AT&T offers settlement to iPhone user who sued over 3G throttling

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pjgchicago View Post

This guy was a data hog, pure and simple. Using 3G from his bed (Hello! WiFi anyone?) Anyway, AT&T is not to blame here. Lets face it, there is not enough bandwidth to go around and that means all carriers don't have enough. When continued investment by carriers and with more spectrum made available (I hope), things should improve within a few years. But don't whine and complain and support these data hogs who are causing these problems for moderate users.

So, are you a paid shill for the telecoms?
  • Reply 22 of 73
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

This guy was a data hog, pure and simple. Using 3G from his bed (Hello! WiFi anyone?) Anyway, AT&T is not to blame here. Lets face it, there is not enough bandwidth to go around and that means all carriers don't have enough. When continued investment by carriers and with more spectrum made available (I hope), things should improve within a few years. But don't whine and complain and support these data hogs who are causing these problems for moderate users.

So basically the federal government is to blame here on some level. They are being slow, inefficient and unresponsive.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:

Perhaps your missing the major point in that year after year AT&T has provided crappy signal with every excuse under the sun. And now they can't even deliver hotspot functionality for the new iPad launch. AT&T signals are the worst - always have been- dropped calls-rated at the bottom of every consumer poll - year after year. We're not making this up. It's history.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

It does not mention speed so exactly what part of the contract is being violated?

Tell that to the man who just successfully sued AT&T and won for them throttling him. now are you a lawyer if not shut the f*ck up dude.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Yes. Limited bandwidth. A few pigs at the trough spoil it for everyone else.

FALSE. There is no evidence whatsoever of that.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Yes. Limited bandwidth. A few pigs at the trough spoil it for everyone else.

I take offense to your analogy. I don't use a fraction of my monthly allotment (although it's unlimited). I'm only using ~ 1 GB. Surely I'm within the 95%. Yet you call us all pigs in your analogy.

Quote:

Flawed forward planning by the carriers is to blame. Why they ever offered unlimited data in the first place is beyond me.

This IS the real problem. Their too greedy to expand the bandwidth. As why they offered unlimited in the first place. It's because they wanted to suck people like me dry while justifying why I should pay their extortive monthly prices in the first place. They knew they over-booked the seating at the show (Animal Farm playing).
  • Reply 27 of 73
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

Good for him. I wouldn't settle either, tell them to shove off and put them on blast.

This!
  • Reply 28 of 73
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:

This guy was a data hog, pure and simple. Using 3G from his bed

Again, false. There is no evidence of that.

The responsibility is on the provider- this bs where it;s thrown on their customers is the most ridiculous profit strategy I have ever heard.

Only people who don't understand technology at all and are sensitive to playground mentalities of sharing and being greedy like we are talking about cookies at nap time fall into line and side with ATT. By the way, all of these opines on the matter along these lines is strictly emotional knee jerk sensationalism and have zero impact whatsoever to resolve technical problems. So yea, how does it feel to be manipulated by ATT's successful marketing campaign to define bandwidth in a self serving profiteering manner hook line and sinker?

because on a technical level- nothing they have released jives with reality.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HverbeckCtacey View Post

This guy was a data hog, pure and simple

• Reply 30 of 73
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Most likely there is nothing in your contract about guaranteed minimum connection speed so what exactly was violated?

It was implied that I was buying a 3G service. To me that means 3G speeds. If you purchased a house, wouldn't you consider the mortgage contract void if they later came and tore it down and put up a shed?
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

This has very little to do with lack of planning. it is plain greed. Any network admin worth his or her salt can look at bandwidth usage and know when they are reaching capacity. Rather than increasing capacity to meet new customers being added, AT&T is throttling existing customers to allow them to bring in yet more customers on an already saturated pipe.

They are blaming the users, but is is they who are responsible for managing their pipes given their current capacity. Selling a user a contract for unlimited bandwidth, and then complaining when they use it is idiotic. I still can't believe that they allow these phone companies to change any terms of a contact at any time. That isn't a contract, and it offers no protection at all to the consumer. I can't understand why congress continues to allow this to happen.

No telecom company PLANNED for a 5000% increase in data use over three years. NOBODY did. These companies have been planning and investing billions, though it may not be enough for you to blow time on YouTube. They aren't blaming any users! They merely ask users to start paying for what they use. This is not a tough concept. Nor is it unfair.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:

No telecom company PLANNED for a 5000% increase in data use over three years. NOBODY did. These companies have been planning and investing billions, though it may not be enough for you to blow time on YouTube. They aren't blaming any users! They merely ask users to start paying for what they use. This is not a tough concept. Nor is it unfair.

So when do they pay us back for all those dropped calls?
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:

This guy was a data hog, pure and simple. Using 3G from his bed (Hello! WiFi anyone?) Anyway, AT&T is not to blame here. Lets face it, there is not enough bandwidth to go around and that means all carriers don't have enough.

I believe that once the carriers stop running commercials showing people who appear to upload and download videos all day long on the super-fast LTE network.

BTW, I hit 3GB a month (and got the lovely warning - WTF, I should use WiFi ?! - what am I paying stupid AT&T ~$120/month for???) for streaming an international radio station during my commute each day. That's a couple of hours of rather low bandwidth 128kbps (kilo, not mega) a day. I think it is dishonest to the extreme from AT&T to advertise heavy video use on their wonderful network but if you use it for a bit of radio streaming, suddenly you are a data hog and you are endangering the billion dollar network infrastructure. Please....
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

Again, false. There is no evidence of that.

The responsibility is on the provider- this bs where it;s thrown on their customers is the most ridiculous profit strategy I have ever heard.

Only people who don't understand technology at all and are sensitive to playground mentalities of sharing and being greedy like we are talking about cookies at nap time fall into line and side with ATT. By the way, all of these opines on the matter along these lines is strictly emotional knee jerk sensationalism and have zero impact whatsoever to resolve technical problems. So yea, how does it feel to be manipulated by ATT's successful marketing campaign to define bandwidth in a self serving profiteering manner hook line and sinker?

because on a technical level- nothing they have released jives with reality.

Of course it is and if users USE MORE DATA, they should and will pay more. It's a pretty simple concept. You are just of of the "takers" out there who wants it for free, blames everyone and anyone and doesn't take the time to understand technology or what is really happening in the industry and with data usage. It is NOT an AT&T problem; it's an industry problem. Perhaps the "unlimited" plan was not a great idea, not was it smart for data hogs like you to expect a free ride. Hop on the toll rode buddy and grab your change.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

It was implied that I was buying a 3G service. To me that means 3G speeds. If you purchased a house, wouldn't you consider the mortgage contract void if they later came and tore it down and put up a shed?

They didn't throttle it to below 3G speeds.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

The problem is someone has already won their case with AT&T arguing the same point you are.

Problem is that's just one small claims court judge. It's not like it's going to open any floodgates by setting a legal precedent.

I think the eventual shakeout of this is that ATT no longer grandfathers anyone into unlimited (I never understood why they did that anyway) and then within about 12 months, everyone is on a tiered plan or on a sinking ship (Sprint).
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

So basically the federal government is to blame here on some level. They are being slow, inefficient and unresponsive.

I fail to see how another law will help things. Didn't the current ones work? The man petitioned the court with his grievance and won. Precedence for others like me who wish to follow suit (pun intended).

I do not think it's proper for T to artificially limit speeds while claiming unlimited and stating UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ without footnotes.

I also do not like that T treats tethered differently but that is clearly spelled out in the agreement.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:

Of course it is and if users USE MORE DATA, they should and will pay more. It's a pretty simple concept. You are just of of the "takers" out there who wants it for free, blames everyone and anyone and doesn't take the time to understand technology or what is really happening in the industry and with data usage. It is NOT an AT&T problem; it's an industry problem. Perhaps the "unlimited" plan was not a great idea, not was it smart for data hogs like you to expect a free ride. Hop on the toll rode buddy and grab your change.

• Reply 39 of 73
    So then the fault is AT&T's. Don't sell fraudulent "unlimited" plans and then whine when users actually use it. Especially when they are doing the things your ad claims they can do. Poor AT&T whatever will they do with themselves. As brought up before if they are so hard up for spectrum how were they able to give some away to TMobile? Why would they have even made that part of the deal if they didn't have it to spare?
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Don't be surprised once the new iPhone arrives in Oct if AT&T doesn't end unlimited contracts because it will be 4G LTE and not 3G anymore. I hope that prompts an exodus once and for all. The bastards!

I'm surprised they haven't with thenewipad. Although for the case of the iPhone, until 5.1 my phone said 3G with HSPA+. More than a technicality. At&T can't have it both ways.