Apple 'thrilled' with record launch of new iPad

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 51
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,467member
    The bottom line is....



    They probably sold more this past weekend than other tablets have sold during their entire life. Playbook anyone??
  • Reply 22 of 51
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post


    Apple says it is thrilled, but Wall Street is disappointed that iPad sales are not as good as expected.



    Wall Street is disappointed over their guesswork, not facts. They pull stunts like sending folks out to the 5th Ave store to count heads and try to work out figures from that. Forgetting about online sales etc.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    If by that you mean the benefits from dividends -- Tim asked that his unvested stock benefits not participate in the dividend program. He is not banking future stock dividends.



    THere might even be laws against such inclusions. Then again, he's already making crazy bank just off the stocks and their value so he doesn't feel the need to be greedy.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    drax7drax7 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


    Hi,



    I was in Malaysia on Friday and nearly took 45 minutes plane to Singapore just to get the new iPad, but then thought about the plane ticket cost, taxi cost, food bill, still to include the new iPad costs not a good idea.

    Anyway will wait for the launch in India.



    Nigel



    Food bill would be about the same irrespective , unless you start fasting.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post


    methinks Apple sold nowhere near 1 million new iPads. Demand sort of fizzled over here in Canada, that is to say that lots of people were lined up to buy them, but no one left empty handed and all the craigslist sales remain unsold. Either Apple fixed the supply problem or demand just wasn't what it was for iPad 2.



    Even if your anecdotal evidence is taken at face value, the iPad launched in quite a few more countries than the iPad 2 launch. This increases availability and reduces the need to turn to the secondary market. Given the similarities in design, too, Apple likely was able to ramp up production much quicker as well.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drax7 View Post


    Food bill would be about the same irrespective , unless you start fasting.



    Eating out, especially at airports, is significantly more expensive than dining at home.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The UPS guy arrived at my house at 6:45PM, which is very late for a UPS delivery in my area, he looked like he had been on the run non stop for over 12 hours. While he appeared to npbe in a rush he did have time to say that he was delivering lots of these things today. I'm not sure if he knew what those things where.



    In any event I have this feeling that Apple delivered far more than one million on opening weekend worldwide. I would not be surprised to hear that they put 2-3 million into customer hands over the weekend. So yeah I think they fixed the supply problem.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post


    methinks Apple sold nowhere near 1 million new iPads. Demand sort of fizzled over here in Canada, that is to say that lots of people were lined up to buy them, but no one left empty handed and all the craigslist sales remain unsold. Either Apple fixed the supply problem or demand just wasn't what it was for iPad 2.



  • Reply 28 of 51
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    It'll be another record quarter. And another record quarter of iPad sales.



    Enjoy the usual cluelessness from long-suffering MS fans on Neowin:



    http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-we-...new-ipad-sales



    Quote:



    Does the iPad 3, sorry, the "New iPad", still have mono speakers?

    paulheu, 1 hour ago

    Obviously it does..

    Astra.Xtreme, 1 hour ago

    Brian Miller said,

    Does the iPad 3, sorry, the "New iPad", still have mono speakers?

    Or you can call it the 3rd gen iPad, like a normal person...

    Stetson, 1 hour ago

    Brian Miller said,

    sorry, the "New iPad"?

    Huh?

    laserfloyd, 1 hour ago

    Brian Miller said,

    Does the iPad 3, sorry, the "New iPad", still have mono speakers?

    The New iPad3 HD, obviously.

    jorden25, 1 hour ago

    All apple can do right now is keep telling the world how awesome their iDevice has been selling and microsoft,samsung, nokia, sony just need to watch and learn ! Apple is such a phony in many way. they need to stick their iPod,iPhone,iPad straight up their candy ass!





    shockz, 1 hour ago

    jorden25 said,

    All apple can do right now is keep telling the world how awesome their iDevice has been selling and microsoft,samsung, nokia, sony just need to watch and learn ! Apple is such a phony in many way. they need to stick their iPod,iPhone,iPad straight up their candy ass!

    What? Phony? Record breaking sales every quarter would beg to differ. People like their iProducts. Oops I just fed the tro... well nevermind.

    paulheu, 1 hour ago

    While Apple is usually quick to boast huge sales numbers the fact they do not let them out kinda says more than the marketing drivel..



    guess the repackaging of the same is wearing off as far as the hype goes..

    Enron, 1 hour ago

    They could be a record low, you never know!

    laserfloyd, 1 hour ago

    A rather vague statement. I find it hard to believe you'd have a record setting anything when a lot of people are hanging on to their iPad2. The display is amazing and all but I don't exactly have 500+ dollars to drop on a new device every year. Besides, I'm saving up for the Nokia tablet.

    jorden25, 1 hour ago

    laserfloyd said,

    A rather vague statement. I find it hard to believe you'd have a record setting anything when a lot of people are hanging on to their iPad2. The display is amazing and all but I don't exactly have 500+ dollars to drop on a new device every year. Besides, I'm saving up for the Nokia tablet.

    As much as i dislike apple, i think you're making a fool out of yourself. Nokia tablet will never even see the light of the day and their hardware is crap. Not to mention the OS as well. iOS tablet have plenty of app to take advantage and you know that! iLife is an example.

    Flae_qui, 1 hour ago

    sure they didn't add the Ipad 2 sales to fluff the numbers... people wouldn't know the difference http://www.youtube.com/watch?f..._em...&v=iox5Q2nWi-Q

    benalvino, 1 hour ago

    If they really had a record breaking weekend apple wont wait for some one to ask them before they tell the world... i know they did pretty bad compared to ipad 2... and most people that got this one got it because they are exchanging it with their ipad one and ipad... apple use that deal to push the sales up why!!! because they know the screen is not enough to make people buy this new one.

    -=MagMan=-, 16 seconds ago

    benalvino said,

    If they really had a record breaking weekend apple wont wait for some one to ask them before they tell the world... i know they did pretty bad compared to ipad 2... and most people that got this one got it because they are exchanging it with their ipad one and ipad... apple use that deal to push the sales up why!!! because they know the screen is not enough to make people buy this new one.



    How about you post up some numbers to backup your statement that Apple did pretty bad compared to the iPad 2? Oh that's right, you can't, because even the CEO hasn't released those yet, and you're just being a dumba$$ troll.

    I picked up the new iPad on launch day, upgrading from an iPad 1, and this model blows it away, especially for photography!

    benalvino, 1 hour ago



    hahahaha the old ipad is better... the difference is just the name. the screen they talk about doesnt even make people select it...

    no-sweat, 11 minutes ago

    I walked by the Apple store yesterday and saw the display that said "the revolutionary new iPad"



    I smiled at "revolutionary"




    ROFL



    The iPad continues to be the only viable tablet on the market. Mostly because it doesn't suck, while the competition's junk does. And in some cases, hard.



    Envy and jealousy is a pretty hard road.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    The iPad continues to be the only viable tablet on the market. Mostly because it doesn't suck, while the competition's junk does. And in some cases, hard.



    Envy and jealousy is a pretty hard road.



    I don't know, Asus and Lenovo have a few intriguing offers, geared more towards business users (can both be converted into laptops, Android gives access to the file system, ability to run certain productivity software, etc...)



    But as a strait up media machine, yes, the iPad is the nicest.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post


    methinks Apple sold nowhere near 1 million new iPads. Demand sort of fizzled over here in Canada, that is to say that lots of people were lined up to buy them, but no one left empty handed and all the craigslist sales remain unsold. Either Apple fixed the supply problem or demand just wasn't what it was for iPad 2.



    Between iPad 1 upgrades, Apple fanatics that buy everything Apple, and first time adopters, hitting a million is easy.



    Just because Apple did a better job with supply chain management this around doesn't mean they failed by any means.



    Last year Best Buy got far fewer iPad 2's and sold out faster. This year they were well stocked but most are still sold out of wifi models.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    ROFL



    The iPad continues to be the only viable tablet on the market. Mostly because it doesn't suck, while the competition's junk does. And in some cases, hard.



    Envy and jealousy is a pretty hard road.



    Asus has a nice tablet out. It's all about personal preference. Android doesn't exactly speak to the mainstream market like iOS does. iOS is straight forward, it doesn't keep a bunch of apps in the background or presume to close different ones to save memory, and there's not much configuration to be done.



    Android on the other hand is highly configurable, but that's what makes it confusing for people.



    When you look at Amazon's best seller list with electronics, rarely is it something that is complicated (aka a geek's wet dream) but rather straight forward, all the basic features of today, and not hard to figure out. Google will figure that out as they are driven out of the market by Windows 8.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post


    I don't know, Asus and Lenovo have a few intriguing offers, geared more towards business users (can both be converted into laptops, Android gives access to the file system, ability to run certain productivity software, etc...)



    But as a strait up media machine, yes, the iPad is the nicest.



    I want to believe that too, but it just isn't true.

    I have owned several Android based tablets and they all were so far below the iPad standard it isn't even close.



    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - No

    Droid xyboard 8.2 - No

    Sony tablet S - No



    I have also owned every version of the iPad. I would go back to my iPad 1 before I used anyone of the the above tablets....
  • Reply 33 of 51
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    Google will figure that out as they are driven out of the market by Windows 8.



    I'm currently using Windows 8 as one of the OSes on my computer. It's incredibly stable, the desktop is nice, but the metro interface is complete trash, and very annoying. Windows 8 tablets will be about as relevant as WP7 phones are now - especially when people realize they can't run x86 'rich' applications on W8 tablets.



    Microsoft's ARM support is horrendous too - no dual-core support, only 1 resolution, etc... Nokia is still releasing Symbian phones because WP7 can't meet all their needs. Microsoft will not be relevant in the mobile space.



    Android might have many flaws, but it has 2 big things going for it. Java (cross-platform), and vector based graphics (ie. can scale to any resolution). Not to mention the open-source bit.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post


    The bottom line is....



    They probably sold more this past weekend than other tablets have sold during their entire life. Playbook anyone??



    My sister got one as a gift from her boyfriend over Christmas so I got a chance recently to play with it after their 2.0 update. It's not bad, pretty neet little gadget actually. I think they cost 200 now and would much rather have a Playbook then one of those horrible Amazon Fires.



    I think if RIM bundled them with some of their phones they could clear out a lot of leftover stock and sell some more phones.



    When RIM has to have a fire sell I will defiantly pick up a few for 50 bucks.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post


    I want to believe that too, but it just isn't true.

    I have owned several Android based tablets and they all were so far below the iPad standard it isn't even close.



    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - No

    Droid xyboard 8.2 - No

    Sony tablet S - No



    I have also owned every version of the iPad. I would go back to my iPad 1 before I used anyone of the the above tablets....



    No offence, but Samsung, Motorola, and Sony are 3 of the manufacturers I would never buy a thing from (LG is the other). I would never buy a phone, tablet, laptop, computer anything from them (except maybe an LCD panel). They are complete trash.



    And to be honest, most of the 'Android haters' I've known, bought products from those 4 manufacturers. The experience is much better with devices from HTC, Asus, Lenovo, even Huawei, etc...
  • Reply 36 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's funny is almost every news story about this makes a point of saying Apple (and AT&T) didn't provide any figures (as if to doubt what Apple is saying). Yet, if Amazon (which never provides numbers of Kindle Fire's sold) said something like this these same analysts would be trumpeting this as signs the iPad is on the decline, losing market share, etc.



    There s a meme for this iPad that the media is pushing - that it's an incremental update, that sales will be soft, that [insert name here]'s tablet with Windows 8 will be an "iPad killer".



    I'm sure there are some who were hoping for more but it seems to me to most street analysts if there's no update to the form factor that means it's a 'modest' or 'incremental' update. Apple could have added Siri and a haptic display and if it looked the same as iPad 2 these clowns still would have called it a 'modest' update.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post


    No offence, but Samsung, Motorola, and Sony are 3 of the manufacturers I would never buy a thing from (LG is the other). I would never buy a phone, tablet, laptop, computer anything from them (except maybe an LCD panel). They are complete trash.



    And to be honest, most of the 'Android haters' I've known, bought products from those 4 manufacturers. The experience is much better with devices from HTC, Asus, Lenovo, even Huawei, etc...



    That's a lot of hate for a piece of plastic with blinky things. That's how there made right.



    I'm just so enamored with technology so it's hard for me to say I hate everything from a company. I own a Samsung Note and a Samsung Galaxy 7.7 and I really enjoy using them.



    I have a pair of Motorola Walkie talkies that I bought for the family when we go to amusment parks and they work great, the range is forever. I also had a Xoom that I bought last Febuary and the build quality was some of the best I've seen yet, unfortunatly it was in my purse when it was stolen a month later.



    I still have a portable Sony MiniDisk player that plays MP3's from a 1GB disk. It runs on one AA battery for like 48 hours. Acually I'm not much of a Sony person either to be honest.



    Last I have a LG microwave that I've owned since my college years and it still works like the day I bought it and that was a while back.



    There a some really neat products that those four companys have made. I'm sure you were just being silly and were pointing out that you just don't like Android devices that are manufactured from them.



    That's cool each to his own but every product crap, that's just being silly.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post


    methinks Apple sold nowhere near 1 million new iPads. Demand sort of fizzled over here in Canada, that is to say that lots of people were lined up to buy them, but no one left empty handed and all the craigslist sales remain unsold. Either Apple fixed the supply problem or demand just wasn't what it was for iPad 2.



    Perceptions can lie.



    Pre-order delivered to the home and in-store pickup vastly change the dynamics of product launches.



    At this point I'm wondering why people still get in line when, giving appropriate financial resources, a pre-order makes for an easier shopping experience.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    The UPS guy arrived at my house at 6:45PM, which is very late for a UPS delivery in my area, he looked like he had been on the run non stop for over 12 hours. While he appeared to npbe in a rush he did have time to say that he was delivering lots of these things today. I'm not sure if he knew what those things where.



    In any event I have this feeling that Apple delivered far more than one million on opening weekend worldwide. I would not be surprised to hear that they put 2-3 million into customer hands over the weekend. So yeah I think they fixed the supply problem.



    Yeah, I'm swagging 3 million for the weekend (all models, both iPad 2 and new iPad).
  • Reply 40 of 51
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,664member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Yeah, I'm swagging 3 million for the weekend (all models, both iPad 2 and new iPad).



    Looks like you nailed it!
Sign In or Register to comment.