Single-core A5 CPU in new 1080p Apple TV doubles RAM to 512MB

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

An HDTV that can't take 720p sounds like it's about 10 years old maybe. It does look like they took away the 1080i for this model.

$1000 gets a pretty sizable TV, $1500 replaces the TV with a new Mitsu of the same size.

It might be simpler to get the previous AppleTV, unless you were intending to get a new receiver anyway. I'd check the Apple online store for refurbished versions of the previous model from time to time.

I've been lobbying my wife to replace the TV for the last year. The Mitsubishi 65813 was a top of the line, state-of-the-art TV for 2003. But state of the art then for rear projection was 9" CRT guns that could actually resolve 1080 dots across (most TVs of the day couldn't). DLP arrived about the same at 720p resolution and 1080p soon after with varying degrees of success. Most of those had crummy scalers and my Mitsu didn't even try...it didn't even accept 720p from external sources and didn't scale 480i/p (displaying natively instead) which is why I passed on the previous 720p Apple TV.

These days, it isn't that hard to find a LED LCD or plasma set that blows away my old Mitsu in all respects. All of them have scalers that are better than many outbound scalers from 5 years ago. But 65" or larger sets can still be expensive, especially if you are a picky videophile like myself. If I get another 65" set, it will actually look smaller since the old set is nearly 3 feet deep and any new set will hang on the wall. 75-80" flat screens are also available but cost more in most cases (the 80" Sharp is probably the best buck per inch at $2100-$2500 but you can get a better picture elsewhere). Lastly, there would be other costs like installation, a wall mount, and a new AV component/speaker stand to replace the current one which was custom built for the current set.

All in all, a new upper-end receiver is the cheaper route. The current one I has been around for nearly 9 years and I've gotten my money's worth out of it and I can think of a secondary use for it.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Lastly, there would be other costs like installation, a wall mount, and a new AV component/speaker stand to replace the current one which was custom built for the current set.

All in all, a new upper-end receiver is the cheaper route. The current one I has been around for nearly 9 years and I've gotten my money's worth out of it and I can think of a secondary use for it.

What receiver are you thinking of? The newer Onkyos are phenomenal for upscaling bang-for-buck (with the Marvell Qdeo chip).

Don't let the a flat screen installation scare you at all. If you can mow your lawn, you can hang a flat screen and hide the wires (unless its an outside wall). But if its an inside wall, just cut a tiny whole, run the plugs to your cabinet by fishing them in (super easy)- and get yourself a mount on Amazon for $80 (for a decent one that has completely adjustable angles).
  • Reply 23 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

I've been lobbying my wife to replace the TV for the last year. The Mitsubishi 65813 was a top of the line, state-of-the-art TV for 2003. But state of the art then for rear projection was 9" CRT guns that could actually resolve 1080 dots across (most TVs of the day couldn't). DLP arrived about the same at 720p resolution and 1080p soon after with varying degrees of success. Most of those had crummy scalers and my Mitsu didn't even try...it didn't even accept 720p from external sources and didn't scale 480i/p (displaying natively instead) which is why I passed on the previous 720p Apple TV.

I thought I found the previous AppleTV did output 1080i, at least unofficially, but maybe that wasn't so. What I found might have confused the original model with the second generation.