Apple teases there is 'a lot to look forward to' in 2012

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Did anyone catch the rainbow Apple logo Tim threw up at the very end. Was he just trying that on for size? Hmm. Maybe a reminder to those struggling from hate that it doesn't matter if you're gay, you too can be CEO of the largest company in the world.

So has there ever been any proof of that, or was it just another bad rumor?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

or just a new itv . . . . . . . \

Why in the world would Apple make a television. That's not even a question.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

What else is he going to say - 2012 is going to be a crap year? I don't think so. I like the finance guy - every single quarterly earnings conference call he says the same thing "we have a great pipeline of amazing new products". I bet he has no idea what they got lined up but just says it anyway lol.

Tim Cook heap honest white man, does not speak with forked tongue.

Me think you will eat your words by end of year.

Edit: I see on re-reading you are talking about 'the finance guy' who has no idea. Ok, but still I think Tim Cook is saying that there is something revolutionary coming this year. If there isn't, I'll eat my words.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    If anyone puts an iTV on the market, it will be iTV ( http://www.itv.com ), and no, they won't sell their trademark to Apple. iTV has very aggressively defended its mark and has put Apple on notice twice; once for an internal code name, and the second time because of bloggers like this one. Notice how protective they are: no one else has taken action against Apple BEFORE Apple's product is on the market.

On the other hand, Apple might put out an Apple TV.

I'm skeptical of an Apple television set just yet. This is not 1951. There are very few households thinking about buying their first TV. Almost every TV sold is a replacement for an older one. Since the switchover to HDTV is still quite recent, the market for a set-top box is going to be larger than the market for a replacement TV for the next year or so.

Those new Apple TV icons are pretty, but harder to use. There are too many choices on the screen at once, and it is not as easy as the old UI when you are using a remote control. It takes more clicks to select something than before. This is slavishly copying the iPhone for no good reason. As soon as you get past the buttons, the UI is unchanged. What is the benefit in sacrificing usability for similarity?

Meanwhile, where's the Mac?
  • Reply 44 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

?has put Apple on notice twice?

Which has absolutely no legal power behind it, but yes.

Quote:

I'm skeptical of an Apple television set just yet. This is not 1951.

Exactly.

Quote:

Meanwhile, where's the Mac?

Why would you have expected to hear anything about anything but the iPad yesterday?
  • Reply 45 of 83
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

I'm holding out hope for a Mac Pro this year, if there isn't one by Christmas, then I'm buying the MacMini when it gets a quadcore and desktop performance level of dedicated graphics. The iMac's do not, and will not interest me, because I see them as just batteryless laptops. If I want a laptop, I'll buy a laptop. I have room for a macmini (it can replace the first generation intel macmini.)

You do realize that the CPUs in the iMacs are desktop CPUs right? Laptop graphics and RAM, desktop HDD and CPU.

As far as that rumor from last year about Apple making changes to their entire product line being ambitious, why the hell is that ambitious? We all knew that Ivy Bridge was coming out, we know Apple hasn't kept an iPhone body longer than 2 phones to date, the iPad had a few very minor physical changes, etc. Of course they will refresh their entire product line. Large changes will certainly come to the laptops. I think the iMacs will still be basically the same, but I think they may kill the MP and replace it w/something else, the same way the Power Mac was replaced w/the Mac Pro. It will be something a bit smaller, still with expansion possibilities, but then 4 USB3 and 3 Thunderbolt. If they stick to Xeons, prices won't come down much (if at all), but if they make smaller units that would certainly cost less due to less materials.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

You do realize that the CPUs in the iMacs are desktop CPUs right? Laptop graphics and RAM, desktop HDD and CPU.

Meanwhile he thinks the Mac Mini will be getting a desktop chip.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would you have expected to hear anything about anything but the iPad yesterday?

I didn't expect to year anything about the Mac yesterday. I was just remarking that it has been a long time since there's been an event about the Mac (meaning MacBook Anythings, iMacs, and MacPros). I'm eager to replace my MacBook Pro and my iMac, both of which came with Tiger, but there have only been incremental technology updates. Retina displays and 802.11ac wifi are close enough that I can't justify replacing them just yet.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I already have an iPad2

I was going to buy the new iPad BUT because it doesn't support Siri I'm NOT going to purchase one until it does.

If Steve had been around he would have told the Siri group to get their finger out and get it ready for the new iPad

what a disppointment for me
  • Reply 49 of 83
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Only thing I would be looking forward to is an XMac.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by market_player View Post

how about my new macpro's timothy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by main1event View Post

need a mac pro

+1

+1

+1

+1

\
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

I was just remarking that it has been a long time since there's been an event about the Mac (meaning MacBook Anythings, iMacs, and MacPros).

Be prepared for something wonderful, then. Soon. It's a shame that it all comes at different times, though.

So Ivy Bridge will give us a standard performance bump, sure. But we expect a case redesign and line combination (at least, I do the latter), removing the optical drive entirely. Finally.

The next update will be Haswell (or will there be a speed bump on Ivy Bridge first?) in 2013. Haswell is expected to give us TWENTY FOUR HOURS OF BATTERY LIFE. I mean MY STARS. Can you IMAGINE. That's a paradigm shift for laptops right there. I also expect Retina screens at the same time.

So yeah, we'll see some good stuff coming with laptops in the next year or so. The Mac Mini will get an Ivy Bridge bump sometime, and hopefully the next iMac release also drops the ODD.

And then there's the question of the Mac Pro, which should (didn't say will or even might) drop the ODD, too.

I want Apple to pull a G3 iMac with the next Mac Pro. Complete case redesign inside and out, drop all legacy connections (okay, keep PCIe accessible), eight Thunderbolt ports, no optical drives. Make the computers themselves daisy-chainable. You want more power? Buy another computer and plug it in. Your model three years old now? Buy a new model and daisy-chain to the old one. Sure, your power draw goes up appreciably, but you'll have their combined power if you want.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think last year they said something similar

Wasn't 2005 the year of HD? Looks like that is finally 2012 if my predictions about HiDPI Macs is correct.

IF this is correct it would go someway to really boosting the momentum of Macs being dragged along with the iOS halo (and the brilliant stores of course.)

Macs have been outpacing PC growth for how many years now?

A 'retina' Mac would be a compelling upgrade to have in eg Macbook Airs/Pros with HiDPI screens to really put the boot in the PC market and tear a hole in HP and Dell in the process. If Apple can do this and keep prices the same then they can ward off any potential flattening off of growth vs the PC market.

I'd sell somebody else's kidney for a retina iMac. (I doubt they'll hit this year?) But If we now have retina screens in a mass volume 10 inch product like the 'New' iPad...surely the 11 inch (and maybe the 13 inch) MacBook Air can't be too far behind?

The iPad's sheer volume should drive adoption and make these screens cheaper over time.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Tim Cook heap honest white man, does not speak with forked tongue.

Me think you will eat your words by end of year.

Edit: I see on re-reading you are talking about 'the finance guy' who has no idea. Ok, but still I think Tim Cook is saying that there is something revolutionary coming this year. If there isn't, I'll eat my words.

I hope you're right. I take it you're referring to the:

iPad 7" OMG what are we going to call this one now

or maybe the

iPhone OMG we can't call it the 5 now so we gonna confuse everyone by calling it nothing.

I wish Steve was still with us.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Quote:

I only agree with this in the sense that Steve wouldn't have allowed "the new iPad" on the website as a delineator between models.

I'm exceptionally glad they're dropping model numbers entirely and happy to have been wrong about their ability to do so despite selling multiple years' worth of product at once.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

As far as that rumor from last year about Apple making changes to their entire product line being ambitious, why the hell is that ambitious? We all knew that Ivy Bridge was coming out, we know Apple hasn't kept an iPhone body longer than 2 phones to date, the iPad had a few very minor physical changes, etc. Of course they will refresh their entire product line. Large changes will certainly come to the laptops. I think the iMacs will still be basically the same, but I think they may kill the MP and replace it w/something else, the same way the Power Mac was replaced w/the Mac Pro. It will be something a bit smaller, still with expansion possibilities, but then 4 USB3 and 3 Thunderbolt. If they stick to Xeons, prices won't come down much (if at all), but if they make smaller units that would certainly cost less due to less materials.

Maybe we will finally see a Mac Pro Mini Tower
  • Reply 56 of 83
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

I only agree with this in the sense that Steve wouldn't have allowed "the new iPad" on the website as a delineator between models.

I'm exceptionally glad they're dropping model numbers entirely and happy to have been wrong about their ability to do so despite selling multiple years' worth of product at once.

I think what happened is that half the management team wanted to call it the iPad 3 and the other half wanted to call it the iPad HD, which why we had so many conflicting rumours. In the past Steve would have stepped in and made the decision but I think maybe Tim Cook just wimped out and decided to call it nothing rather than risk further infighting amongst his management team.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Me too, but I'm also really impressed with Tim Cook's air of complete competence and intelligence.

Also, I think Apple's most revolutionary product is yet to come, and Steve was in on it, and Tim Cook knows a good thing when he sees it and can get behind it and flog it mercilessly. Don't know if it will come this year, but we need it now, whatever it is.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireDune View Post

Maybe we will finally see a Mac Pro Mini Tower

The xMac will never exist.

Quote:

…I think maybe Tim Cook just wimped out and decided to call it nothing rather than risk further infighting amongst his management team.

I highly doubt that. Sounds more like iPad 3 was just the common sense name assumed by the rumor community and iPad HD was a false name put out to catch leaks.

The thought of Tim Cook wimping out doesn't jive with how the rest of the universe works.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    Quote:

Be prepared for something wonderful, then. Soon. It's a shame that it all comes at different times, though.

So Ivy Bridge will give us a standard performance bump, sure. But we expect a case redesign and line combination (at least, I do the latter), removing the optical drive entirely. Finally.

The next update will be Haswell (or will there be a speed bump on Ivy Bridge first?) in 2013. Haswell is expected to give us TWENTY FOUR HOURS OF BATTERY LIFE. I mean MY STARS. Can you IMAGINE. That's a paradigm shift for laptops right there. I also expect Retina screens at the same time.

So yeah, we'll see some good stuff coming with laptops in the next year or so. The Mac Mini will get an Ivy Bridge bump sometime, and hopefully the next iMac release also drops the ODD.

And then there's the question of the Mac Pro, which should (didn't say will or even might) drop the ODD, too.

I want Apple to pull a G3 iMac with the next Mac Pro. Complete case redesign inside and out, drop all legacy connections (okay, keep PCIe accessible), eight Thunderbolt ports, no optical drives. Make the computers themselves daisy-chainable. You want more power? Buy another computer and plug it in. Your model three years old now? Buy a new model and daisy-chain to the old one. Sure, your power draw goes up appreciably, but you'll have their combined power if you want.

Some good points. Ivy Bridge is going to really help products like the Mini and the integrated crappics of the Air. There's been some 'reasonable' gaming benchmarks for Ivy Bridge. (It varies according to the game...) Maybe the days of 'sucky' integrated graphics are coming to an end.

With Ivy Bridge being able to driver ever higher resolutions I do wonder about HiDPI Macs arriving eventually... Maybe in 'Macbooks' 1st.

Where you had me really nodding my head was on the iMac G3 comment re: the next Pro. It's due a bit of a kicking. It's about time something on the Mac line took at design beating. Most of the designs are almost Xen like...perfect in a sense.

But the Mac Pro's mandate may well have been overtaken by time. If the Mini and laptops can pack the power they do in such a tiny footprint and the top end iMac pulls around the lower end Mac Pros then it's time for a change. And no face lift either.

Something a bit more compact. Something to appease up all the X-Mac placard wavers. A bit like the king is dead...long live the king.

I hope Apple has something up it's sleeve on this one.

The Pro is a good design. But with no significant changes in nearly a decade that really is taking the p*ss.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Might this include facetime over 4G? Or the ability to facetime with non iPhone users? You'd think by now Apple and the carriers would have that figured out. Maybe they're saving it for the new iPhone? But if your first introduction to 4G is on the iPad why not include facetime as well?