Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games

1356789

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 175
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,623moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    If only there was some way to move your hand on occasion or to rotate the device 180°. I just thought of a way! That thing I just said.



    The hottest part seems to be in one corner (bottom left when facing iPad) - this is where the A5X chip is unsurprisingly, as the motherboard runs vertically up the left side) so it's another case of 'don't hold it that way'.







    Rotating it to the right so that the rear camera is near the right hand should be the coolest position. The iPad can also then be used as a weapon to scald others.



    I think they need to figure out how to disperse the heat across their devices better. The laptops are the same.
  • Reply 42 of 175
    They're holding it wrong.
  • Reply 43 of 175
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post


    If true, so what?



    If ist get's too hot it'll switch Off anyway. This might be a bit annoying, if you are just about to reach some top score. Again: So What?



    I think some people keep the exploding ipod battery fiasco in Japan in the back of their mind so this news is getting more attention than it needs.
  • Reply 44 of 175
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


    You actually believe the bumper provides protection? Not improved antenna reception? Why is it the only iPhone Apple ever made that needs a faux case?

    Call me crazy- think different!



    So lets think about what you've claimed in this thread. You claimed the iPhone 4 (which was the primary world wide phone for an extra long 15 months and is still being sold after nearly 2 years) was fatally flawed that Apple creased a "faux case" for it. You claim the fixed this fatal flaw with the Verizon iPhone (yet somehow ignoring that the antenna is still external, which was the primary knee jerk reaction that started all this) and implied that there are no reasons for a completely different network type to need a different antenna design. You have then ignored that Apple redesigned this "faux case", which works very well at preventing accidental damage while keeping the bulk down, to work with the Verizon iPhone and iPhone 4S. For your claims that it was designed for the iPhone 4 because it was impossible to get a single without a case it would also mean that it is impossible for the iPhone 4 for Verizon and iPhone 4S since they designed a case for it as well.



    Again, how has neraly every component on the iPhone been fatally flawed since altering and updating components is proof they were designed broken?
  • Reply 45 of 175
    I'm in the middle of running three iPad 3 'heat' tests for iPad Creative. I'm not at all convinced that the slight increase in temperature is down to the GPU, I think it's to do with recharging.
  • Reply 46 of 175
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    I believe Apple already said that it takes longer to charge. How much investigation do you need?







    You have to understand - no one actually expects real technical information from Consumer Reports. Anyone who cares about facts would get their information somewhere else.



    CR makes its money by convincing people that CR is on the consumer's side - and creating these silly scam issues helps CR more than it hurts. They simply never retract their insanity and the consumers eat it up.



    I stopped reading that rag ages ago. In a field of products with similar qualities they recommend some seemingly arbitrary item with four stars. Except it's not arbitrary at all. They are wined and dined and whichever company wines the most gets the 'tops in category' rating.



    Apple doesn't do that silly stuff. They make their products, the people let them know if it's great or not. So, i guess they have another 'enemy' because they wont play the usual games, including Consumer Reports' games. We have so much crap infotainment. Money trumps all don't it.

    But guess who makes the MOST money..Apple. Guess how they make it...by not resorting to that sort of hyper inflated crap. Amazing how simple life can really be when you apply yourself isn't it. Perhaps Apple can yet teach the marketplace how to focus on what's important!
  • Reply 47 of 175
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post


    Remember the MHz craze where PC motherboards where equipped with powerful (and power gobbling) fans?

    What's that for a fire hazard?



    About a fire hazard when the iPad 3 is wrapped in a blanket.

    I am sure, whenever the temperature gets too high (if it ever does), the iPad3 will just shut off.

    As do most recent computing devices, because they have sensors all over the place.



    Depends. An Intel chip will shut the machine down, and AMD one will (or at least used to) keep going until it gets hot enough to become a fire hazard.



    Also, running a pc fan doesn't gobble up too much power, but of course the difference is the case they're in allows for that kind of airflow over problem areas. I've always been impressed with how capable tablets are with passive cooling.
  • Reply 48 of 175
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I hate being outside on a 110+ degree day. An absolute nightmare!



    But for the sake of a game like Infinity Blade II, I?ll hold 110+ degrees in my hand Or I?d put a cover on it like my iPad 2. More heat inside, less on my skin... the iPad will just have to deal...
  • Reply 49 of 175
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    Depends. An Intel chip will shut the machine down, and AMD one will (or at least used to) keep going until it gets hot enough to become a fire hazard.



    Wait, AMD doesn't have any self-preservation stuff built into it? Like if I turned on a freshly-seated AMD chip in a motherboard without putting any thermal paste or heatsinks on it, it would simply melt itself into the board?



    Seems I've found another reason to not like AMD, then. ATI I'm fine with, but AMD?
  • Reply 50 of 175
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    [QUOTE=tdws;2077086]Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions. /QUOTE]



    I don't think CR has a grudge against Apple. Rather, they look for any silly fabricated complaints that can get lots of hits for their web site and subscribers for their magazine. They have found that fabricating stories about Apple does that better than any real stories they can come up with.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post


    Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?



    No one opposed holding Apple to account. But how does what CR is doing hold anyone to account? It's a fabricated non-issue that they're trying to get people stirred up over.
  • Reply 51 of 175
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Rotating it to the right so that the rear camera is near the right hand should be the coolest position. The iPad can also then be used as a weapon to scald others.



    I think they need to figure out how to disperse the heat across their devices better. The laptops are the same.



    How to use your iPad as a weapon:



    Step 1: Install and run Infinity Blade 2 ($6.99)

    Step 2: Press lower-left back area of iPad against a person's skin.

    Step 3: Wait several hours, hopefully thinking of more effective methods.
  • Reply 52 of 175
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Cracked Displaygate

    Antennagate

    Locationgate

    Batterygate

    Heatgate

    mobilemegate

    Walled gardengate

    Sweat shopgate



    I've lost track.



    Let's see.



    Suicidegate

    Underageworkergate

    Crackedcubegate

    Rosettagate

    Sirigate



    I'm sure there are plenty more, but Giada is on TV so I'm distracted.
  • Reply 53 of 175
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    So lets think about what you've claimed in this thread. You claimed the iPhone 4 (which was the primary world wide phone for an extra long 15 months and is still being sold after nearly 2 years) was fatally flawed that Apple creased a "faux case" for it. You claim the fixed this fatal flaw with the Verizon iPhone (yet somehow ignoring that the antenna is still external, which was the primary knee jerk reaction that started all this) and implied that there are no reasons for a completely different network type to need a different antenna design. You have then ignored that Apple redesigned this "faux case", which works very well at preventing accidental damage while keeping the bulk down, to work with the Verizon iPhone and iPhone 4S. For your claims that it was designed for the iPhone 4 because it was impossible to get a single without a case it would also mean that it is impossible for the iPhone 4 for Verizon and iPhone 4S since they designed a case for it as well.



    Again, how has neraly every component on the iPhone been fatally flawed since altering and updating components is proof they were designed broken?



    What r u ranting on about ad nauseum?

    Forward the quote where I claim the iPhone 4 is "fatally flawed?" or Did you conjure that up?
  • Reply 54 of 175
    tdwstdws Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    Some comparison photo's with other devices, also running stress tests would be nice, you know so consumers have some idea how it fares against other devices in the same category and make an informed choice.



    So I wonder why CR didn't do this?



    Seeing as they do this all the time, I would expect a more rigorous comparison with competitors in the future. And they did do a comparison with the previous model.
  • Reply 55 of 175
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    So now we know why, when trying to decide what to call the new iPad, Apple finally rejected "IcePad"...
  • Reply 56 of 175
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timborama View Post


    They're holding it wrong.



    Either that or sweaty palms...
  • Reply 57 of 175
    tdwstdws Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I think CR figures (like many a tech web site) that "bad stuff about Apple" is a proven eyeball deliverer. That's not a grudge, that's just cynical expedience. Which is unfortunate, because CR used to have a reputation for being pretty dispassionate.



    But "opening an investigation" into something as silly as "new iPad gets a little warmer"? That's pandering, straight up. A real turnoff.



    And "absolute power corrupts absolutely"? What? Are you saying Apple has decided to deliver iPads that seer your flesh and now intends to cover that fact up with evil mind control, so CR to the rescue? What does somewhat warmer have to do with corruption?



    It can't hurt to know the facts about the device. One of the chief appeals of the iPad to me anyway is that it doesn't get hot like a laptop. It's not "silly." If you don't like the information, don't read it.



    You're not understanding my point about absolute power. I was referring to power in the marketplace. I think Apple is great, but constantly cheerleading everything it does and railing against any criticism is not going to help the organization. The number one problem Apple faces going forward is getting too full of itself. And regardless it doesn't matter -- consumers want information and they will get it. CR is an awesome organization that does a great job. If that doesn't jive with Apple Marketing, so be it.
  • Reply 58 of 175
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post




    Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.



    Hyperbole much?

    Save your outrage for Goldman Sachs.
  • Reply 59 of 175
    kjacobikjacobi Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post


    Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions.



    Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?



    Consumer Reports will make a big deal out of anything Apple because Apple is high profile. It makes the masses pay attention. It's a marketing play. One that you are falling for. The only winner is Consumer Reports.
  • Reply 60 of 175
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I think they need to figure out how to disperse the heat across their devices better.



    Judging from the thermal images, they seem to have done just that.



Sign In or Register to comment.