Apple announces new iPad will go on sale at 8 a.m. local time on Friday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

Of course anybody could buy 2 iPads and have them delivered to their home or office on Friday and save the hassle of standing in line.

And, of course, many people standing in line already bought their two iPads for delivery and are looking to buy more so they can sell them at a profit to those who don't wish to stand in line or wait for the back orders to fill.

Sell for profit? Now that would be the only logical reason I can think of, but still, it'd be rather low pay per hour.

Otherwise, I always wondered if camping in cities is even legal. Eating and drinking works without moving, but how do they handle the bathroom stuff without losing their places in line?

I'd want $50 per hour and a free MacBook Air for even pretending to stand/sit in some line, pretending to buy a DRM'ed gadget...
  • Reply 22 of 26
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Thanks to the International dateline, Australia will have them first.

The suburban phone store I work at may have already received stock.

It looks like there will be lots of them available.

I still don't know if the 4G will be compatible or which version we will get, as the carriers have not really started rolling out networks yet.

Mine is in Sydney now, awaiting release for TNT to send it over here.

Please update us on when you see stock arriving and can let us know.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

I'm so happy that Apple offered preorders this year, I didn't relish standing in line again.

I've done my time, so pre-ordered this round. That said, it was very unique circumstances when I last queued up in line.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcartesius View Post

...Eating and drinking works without moving, but how do they handle the bathroom stuff without losing their places in line?

For bathrooms, there's one in the Apple Store, and like Regent Street in London, there's an automated public restroom thing open 24 hours a day less than a few blocks away. People that have lined up find that the atmosphere is supportive and jovial, keeping your place in line is not a big issue if you discuss accordingly with your fellow queuers.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IT HAS ARRRRIVED* 1 HOUR AGO!!!

Electronically Lodged 15/03/2012 \t14:28:25 \tSydney Priority

Received in Depot \t 15/03/2012 \t16:05:58 \tSydney Priority

*Sighted in Depot \t 15/03/2012 \t16:27:06 \tPerth

So should be at my doorstep tomorrow. Gotta go out in the afternoon though. Hope I can pick up from them later in the afternoon tomorrow.

What a phenomenal experience. Still pinching myself here. Unbelievable.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Ordered the evening of the announcement, once their web servers started actually working! Got the shipping notice last Friday, it said the unit had been picked up and was at a FedEx location in PA. As with others, it was for overnight service, but restricted to being delivered by the 16th.

So they are paying for overnight service even though the unit will be held for a full week by the carrier? And we wonder why their products are so expensive?

So today I see it finally moved from PA to NJ (final delivery is in NYC). I assume today it will move to the NYC depot to be out on trucks tomorrow. I still am not sure why we paid (indirectly) for overnight... they could have given it to a bicycle messenger who could have got it from pickup to the NYC depot by Mon/Tues this week. Going to be interesting to see exactly what hour it arrives tomorrow... typically FedEx delivers mid day in my hood...