Apple at odds with Motorola, Nokia, RIM over 'nano-SIM' design

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

You guys don't realize how brilliant SIM cards are - they un-bundle the carrier from your phone so that you have the freedom to use your SIM in any phone, and multiple SIMs from different carriers, or just different numbers, in the same phone.

There are ways to have a SIM without having a plastic card you need to install in your device. Not only is the size of the plastic disproportionate to the amount of data it stores and the size of the devices it's placed into, but it's also a weak point in mobile connectivity and hinders engineering.

One solution is to use an eSIM. You get all the same stuff as a SIM card without any of the hassle. Here's an example:
    You live in the UK and have just bought an iPhone with eSIM. When you first turn on the phone it says there is no SIM and asks if you'd like to add one. You say yes and input the code and password given to you by your carrier. This can be tied to your phone's IMEI or it can open.

Now your phone can be used in the UK, but let's say you spend time in France, too, you simply go into Settings and add another SIM to your device and select it. Now you have two SIMs in your phone without having to carry little pieces of plastic around in your pocket. You can add more and more SIMs and with a simple access to Cellular in Settings you can switch the SIM. You've now made it more convenient for you and allowed phone vendors to use space more effectively.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Why not support both physical and virtual sims? Then once we convince/force enough carriers to use virtual sims, we can drop the physical sim.

I'd love an intermediate option but it looks like the vendors are very much caving to MNOs on this.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

One solution is to use an eSIM. You get all the same stuff as a SIM card without any of the hassle. Here's an example:
    You live in the UK and have just bought an iPhone with eSIM. When you first turn on the phone it says there is no SIM and asks if you'd like to add one. You say yes and input the code and password given to you by your carrier. This can be tied to your phone's IMEI or it can open.

Now your phone can be used in the UK, but let's say you spend time in France, too, you simply go into Settings and add another SIM to your device and select it. Now you have two SIMs in your phone without having to carry little pieces of plastic around in your pocket. You can add more and more SIMs and with a simple access to Cellular in Settings you can switch the SIM. You've now made it more convenient for you and allowed phone vendors to use space more effectively.

That is a really interesting thing. I think that is what Apple was trying to push with their eSIM proposal. But I guess even with all the numbers sold, they still don't have the clout to get providers to change.

But I am sure other manufacturers will be interested as well in a SIM-less design. I wonder if the providers could be pressurised to adopt it if multiple manufacturers insist on it. But how many manufacturers will want to side with Apple?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There are technological solutions besides using a 30 year old technology.

You could accomplish the same thing with online activation.

Can you please describe how you would see this happening? for example, maybe I fly to The Netherlands tomorrow, normally I land can purchase a SIM from the airport and leave. Apart from the actual purchase of the SIM I don't have to go online, I don' have to do anything other than put it in my phone, I can also purchase a SIM from several providers with no interaction with any of them. How would this compare to your online activation plan?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Can you please describe how you would see this happening? for example, maybe I fly to The Netherlands tomorrow, normally I land can purchase a SIM from the airport and leave. Apart from the actual purchase of the SIM I don't have to go online, I don' have to do anything other than put it in my phone, I can also purchase a SIM from several providers with no interaction with any of them. How would this compare to your online activation plan?

Sure. You pick up a card at the airport which gives you a certain amount of cell phone time (or unlimited or whatever terms you want). You choose a setting in your phone that says "enter electronic SIM number" and then enter the number. Essentially the way that most carriers currently handle prepaid minutes.

Anything that can be done with a SIM card can be done by manually entering numbers.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sure. You pick up a card at the airport which gives you a certain amount of cell phone time (or unlimited or whatever terms you want). You choose a setting in your phone that says "enter electronic SIM number" and then enter the number. Essentially the way that most carriers currently handle prepaid minutes.

Anything that can be done with a SIM card can be done by manually entering numbers.

Sure could work, just as long as they don't implement a forced registration in the process