Apple could be top mobile processor maker by end of 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If I were eating a juicy burger and you asked me who made it you'd think I'm a smart ass if I replied with 'The cook, but I didn't get their name" when it's clear that you mean the restaurant that hired the cook to physically prepare their food. You also wouldn't expect me to reply with "When a cow and steer love each other very much..."

A steer

They would have to be platonic friends.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

A steer

Ok Soli isn't a cowboy. I know what he meant
  • Reply 23 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

A steer

LOL That's a huge gaffe. I guess I could ignore it and hope it goes away or dig a deeper hole by making a bad joke about an immooculate conception.

PS: They wouldn't necessarily have to be platonic. He still has his cowbellend.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Quote:

Actually, that is one of the few areas of production that Apple could create in the US due to it being mostly automated. It also affords them added security and secrecy which we know that they adore.

Apple is very much about doing things differently and it has reaped the rewards from that way of thinking. By thinking outside of the box and by not abiding by the status quo, Apple has the ability and means to explore some boundaries hitherto unknown to itself.

I think it would be tremendous if Apple was able to build an automated plant for manufacturing parts of their phones and pads.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Quote:

LOL That's a huge gaffe. I guess I could ignore it and hope it goes away or dig a deeper hole by making a bad joke about an immooculate conception.

PS: They wouldn't necessarily have to be platonic. He still has his cowbellend.

Here you go: http://www.animaljokes.co.uk/cow_jok...jokes_10.shtml

Note the first joke makes the same mistake!
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple is very much about doing things differently and it has reaped the rewards from that way of thinking. By thinking outside of the box and by not abiding by the status quo, Apple has the ability and means to explore some boundaries hitherto unknown to itself.

I think it would be tremendous if Apple was able to build an automated plant for manufacturing parts of their phones and pads.

I keep thinking that then I think this ... automation may actually be slower in terms of the ability to change out designs etc. than a long line of relatively inexpensive and eager workers on an assembly plant in China at this time.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

What is the comparison between the A4 and the Hummingbird?

They are the same. Samsung worked with a company called Intrinsity to design that core. Apple later bought Intrinsity and soon after released the A4. Apple could have changed a few things in the SoC from what Samsung was producing for themselves, which is why they called it the A4.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3665/a...ers-and-losers
  • Reply 28 of 67
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Another example ? and perhaps evidence that it's dinner time ? If I were eating a juicy burger and you asked me who made it you'd think I'm a smart ass if I replied with 'The cook, but I didn't get their name" when it's clear that you mean the restaurant that hired the cook to physically prepare their food. You also wouldn't expect me to reply with "When a cow and bull love each other very much..."

That's doesn't always hold water. I love this particular restaurant, I frequent often, for its juicy burgers. 8 out of 10 times I get it just how I like it. The 2 other times they are like hockey pucks. I don't blame the restaurant, I know it's either the cook's day off or he/she is having a bad day. I didn't get their name either but it could have something to do with cow love making too.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

They are the same.

LMAO.

By the way, does anyone here think Apple designed the New iPad Retina screen?
  • Reply 30 of 67
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Actually, that is one of the few areas of production that Apple could create in the US due to it being mostly automated. It also affords them added security and secrecy which we know that they adore.

About the security and control of chips... And so does the Dept. of Defense. The DoD is weary of Russian, Korean, or Chinese back doors within these chips and they are looking to Apple more lately. Made in America, for chips makes good sense from a security POV, not so much from a manufacturing POV though.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I keep thinking that then I think this ... automation may actually be slower in terms of the ability to change out designs etc. than a long line of relatively inexpensive and eager workers on an assembly plant in China at this time.

... but we are talking about Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:

No, I don't think that way. Apple aint the company it was 10 years ago, or 5 years ago or even 2 years ago. Apple's growth is exploding and I believe that Apple's needs are beginning to outstrip other company's abilities to supply them with the consistent yields that Apple requires.

I believe that Apple has to acquire some manufacturing ability in order to move to the next phase of its business life. You don't hire a kindergarten teacher to teach grade 5 math and you don't hire that teacher to teach grade 10 biology etc. etc.

Apple is moving towards a degree beyond Phd, and it appears there isn't anyone left that can adequately teach them.

Well... Apple does have $100 Billion in cash.

But does anyone know how much it would cost to outright build their own factories? And staff them?

Or should they continue to just rent time from Samsung, Foxconn, etc?

You're right though... Apple is beginning to demand too much from their suppliers... but I'm sure Tim Cook is exploring every option.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:

I agree.

I've always thought that Apple should start making some of its own parts, especially processors, but I think that will never happen with Tim Cook at the helm. It could end up being Apple's Achilles heel.

I think the objective is for Intel to become the foundry for Apple chips

... goes all the way back to the 6502 days...

• Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Well... Apple does have $100 Billion in cash.

But does anyone know how much it would cost to outright build their own factories? And staff them?

Or should they continue to just rent time from Samsung, Foxconn, etc?

You're right though... Apple is beginning to demand too much from their suppliers... but I'm sure Tim Cook is exploring every option.

I'm sure there are acquisition targets that could fill the bill with a couple of billion $$$ worth of fine tuning...

... but that's probably the best way to phrase it, "Tim Cook is exploring every option".
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:

I'm sure there are acquisition targets that could fill the bill with a couple of billion $$$ worth of fine tuning...

... but that's probably the best way to phrase it, "Tim Cook is exploring every option".

In a way, Apple is tying up Sammy's production -- and keeping them off the street!
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In a way, Apple is tying up Sammy's production -- and keeping them off the street!

Don't forget, for every 36 million items that Apple sells... Samsung sells 36 million and one.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    Quote:

LMAO.

By the way, does anyone here think Apple designed the New iPad Retina screen?

Now you're just being an ass.

"Breakthrough technology. For a breakthrough display.

In order to create a display with four times the pixels, we had to design it in a completely new way. You see, every pixel in a display has multiple signals telling it when to light up. But when you have a lot of pixels and a lot of signals on the same plane, signals get crossed and image quality suffers. To make sure everything on the new iPad looks crystal clear, Apple engineers elevated the pixels onto a different plane — separating them from the signals. It’s technology that’s breakthrough. Just like the new iPad itself."

Some of the IP involved in making the iPad's screen is in fact Apple's. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Apple does in fact employee many, many talented engineers. Apple didn't invent LCD, LED, OLED, IPS or what-have-you, but that doesn't mean they can't add something to it to enhance it.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    If Apple had anything to do the design of the display it would have been in the keynote, where they always tout their design of the processors, even the A4. Sorry, that's just clever advertising.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Sorry, but if Apple had anything to do the design of the display it would have been in the keynote, where they always tout their design of the processors, even the A4.

"Apple engineers elevated the pixels onto a different plane ? separating them from the signals."

I recall that being a focal point to how this display was engineered... and Apple claims they engineered it. If you wish to call Apple a liar you'll have to back it up with proof.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    Quote:

"Apple engineers elevated the pixels onto a different plane ? separating them from the signals."

I recall that being a focal point to how this display was engineered... and Apple claims they engineered it. If you wish to call Apple a liar you'll have to back it up with proof.

Go look at the keynote and see if they say ANYTHING about design it.