Apple sells out of launch-day iPads, new orders ship by March 19

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    For the aussies, it's slipped to "by March 22". For those of us who got in early, like moi it's showing as before, "Delivers between March 16-22 via Standard Shipping". At least I won't have to worry about queuing up on the 16th at the only Apple Store within a few thousand miles in any direction.

Also, my Mass Effect 3 for Xbox360 should be on its way from the UK(?) (Ozgameshop)... Saw it in the ~equivalent of Wallmart here yesterday, which was very surprising. Anyway I'll wait for mine to be delivered, might arrive at the same time or maybe before the iPad [3]. I'm all first world problem'd up in here. Never felt better.

Good times to come.
  • Reply 102 of 121
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaicka View Post

In Singapore, one of the countries for 16th March launch, is now seeing all iPad models ship date slips to 22nd March. It's likely an indication of very strong demand, esp. when many iPad 1 users skipped the upgrade to iPad 2 last year.

Yeah, same for Australia. Good to see Singapore now on first-tier-country iPad launch status. Be sure to keep an eye out for tons of Malaysians invading to get the new iPad, not out in Malaysia even after 2nd round of iPad launches.
  • Reply 103 of 121
    This is first time I've ordered on per-order. Stayed up till 1am waiting for the UK to come back online (Apple launches seem to equate to denial of service attack). This morning I received a text saying my delivery has shipped ... Gone from 38 years old to 8. Like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Dam you Apple
  • Reply 104 of 121
    Got my shipping confirmation yesterday and it's being shipped via FedEx but the tracking didn't show anything until just a few minutes ago. It's already in Nashville. Too bad it looks like it's not going anywhere until the 16th. Under Details is says "Future delivery requested."
  • Reply 105 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, permanently.

Anyone spotted his new name yet?
  • Reply 106 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Anyone spotted his new name yet?

Well, unless he moved or is using a proxy, he doesn't have a new account yet. Good riddance, really.

At any rate, he'd be spotted immediately. Keep an eye out, I guess.
  • Reply 107 of 121
    I received an email from Apple this morning with the tracking info that my iPad 3 has been shipped from Middletown, PA by FedEx standard overnight delivery and I should be getting it on Monday or Tuesday. So, Apple is ahead of schedule on delivering their products. My Apple TV has not been shipped yet and is still showing March 16 as the delivery date.
  • Reply 108 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djain1027 View Post

I received an email from Apple this morning with the tracking info that my iPad 3 has been shipped from Middletown, PA by FedEx standard overnight delivery and I should be getting it on Monday or Tuesday. So, Apple is ahead of schedule on delivering their products. My Apple TV has not been shipped yet and is still showing March 16 as the delivery date.

No, you'll get your delivery date pushed back for the iPad.
  • Reply 109 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

This is first time I've ordered on per-order... Gone from 38 years old to 8. Like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Dam you Apple

Same here only from 54 to 4

I've read a few stories regarding those early orders that end up in the hands of their respective buyers ahead of Apple's delivery date. Just for the record, has anyone ever got their shipment early?
  • Reply 110 of 121

Odd...

I ordered a CCK and a charger for my granddaughter on the same order as the new iPad and AppleTv.

The CCK and charger shipped yesterday from China and went directly to Memphis (where it was cleared) and is in transit -- it will deliver on the 13th.

The iPad was picked up today at Ontario, CA (60 miles East of LA) -- it shows delivery on the 16th.

The iPad is still processing and shows delivery on the 16th.

The 2 shipments are FedEx -- no DHL.

This tells me that some iPads were preshipped and cleared to Ontario rather than through Alaska and Oakland, CA -- the normal routing of Apple shipments from China to the SF Bay Area.

I worked for Lockheed at the Ontario airport in 1960-1963... And there was no massive storage/warehousing facility anywhere nearby... Except, Lockheed had 4 massive hangars that, each could house 3 Constellation size planes... I wonder...

Has anyone else noticed that their iPad is shipping from the US.

• Reply 111 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

leave early? are you mad.

You have to start sniffing and coughing here and there all week and then friday just call out the whole day.

The true pro would call in, or leave early Thursday
  • Reply 112 of 121
    Quote:

i rather agree with this. I don't need to have a Finder to see the files but it would be nice if they went to one common bin so if I decide, for example, to change PDF readers, the files don't have to be emailed to myself or synced to the computer and back. they are just there ready to go

I expect to see Apple implement an iOS feature that allows:

1) An app to register the type of files it can handle

2) The user when creating or sharing a file to optionally allow other apps access (read, write, none)

• Reply 113 of 121
    Hi guys,

Got a quick question:

Are these new Apple products often sold out right after launch?

I'm going to Tampa, Florida the 23rd, and was planning to buy a new iPad, but won't get my hopes too high if they usual sell out right after launch!

I hope you americans can share your experience with that

Thanks in advance

Viktor
  • Reply 114 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slothen View Post

Hi guys,

Got a quick question:

Are these new Apple products often sold out right after launch?

I'm going to Tampa, Florida the 23rd, and was planning to buy a new iPad, but won't get my hopes too high if they usual sell out right after launch!

I hope you americans can share your experience with that

Thanks in advance

Viktor

Usually sold out...

Apple, often, on its web site, posts a list of stores that have new product in stock...

Some people bounce around among resellers -- BestBuy, Target, Radio Shack...

You may get lucky and call in and have them hold/reserve a model for you!

Worth a try!

Good luck!

• Reply 115 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Usually sold out...

Apple, often, on its web site, posts a list of stores that have new product in stock...

Some people bounce around among resellers -- BestBuy, Target, Radio Shack...

You may get lucky and call in and have them hold/reserve a model for you!

Worth a try!

Good luck!

Oh bummer!

Thanks for replying

I might call one of the stores a few day before departure. I guess that's the limit for them to hold a model.

They wont come to Denmark in a few months, and as a photographer I've waited sooo long on this so I thought it was perfect timing for my trip and the new release
  • Reply 116 of 121
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    According to USA Today demand for the new iPad is off the charts and there is a limit of 2 per customer. Makes me wonder why was it necessary to add a limit on the number of tablets any one customer can buy at a time. I cannot wait until the first sales figures come out. LOL

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...out/53463592/1
  • Reply 117 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

Makes me wonder why was it necessary to add a limit on the number of tablets any one customer can buy at a time.

It's an attempt to stop scalpers.
  • Reply 118 of 121
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

According to USA Today demand for the new iPad is off the charts and there is a limit of 2 per customer. Makes me wonder why was it necessary to add a limit on the number of tablets any one customer can buy at a time. I cannot wait until the first sales figures come out. LOL

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...out/53463592/1

In Singapore, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, 3rd Generation iPad, there was a quantity limit at launch/pre-orders.

Over here it's totally necessary. And here is why:

As of 9th March, 1 day after the product announcement, the delivery date has already slipped to 22nd March.

As of now 11th March, 3 days after the product announcement, the delivery date has already slipped to 2-3 weeks.

That's how crazy the demand is over here. And the retail stores are already filled with long waiting list orders. Won't be surprise to see a crazy queue on 16th March, expecting it to be more crazy than iPad 2 launch.

Note: The 7th March (US time) product announcement is actually wee hours (to be exact, 0200hrs) of 8th March Singapore time.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

For those of us who want to be able to create and save files, the additional resolution does nothing to improve our user experience. Every two bit crapware app on the device has its own sandbox. Why doesn't the owner of the device also get a small sandbox that they can use to save files to? Every stupid app can have access to the camera roll except Safari.

Not being able to upload a photo to a website is a major pain in the ass. Every content management platform now has to have their own iOS app just because you cannot upload photos through the browser. That is why we have a Craigslist app, a Wordpress app, a Facebook app, a match.com app etc, etc. Why? Simply because you cannot get at your photos from within the browser. This crap is annoying. Do people really think this is a better system than a real computer?

repeat after me, "the iPad is a luxury", thus if an iPad can not do it, just use a computer...
  • Reply 120 of 121
    Quote:

i rather agree with this. I don't need to have a Finder to see the files but it would be nice if they went to one common bin so if I decide, for example, to change PDF readers, the files don't have to be emailed to myself or synced to the computer and back. they are just there ready to go

It used to be the case with iOS release 1.0

Obviously, with the iOS, Apple decided to change how people should work with the new category of device and that's how your frustration came to being, coming from the traditional computing device like desktop/laptop where Finder, desktop is the place to start with.

Fast forward to 2012, your complain is nullified by the advent of services like iCloud and DropBox or even file browser like, FileBrowser on iPad. They are the bin you are looking for. Obviously, it need other apps to get it function. In the case of pdf files, if your favourite iOS apps does not support the "... open in" dialog, then you can do nothing because iOS now have the capabilies to let you do what you want from the example you have given. Alternatively, if your chosen pdf reader apps does not support iCloud or DropBox storage, then it is not Apple fault for not providing you with the bin, is it?