Apple's slimmer 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros in production - report

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 109
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    So you're another one who doesn't understand the meaning of the word 'viable'?



    Pray tell, what is it that makes Ethernet on a Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter not viable?



    How many times do you need people to tell you, you are exhausting their patience after some point, read the other thread we had here, it's not a viable option to carry around with you adapters for basic out of the box functionality, adapters break, get lost, get misplaced, get forgoten and all these don't make them viable options for usage when you need to just stick a cable in your MacBook and join a network in a conference, at work, in a hotel, at a uni, or any of the countless scenarios of usage where Ethernet network access becomes a necessity.



    How long more are you going to keep asking for people to explain to you the same thing over and over again?
  • Reply 82 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    I'm not sure what language you think you're using. In this context, 'viable' means 'practicable, capable of working'. Clearly an external Ethernet adapter is capable of working. So please explain once again why it won't work - and why anyone would sell a product that doesn't work?



    Clearly, it's viable. The fact that you don't like it doesn't mane it non-viable, either.



    It isn't a question of like, Ethernet dongles are a non starter in many organizations.
  • Reply 83 of 109
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    The day of announcement. Since they've not announced them yet, they can't be late.



    indeed. In fact they don't really 'announce' updated computers that much anymore. They just update the site and there they are.



    As for the rumors. Apple already makes a slimmer 13 inch Macbook Pro, it's called the 13 inch Air. So that's likely a valid bit. They are possibly updating the displays etc on them to bring them a bit closer to the Pro with the intention of slowly moving that Pro model out of the lineup so it's merely the Air at 11 and 13 and the Pro at 15 and 17.



    Is it possible they will reduce the pro to only the 17. Maybe. But I don't think it will happen right now. I think they will keep the 15 in the game for a bit longer. For higher end users that don't want the 17. the 15s sell enough to warrant that. Do I think they might make a 15 inch Air even this year. Perhaps. But i'm not selling the house or my soul based on Digitimes as the only source. That's a suckers bet on the losing side
  • Reply 84 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post


    I only recall support for 2x rather than it being truly resolution independent.



    apples documentation is pretty clear, they tell developers that non integer multipliers are possible. Now that being said they will likely take the easy way out and double the resolution. It really comes down to their ability to source large panels in 2X pixel density. If they can't get the hardware then either high resolution panels are out of the question or they compromise. Honest a 1.5x increase in pixel density would still be pretty impressive visually.

    Quote:



    CNC is pretty awesome. I've read complaints about buckling and flex issues from people who drag their macbook pros around quite a lot (it's a laptop, it should be portable). I haven't seen them personally.



    Apple hasn't had an issue yet with strength but I've handled other laptops that where flimsy to say the least! My early 2008 MBP isn't bad at all and I actually thought the newer ones where stiffer. Of course that isn't a 17" machine.



    As to CNC'ed enclosures I actually wonder if Apple will stay on that route for future machines.



    Quote:



    Apple makes design choices. It doesn't mean everyone must automatically agree with their judgement. I find the TB thing a bit awkward because people bring up things like adapters, and even if the dongle solution wasn't flawed, it's quite easy to tie up a single port. The TB chips used in the macbook pros are like that in the imac, meaning they should support two ports unlike the Air which uses a lighter chip.



    In any event my iPad 3 just arrived!!!!😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃



    Obviously this thread has just lost any importance it may have had.
  • Reply 85 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    indeed. In fact they don't really 'announce' updated computers that much anymore. They just update the site and there they are.



    I believe a redesign would constitute a keynote, albeit shorter than the iPad one.



    The iMac gets a keynote on every redesign, and the unibody got a keynote with its introduction.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I like your list, I think many will arrive, think a few are unlikely, and think one is not going to happen. No way 8 GB RAM will be the minimum for a MBP in 2012. I wouldn't expect that until 2014.



    I like Wizard's list too.



    Apple is lucky when it comes to the amount of RAM they include in their machines. They can often get away with shipping just 2GB when PCs are shipping with more because their customers are loyal and gullible and because third party RAM is so cheap that Pro users who feel like Apple ripped them off are just $40 away from being satisfied. An 8GB dual channel PC-10600 kit currently goes for $37 at my local PC shop.



    Of course when retail prices are that low many openly question why Apple couldn't just include more in the first place and keep whatever profit there is on $37 worth of RAM for themselves. The answer lies in the gullible customers who willingly part with $200 to get that RAM pre-installed.



    On the MacBook Air side of things they're relying on people's desire for thin and light to quell any whining about insufficient stock RAM. People are forced to pay Apple prices for additional RAM or shut up and buy a PC.
  • Reply 87 of 109
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post


    Put the ethernet port on the power brick and run power and ethernet over a single thunderbolt cable to the MacBook with a magsafe connector. One cord that's it! Have another thunderbolt port on the power brick to connect one or more CinemaDisplays. That way you come home to your workstation with your MacBook, hook up the magsafe connector and that's it. You have power, ethernet and connection to the CinemaDisplays.



    This is a great idea.
  • Reply 88 of 109
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    In any event my iPad 3 just arrived!!!!😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃



    Obviously this thread has just lost any importance it may have had.



    I love the iPad 3. It gives my company more work to do making my job more secure and it raises the value of my AAPL shares.
  • Reply 89 of 109
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    How many times do you need people to tell you, you are exhausting their patience after some point, read the other thread we had here, it's not a viable option to carry around with you adapters for basic out of the box functionality, adapters break, get lost, get misplaced, get forgoten and all these don't make them viable options for usage when you need to just



    We have lived for lot's of years with DVI (mDVI) and then mDP ports on Mac laptops while projectors stuck to VGA. And since using adaptors was not viable, nobody who occasionally used those projectors bought Mac laptops.



    Not being viable means not surviving in the market. Obviously Mac laptops survived in the market thus your assertion that adaptors are not viable is just a wishful projection (ie, hoping to convince as many people that Mac laptops would not be viable and thus convincing, indirectly, Apple not to release such machines).



    And I wonder how all those MBA's without Ethernet are selling in such huge numbers if they are not viable.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post


    This is a great idea.



    Whoever thinks mounting an external file system over an easily disconnectable connection is a great idea has great faith in the resilience of file systems.
  • Reply 91 of 109
    I love the 13" MBA I got last year and, at home, it's mostly hooked up to the 27" Thunderbolt Display. It's great for long business trips but I do yearn for a 15" screen every now and then. A 15" MBA that still weighs only 3 pounds would be the holy grail - for at least a few years.
  • Reply 92 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post


    I love the iPad 3. It gives my company more work to do making my job more secure and it raises the value of my AAPL shares.



    This is one impressive little tablet! The upgrade from the original iPad is like night and day.



    I have to ask though what exactly are you doing with the iPad? Just for curiosity sake.
  • Reply 93 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


    Whoever thinks mounting an external file system over an easily disconnectable connection is a great idea has great faith in the resilience of file systems.



    The choice of connector for TB is a bit odd, it has all the markings of an executive making a rash decision.
  • Reply 94 of 109
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


    Whoever thinks mounting an external file system over an easily disconnectable connection is a great idea has great faith in the resilience of file systems.



    I agree with this, but I also never liked eSATA connectors. Also regarding file systems, HFS+ has to be one of the buggiest of them all, and it's very poor for external storage systems. I'm not sure how it's still in existence.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


    We have lived for lot's of years with DVI (mDVI) and then mDP ports on Mac laptops while projectors stuck to VGA. And since using adaptors was not viable, nobody who occasionally used those projectors bought Mac laptops.



    Not being viable means not surviving in the market. Obviously Mac laptops survived in the market thus your assertion that adaptors are not viable is just a wishful projection (ie, hoping to convince as many people that Mac laptops would not be viable and thus convincing, indirectly, Apple not to release such machines).



    And I wonder how all those MBA's without Ethernet are selling in such huge numbers if they are not viable.



    Apple actually does a lot of weird things, yet they still move computers. The adapters probably hold that back a bit. If they made adapters comparable in reliability to the rest of the computer that delivered solid connections, they'd work in more areas.
  • Reply 95 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Does Apple not see the competition as competition? When everyone else is championing blu ray, Apple is ditching optical drives altogether.



    While Acer and others were betting the house on net books, Apple was cooking up tablets in its labs.



    Why follow when you can lead, eh?



    Well, so far apple has done very well without blue ray, in fact, I think blue ray is going to be a thing of the past in portable computing very soon, we are going into a free drive future..and mac air is the best evidence...



    George
  • Reply 96 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post


    "1920x1200 displays for 15" "



    without bigger police and UI is too little for me.



    you really want to kill my eyes, no ?



    -

    a retina display will allow the same ratio than now for police and the ui and more details in pictures, documents and all.



    Sony, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Toshiba, and virtually every other mainstream notebook maker has offered 1080p displays on 15" notebooks now for quite a while (meaning several years). Apple is WAY behind the times here. Some, like Sony offer them on screens as small as 13". My 13" Vaio has one and I can't imagine using a larger notebook without it. Go actually try and use one and you'll see that it's fantastic and super crisp.
  • Reply 97 of 109
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    What do we think the internal memory options of the new 13" and 15" MacBook AirPros will be?



    I can't imagine that SSD prices have fallen sufficiently to include 500 GB SSDs let alone 1 TB SSDs at anything like a reasonable price. So will we get hybrid SSD HDD drives?



    Ivy Bridge seems like it is taking aeons to arrive. I guess that since we're all living in a new age of austerity we shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to part with our hard earned cash. If the delay to Ivy Bridge has anything to do with clearing existing inventories of Sandy Bridge laptops, dream on guys.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post


    What do we think the internal memory options of the new 13" and 15" MacBook AirPros will be?



    The technology is there to double the capacity of the 13", though it might not be as cheap as you would like. A 15" AIR is a different story, the capacity problem can be solved easily by adding slots. On top of that add some volume management to stick the drives together and you can have rather large volumes built with today's technology.

    Quote:



    I can't imagine that SSD prices have fallen sufficiently to include 500 GB SSDs let alone 1 TB SSDs at anything like a reasonable price. So will we get hybrid SSD HDD drives?



    Prices are always falling. Part of the problem right now is profit taking. SSD's are expensive because people will pay for the performance.

    Quote:



    Ivy Bridge seems like it is taking aeons to arrive.



    Yep!

    Quote:



    I guess that since we're all living in a new age of austerity we shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to part with our hard earned cash. If the delay to Ivy Bridge has anything to do with clearing existing inventories of Sandy Bridge laptops, dream on guys.



    It all depends upon what is your end use. If your Mac makes money for you an upgraded machine might be well advised. I just hope that not to many are disappointed when they find out that Ivy Bridge is mostly about the GPU.
  • Reply 99 of 109
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Some people will be disappointed just because they like to be disappointed. Apple could give them everything they want in a laptop plus more and they STILL will not be satisfied.



    I do not know if I will be buying an Ivy Bridge machine, though I cannot wait for it to come out just because I want to see the specs. Better though that Intel iron out any problems before releasing it then rushing it out as seemed to happen with Sandy Bridge and then having to backtrack.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    Exactly correct.



    If the new 15" MBPs retain user-upgradable RAM and storage, I'll get one and keep my 13" for when I need an optical drive (I'm one of those who use it frequently). If the new MBPs don't, then I'll order a current top of the line 15" and put 16 GB RAM in it and then see how long it will last.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post


    Some people will be disappointed just because they like to be disappointed. Apple could give them everything they want in a laptop plus more and they STILL will not be satisfied.




Sign In or Register to comment.