FTC subpoenas Apple for iOS search data in antitrust probe of Google

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014


The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has subpoenaed Apple in an effort to learn how it uses Google's search functionality on iOS devices as part of an ongoing antitrust investigation into Google.



Two people familiar with the subpoena gave the details to Bloomberg, which filed a report on Tuesday. The FTC reportedly seeks the contracts that were signed by Apple and Google which made Google the default search engine on devices like the iPhone and iPad.



Apple isn't alone in being subpoenaed, either. It was also said that "other handset makers and wireless carriers" were also brought in to the FTC's investigation, though none were specifically named.



The FTC began its civil antitrust investigation against Google in earnest last year, in an effort to determine whether the company's search engine practices are anticompetitive. Google's search and advertising business accounts for the lion's share of its business, though the FTC investigation also includes other products, like the Android operating system.



"The FTC is examining whether the company unfairly increases advertising rates for competitors and ranks search results to favor its own business, such as its networking site Google+," Tuesday's latest report said. It added that the FTC wants to find out "whether the company is using its control of the Android mobile operating system to harm competition."



Eric Schmidt, Google's chairman and former chief executive, testified before a U.S. Senate antitrust subcommittee last November and publicly declared that Apple's Siri voice assistant feature in the iPhone 4S could pose a "competitive threat" to Google's core business. He cited two publications that called Siri a "Google killer" and Apple's "entry point" into the search business in an effort to convince the committee that Google has many strong competitors in the online search market.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Sure, we'll help any way we can to shut down Google. No problem.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 451member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Sure, we'll help any way we can to shut down Google. No problem.



    +++++
  • Reply 3 of 12
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Siri is absolutely Apple's way of tackling Google search. The one thing easier that navigating to your browser and typing is holding a button then talking.



    Why then didn't they bring Siri to the new iPad in full? If you are going to do dictation why not allow the user to reschedule a meeting or ask about the weather etc. I'm sure Apple have their reasons but they would be interesting to know.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,774member
    This is just retaliation against Google for going up against the SOPA act. Apple should decline to get involved. The federal government doesn't have a right to my private information.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Let's see how much of a lie "do no evil" really was
  • Reply 6 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post


    Let's see how much of a lie "do no evil" really was



    As I understand it, that was their internal mantra. It never really applied to the public.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post


    This is just retaliation against Google for going up against the SOPA act. Apple should decline to get involved. The federal government doesn't have a right to my private information.



    Apple can't decline to cooperate with a US FTC subpoena. Doing so is against the law. In any case, why would Apple want to get on the wrong side of the FTC. Apple is now large enough to worry about its own anti-trust practices, if any, in the future.



    I hope the FTC would also look into Google's search engine anti-privacy practices too or at least expose them so Congress can put a stop to it. I hope Siri comes out of beta and comes to all of Apple's products. It's my guess that the new iPad can get Siri through a software upgrade when it's ready for prime time.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post


    Siri is absolutely Apple's way of tackling Google search. The one thing easier that navigating to your browser and typing is holding a button then talking.



    Why then didn't they bring Siri to the new iPad in full? If you are going to do dictation why not allow the user to reschedule a meeting or ask about the weather etc. I'm sure Apple have their reasons but they would be interesting to know.



    Perhaps that's what iOS 6 is for. Last time I checked, Siri is still a beta.



    Off topic, what's Apple going to do about naming iOS releases? A new number every year? OSX releases at least have "points". What happens in 10 years? iOS 16? Same problem Apple avoided with dubbing the new iPad the "iPad".
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post


    This is just retaliation against Google for going up against the SOPA act. Apple should decline to get involved. The federal government doesn't have a right to my private information.



    What private info? The article is referring to contracts between Apple and Google. So it's their private info, not yours. Headline is misleading.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    As I understand it, that was their internal mantra. It never really applied to the public.



    Not quite true. They have used it publicly.



    For example:

    http://www.google.com/about/company/tenthings.html

    "you can make money without being evil".
  • Reply 11 of 12
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Enrich schmidt, who's name sounds like a Gestapo officer, is probably the most evil c. (for conniver) in the tech world, his now famous quote that if you don't want something to be known you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place is sheer 1984 big brother.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    Enrich schmidt, who's name sounds like a Gestapo officer, is probably the most evil c. (for conniver) in the tech world, his now famous quote that if you don't want something to be known you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place is sheer 1984 big brother.



    lol...I'm sure there's an internet law that pertains to your comment.
Sign In or Register to comment.