Customers, press amass for launch of Apple's new iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Steve Wozniak - Apple co-founder - lines up for hours with 'the people' to get his iPad?

Oh man, that is fantastic!!!

What an inspiration and an exemplary attitude for eschewing favouritism and nepotism.

After the public display of camaraderie with the Nexus guys, Woz probably should make amends...
  • Reply 22 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're not ALL bad, they do also offer the best in displays.

I don't see any evidence of that in their products. Super AMOLED+ isn't exactly winning on any accuracy fronts. From what I can tell Apple's IPS Retina Displays have been designed by LG with Samung being the manufacturer. That doesn't make them Samsung displays unless we start calling everythign that comes from a certain factory a Foxconn product.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    This isn't the works of Apple fanfare but the quality of the product Apple created.

The "Woz", another legend in Apple's history... I like how real and down to earth this man is.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then I really am an anti-queuite because that it not how I'd want to spend my time or show respect to a company I founded.

I think its more a showing of respect to the customers that have sent said company into the stratosphere.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Woz is Woz. Woz is what Woz does.

The man is unique, for sure. Its kinda cute but it is also kinda... weird. I would understand that he goes to conventions and such, mingling with the 'normal people', but spending the night with a handful strangers sleeping on the sidewalk seems a little masochistic imo, He really is the übergeek.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    He was portrayed as sort of a kid in Isaacson's book. He definitely seems to have retained that innocence.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The man is unique, for sure. Its kinda cute but it is also kinda... weird. I would understand that he goes to conventions and such, mingling with the 'normal people', but spending the night with a handful strangers sleeping on the sidewalk seems a little masochistic imo, He really is the übergeek.

• Reply 27 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I agree with this. He seems like a nice, genuine fella, but I can't even begin to understand where he's coming from with wanting to stand outside. And being weird isn't a bad thing it's just an unusual thing. Perhaps the world would be a better place with more Woz's and less Jobs's.

If I could have gotten a pre-release iPad I would have taken it. Hell, I kind of want to become a successful tech blogger just so I can get pre-release HW.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    +1

5 chars.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Hello, I am the press. I have to write down everything that happens. What a retarded job.

Oops, I injected my politics in to my writing again, funny how I always do that.

Oops, I loved the sound of my own voice again, sorry.

Signed.

the amassed press

• Reply 29 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

I don't see any evidence of that in their products. Super AMOLED+ isn't exactly winning on any accuracy fronts. From what I can tell Apple's IPS Retina Displays have been designed by LG with Samung being the manufacturer. That doesn't make them Samsung displays unless we start calling everythign that comes from a certain factory a Foxconn product.

So they make a display designed by a competing company for a tablet by another competing company?

Gotta make money somehow, right? Because they're not making much with their tablet offering.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Steve Wozniak - Apple co-founder - lines up for hours with 'the people' to get his iPad?

Oh man, that is fantastic!!!

What an inspiration and an exemplary attitude for eschewing favouritism and nepotism.

I think you mis-spelled "what a swelled head that he thinks anyone else cares how he spends his time".
  • Reply 31 of 70
    njmaxnjmax Posts: 8member
    Arrived at Walmart last night at 10 pm for the midnight launch there. A tame croud and was about 8th in line and got my Black 32 GB Wifi model. A little tired but glad I have it in hand.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I think you mis-spelled "what a swelled head that he thinks anyone else cares how he spends his time".

Eh? Do you reckon Woz arranged to be interviewed while in the queue? Or am I just naive?
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:

I can't wrap my head around Woz waiting in line all night for an Apple product. I assume he could probably have been giving some early access if he wanted so this seems to be focused around publicity. Maybe he enjoys the waiting but my distaste for waiting can't let me see past how one could find it enjoyable even when they don't have to.

I don't really get it either. I once queue'd for the London store opening, since then I have no idea why I did. It was basically just standing in the freezing cold for hours followed by seeing a shop that looked the same as pictures of other shops.

I ordered by iPad the day it came out and it should come this evening. I'm not sure having it a few hours earlier is worth standing outside for hours and using up a days holiday.

Some people obviously like it though.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:

Eh? Do you reckon Woz arranged to be interviewed while in the queue? Or am I just naive?

I really doubt he arranged it. Otherwise, he would have arranged for someone more important to interview him. I would imagine that someone else in the line tweeted that Woz was there at the Apple Store. Someone from this site saw it on twitter and went out with a low budget camera and question girl. It's only semi-professional quality at best.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

This isn't the works of Apple fanfare but the quality of the product Apple created.

You've got it all wrong. This is the fruit of clever marketing.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course, you could say the same for any user of Twitter or Facebook.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Stock seems to be far better this time around, popped into the local Apple Store in Cardiff and picked my new 32gb iPad up no problems. The local Curry's have stock too.

Nice to be able to get a new Apple product easisly for a change.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I happen to believe those are Apple employees disguised as customers.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Your time is worth precisely nothing.

Says the man posting in response to someone whose time is worth nothing...... ah, the irony!
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

any lineups at the Grand Central Station?, or to they allow them?... that place is massive!!! (Grand Central Station)

Yes, but you wouldn't know it. When you look at the Apple Store there you see a bunch of people at the top of the stairs and a bunch of police officers at the bottom of the stairs (one set of stairs is cordoned off with the velvet rope).

If you try to go up the stairs you are directed to the line which is about a 100 yards out of the way along one of the metro north tracks. They must be letting people in with passes or something as they have room upstairs. It looked like a sea of people by the train tracks. I have no idea how far back it went.