Apple sold 3M iPads over launch weekend [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

You are probably right about that. Question is, how much bandwidth is taken up just using Dictation versus Siri?

Time will tell. For now I haven't been using Siri that much, not because it doesn't work but because I don't always adapt to new features immediately. People I know who are using Siri the most seem to be new iPhone users. I've been using an iPhone since day one and already have a method for doing things, so while Siri might be easier, it's hard to retrain myself to use Siri.

While not Siri, Voice Dictation is a part of Siri using the same Dragon Dictation back-end to resolve your speech-to-text before the results are evaluated. With Voice Dictation (on both the 4S and iPad) the results are pushed back to the device.

Which means that bandwidth likely isn't the issue, but a bottleneck in data processing could be. The servers that content speech-to-text are liekly not the same ones that convert text-to-meaning. That could mean that Siri (proper) is bottlenecked or perhaps not at all. It could be a marketing decision that just isn't clear to us yet.

But how could it be a bandwidth issue? We'll I suppose that iPad users are more likely to dictate more than on an iPhone due to the ways these devices are used and the demographics of the users but I think that's a reach. I'd also think that Siri's simple questions are a lot less bandwidth than the average dictation.

PS: This response was dictated (and then cleaned up manually).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianloftus View Post

The Apple Press Release states: ?The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold―the strongest iPad launch yet,? said Philip Schiller

Therefore, I think pre-orders, even those not yet shipped, are being included.

I assume only unshipped per-orders that have completed the transaction which only occurs when the product is being prepared for shipping.

PS: Typing this on my iPad I'm noticing AI needs to update their images for the Retina Display. Even the little buttons looked overly blurry.
  • Reply 82 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's funky. The screen is much better, and it's pretty obvious. It's hard to back to the 2 after having used the new one for a short while.

And dictation is very accurate as reported by just about everyone, as well as my own finding and that of my friends.

Something is wrong there.

I found dictation to be excellent (when I first got the new iPad). Then I put it in my old 3rd-party iPad 2 case...

Dictation doesn't seem to work as well unless you hold the iPad (rather than using the case as a stand).

I suspect the old case or the surface, on which it is sitting, is blocking the microphones.

• Reply 83 of 170
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I predict:

100 million iPads in 12 months.

$1000 per share by Dec 31.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I am pretty bullish but that's a bit extreme.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

Not as bullish as many might think. Apple sold 55 million iPad 2s in 2011. It's entirely likely they will sell at least that many iPad 2s in 2012, leaving 45 million 3rd gen iPads to cover he gap.
  • Reply 84 of 170
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Damn!!! That's a lot of people for Samesung to make fun of!!!

Its just all the fanboys upgrading thats what samsung will tell you
  • Reply 85 of 170
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

My prediction of 3-4 million was right!

Maybe.

If AI is correct and the 3 M figure does not include preorders, then the total could be well over 4 M.

OTOH, I suspect that AI is in error. Apple's press release simply says that 3 M were sold and did not exclude preorders, so the 3 M figure probably includes preorders and AI is wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

But, but, but . . . Rob Enderle just said in a TV interview that Apple is abut to have a really terrible quarter, and THAT is the reason for the dividend and stock buy-back strategy announced today! Rob said so! It must be true! [Sarcasm]

Here's a tip for you.

When it comes to Apple, you can't go far wrong by completely inverting anything that Enderle says.
  • Reply 86 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

All those stupid fanboys lining up to buy a toy.
  • Reply 87 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

But that is who they advertise to as well is their own fanboys. I haven't seen an ad yet that made any convincing case for switching from Apple to Samsung. If they were trying to sell Apple people they wouldn't make fun of them for standing in line, that just has the opposite effect but Android fans eat that stuff up.
  • Reply 88 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

But the first sentence of the article says "not including pre-orders".

Whoa! I missed the "not including pre-orders"

That means 3 million ==

-- Apple Stick and Stucco sold to end users

-- Apple delivered or in transit (ownership changed) to 3rd-party resellers (whether sold to end users or not)

I have to believe that Apple shipped (charged CC) 1 million pre-orders through the weekend.

• Reply 89 of 170

3 million... 4 million new iPads... sold in 3 days...

It doesn't really matter...

3 million anything is a whole shitload!

• Reply 90 of 170
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I think you are commiting a serious mistake think the stock has anywhere to go but up, perhaps in short to medium term, I wouldn't gamble more than 10% of my portfolio in one stock. IF you have you WILL get burned one day, don't come crying here when it happens.

And I got burned by selling some of my Apple about a year ago at the advice of my broker who said, "Take some profits!" I should have kept it (obviously). And while I agree that diversity is the best strategy for any portfolio (I'm so paranoid, I also keep lots in cash, which keeps me from stroking out when the market drops), if I had invested my entire portfolio in Apple when I first bought the stock some years ago, I'd probably be worth $10 million now.
  • Reply 91 of 170
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Was that "not including pre-orders" part of the original posting, or added just now? I'm pretty sure it at least wasn't originally part of the title of the article.
  • Reply 92 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KA47 View Post

Corrupt Russia doesn't even have an Apple store.

True, but corrupt America has heaps of them.
  • Reply 93 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

They said 3M sold, so I would think that pre-orders were included in that number.

Wow, just wow. Go Apple go!

The article stated:

Quote:

saying that some 3 million copies were sold not including pre-orders

So who ever AI is quoting is saying that the 3 million does not include preorders.
  • Reply 94 of 170
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Cnet is saying "minus preorders" as well, but for all I know they're using the AI article as a source.

They do point out that the iPhone 4S numbers didn't include preorders, so maybe there's an assumption that that's how Apple reports. I still haven't seen any citations to any Apple statements that makes that definitive, however.

EDIT: Just looked at the Apple statement again and it just says "since launch." To me that's too ambiguous to state positively that these numbers don't include preorders, unless someone has gotten a clarification from Apple.
  • Reply 95 of 170
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

3 million... 4 million new iPads... sold in 3 days...

It doesn't really matter...

3 million anything is a whole shitload!

Apple has changed expectations so radically, people don't realize what an accomplishment even a few hundred thousand units would have been. I've posted this before, but this is the amount of time for each of these technologies to reach just 1 million sales units, according to Greystone Communications, Yankee Group (except for the iPad count, which came from other sources):

Original iPad: 28 days

DVD: 21 months

Satellite Radio: 23 months

CD Players: 28 months

MP3 Players: 28 months

Radio: 39 months

TV: 40 months

DVR: 53 months

VCR: 58 months

Online Subscriber Services: 114 months

Cable TV: 144 months

Satellite TV: 144 months

Apple now does in days what it took multiple companies years to accomplish.
  • Reply 96 of 170
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

But, but, but . . . Rob Enderle just said in a TV interview that Apple is abut to have a really terrible quarter, and THAT is the reason for the dividend and stock buy-back strategy announced today! Rob said so! It must be true! [Sarcasm]

I may be in the tank for Apple but it's cause I dig their products and they actually make what I do in real life less hectic and more organized. Enderle is pure shill.
  • Reply 97 of 170
    Apples official letter just says:

Quote:

CUPERTINO, California―March 19, 2012―Apple® today announced it has sold three million of its incredible new iPad®, since its launch on Friday, March 16th

Since Friday so that could be interpreted as meaning without preorders because it says

Quote:

since its launch on Friday, March 16th

Like was said above apple typically does not include preorders, they only include actual units that have been sold.
  • Reply 98 of 170
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Notice how Apple boldly says "sold"?

Not some weasel-y word like "shipped"?

3 million sold on launch weekend - now that is smooth!

Edit: Just saw Dick's post, beat me to it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes... those were really smooth sales too!

• Reply 99 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Apple has changed expectations so radically, people don't realize what an accomplishment even a few hundred thousand units would have been. I've posted this before, but this is the amount of time for each of these technologies to reach just 1 million sales units, according to Greystone Communications, Yankee Group (except for the iPad count, which came from other sources):

Original iPad: 28 days

DVD: 21 months

Satellite Radio: 23 months

CD Players: 28 months

MP3 Players: 28 months

Radio: 39 months

TV: 40 months

DVR: 53 months

VCR: 58 months

Online Subscriber Services: 114 months

Cable TV: 144 months

Satellite TV: 144 months

Apple now does in days what it took multiple companies years to accomplish.

Looks like they did more than one million in the first day.

Q: Why does Kinect still hold the record for fastest selling CE? It sold 8 million in 60 days. The iPhone 4S beat that hands down with over 1/2 that total being sold in the weekend and the iPad selling 1/3 that total. Also, the Kinect is only at 18 million which is good for an accessory for an aging game console but it's certainly not as impressive as Apple's iDevice sales in the short term, long term, cost or profit per unit.
  • Reply 100 of 170
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What an idiotic post, defining anyone who bought the new iPad as being 'fooled'. What specifically did Apple fool or lie to people about? I'll be waiting for that response. And contrary to your silly anecdotal 'evidence', pretty much every professional reviewer expressed complete awe and hyperbole at the display, so the fact hat you might be close to blind doesn't really say much about the product. The display is better than what Apple has stated, and is easily the best display I've ever seen. It impresses me each and every time I look at it. A random example from the verge editor, who's an Android fan and who's favorite phone is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus:

Here's some more: http://gizmodo.com/5893431/new-ipad-...hort-answeryes

But yeah, have fun waiting another year. Good job not being 'fooled'. You're clearly too clever for Apple's sneaky ways. While you're at it, stop mocking those that aren't blind. Makes you look stupid.

I think it's silly to upgrade from a iPad 2 to a new iPad 3 uh iPad. But at the end of the day it's just a toy. So if a new toy will bring happines in your life then so be it, buy one. However do not pretend one bit that you need a new one of course not the previous model is a more then capable tablet. You want one because of the hype.