Apple says new iPad operates 'well within our thermal specifications'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Dead Steve is the new Hitler. I think we had best get used to it. For instance, just this morning I spilled coffee on my shirt, and I couldn't help but think "If Steve were still alive this would have never happened!"

Every time I get a page refresh in Safari I think the same thing (and damn it's still happening with the new iPad).
  • Reply 42 of 53
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

Steve would have made them try a software fix or materials change or something. If they're not sourcing and experimenting with solutions now, it's not the same company it was.

This includes antennagate, which resulted in a design change after the initial denials.

Another trolling remark about the ancient and mythical antenna problem. Please tell us what design changes Apple made to the iPhone 4 because of the antenna. The Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 version was a new / different product. Apple never changed the AT&T iPhone 4 design.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not that simple. The reported temperatures are on the exterior of the case. The internal temperatures will be much higher - so it is impossible to simply state that it's OK since it's not near the reflow point of solder. (In addition, it's possible for thermal damage to occur besides melting of solder, so that's not the only temperature limit to be concerned about).

The only real comment possible is the one that Apple made. The company that designed the device and make its operational specifications says it's not a problem. So unless people start seeing thermal failures, it's a non-issue.

Guess I should have used the /sarcasm...

But since you brought it up, without breaking the related datasheets, I'm willing to bet the internal components are well within their operating temps. If Apple isn't worried I don't think we need be...
  • Reply 44 of 53
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Bummer they didn't use 28nm chips for whatever reason. Staying with 45nm for another year isn't ideal. Sure they made up for it with the battery, but it could last longer with 28nm, and probably not have this heat problem.

Bummer that Apple didn't consult with you first to get all your design and manufacturing expertise. /s

Say the new iPad does runs warmer than the iPad2, that doesn't necessarily mean there is problem. The new iPad and iPad2 are different products with one being much more powerful than the other so the new iPad has different power needs and would more often than not run warmer than the less powerful iPad2. Warmer is no big deal, if it was getting hot to the touch than 'maybe' you could say there was a problem.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Instead of free Bumpers, we'll all receive Apple-branded Ove' Gloves.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Instead of free Bumpers, we'll all receive Apple-branded Ove' Gloves.

Good for not only using your iPad but also for baking Apple Pies!
  • Reply 47 of 53
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Bummer they didn't use 28nm chips for whatever reason. Staying with 45nm for another year isn't ideal. Sure they made up for it with the battery, but it could last longer with 28nm, and probably not have this heat problem.

Interesting though that the PS Vita has not only the same quad core graphics, but twice as many CPU cores at the same clock speed and doesn't have a heat spreader. As I understand they switched to flip chip (which is less efficient) to give the GPU closer access to the memory, but how did the Vita do it then?

The Vita does not have a 2048 x1536 screen to drive the iPad does.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I could have sworn that meant 'the ambient temperature in which you use said product', not anything about the product itself.

The MacBook Pro family says the exact same thing, but we all know they work perfectly fine when their internal temperature reports WAY WAY WAY above that.

Oh, no! My Mac Pro's northbridge idles at 149ºF! It must be ready to BLOW!

Oh, wait, it's supposed to do that.

I'm shocked at how well my late 2006 MBP has held up while running incredibly hot from day one. Five years and counting...running as well as the day I brought it home to live with me. Apple should build a cup holder into the case so my little space heater can also keep my coffee hot.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I could have sworn that meant 'the ambient temperature in which you use said product', not anything about the product itself...

Thank you. Finally, when everyone is discussing this, can everyone please specify the ambient temperatures they are using it at. Obviously the hotter the room temperature the lower the ability for the A5X and back panel of the iPad to get rid of heat.

I'm sure in no time we'll have "Winter Warmer Retina" apps (mid-year for Southern Hemisphere, and updated just nicely for Winter Nothern Hemisphere) ~ look warm, get warm with the new iPad! Power company cut off your heating? Have no fear, iPad is here! Use our special multi-touch thermostat to get that warm, cozy feeling you always knew your iPad gave you, now you can prove it!

Wow. My iPad just dinged... My mum just went nuts with the emoji LOL.

Carry on.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm not worried for anyone just yet. It is also known that the backlight consumes about 2.5 more power than the previous model (was 2.something watts, now 7 watts), so as the article mentions, owners can turn down the brightness. The explanation that the GPU is more powerful doesn't explain why the whole device is warmer (not just near the GPU), but the backlight does, so it's probably a combination of the two.

That's a great point, and I'm sure also that's why people (including myself) notice much more warmth (but not too hot) during the day when it is sunnier and warmer, and where you need to put the brightness to max.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I heard that Apple is releasing a special edition iPad for anybody who whines about the new one being slightly warm.

It will feature a battery that is half the size of the current battery. Of course, it will only last for 5 hours, but too fucking bad.

It will also feature a single core processor with a half core GPU and It will run even cooler than the iPad 1. You will not have the power to use 74% of all available apps, but too fucking bad.

The main killer feature on the special edition iPad will be the anti-retina display. This display will have half the resolution of the iPad 1. Things may not look all that sharp anymore, but too fucking bad, it'll run cooler and require less resources.

I want a half core GPU, sounds fancy!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

You are misreading that specification; that is the ambient temperature, not the surface temperature. From the IR photos, the ambient temperature is around 72 degrees, or the unit operates at a 20 degree temperature rise. At a 95F ambient, you would expect the temperature to be close to 115F, or hot to the touch.

Depends, the temperature compared to ambient temperature is of course not a linear relationship.

So, finally, at the risk of sounding like a smartass, my Science degree comes in handy.

Take iPad 1, 2, 3, Galaxy Tab

Make ambient temperature the variable, 70degF to 110degF

Measure tablet temperatures running various CPU/GPU loads

Make brightness the variable

Plot chart

???

Profit!

Your welcome, that's your PhD thesis right there. I know, I'm not making much sense at the moment, will be off to play Mass Effect 3 and then sleep time.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I'm shocked at how well my late 2006 MBP has held up while running incredibly hot from day one. Five years and counting...running as well as the day I brought it home to live with me. Apple should build a cup holder into the case so my little space heater can also keep my coffee hot.

To think we've gone from that to now people complaining about the iPad being "quite warm but not unberable to the touch" while it drives far more pixels than any mainstream computer ever, ever did.

I think when aliens arrive people will complain, "Ah, they're not alien-y enough! Boo!"
  • Reply 52 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I still haven't pulled the trigger, but the display models at the Apple Store were fine, despite the fact that they play the demo constantly and are set pretty bright, as it would need to be to compete with bright retail lighting. I didn't think to start a 3D-heavy game though.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Apple never changed the AT&T iPhone 4 design.

How do you know that no changes were made? Anandtech would disagree with you that the antenna issue was "mythical".

"When we reviewed the CDMA iPhone 4, I made mention of the fact that this was the first iPhone 4 I felt comfortable using without a case. This same confidence continues with the 4S, which is in practice completely usable without a case, unlike the GSM/UMTS iPhone 4.

"...The original iPhone 4 design was flawed. Although Apple downplayed the issue publicly, it solved the deathgrip antenna problem with the CDMA iPhone 4."