Combination of iPad 4G LTE & data caps characterized as a 'speed trap'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    +1 Apple, -50 carriers

Carriers not ready for data consumption over 4G? Big surprise there. They've been been behind on the curve of almost every technological innovation in the mobile space for years now. If it weren't for apple constantly pushing them, we'd still be at 2G speeds today.

Honestly I have NO sympathy for them? they made a high speed network... if they don't want people using it, then they shouldn't have built it in the first place.
  • Reply 62 of 131
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's ridiculous.

When you buy a car, you expect to pay for gas and maintenance. The more you drive it, the greater your costs will be.

When you buy a tablet or phone, you expect to pay for data access. The more you use it, the greater your cost will be.

It's entirely up to the user to use (or not use) the iPad for any purpose they wish.

There is no place here for logic and common sense. Be gone! ...
  • Reply 63 of 131
    I saw this BS coming and told my girlfriend that if I get the new iPad, I did, I wouldn't waste my time on the 4g version. She got me the 16 gig wifi new iPad. I'm happy as can be.
  • Reply 64 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Could you provide some evidence that they're not making money? I'd be very curious to read up on this. Thanks!

Sprint 4Q 2011 Results: 1.3 billion net loss

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_d...rticle_id=2179

T-Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telecom and their margins are rolled up into that balance sheet. However, they did lose 800k subscribers last quarter and had a reduction in revenue.

http://www.knowyourcell.com/news/125...k_in_2013.html
  • Reply 65 of 131
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Wireless spectrum and bandwidth resources are finite. It's only going to get worse. This has been a known problem for several years that's starting to rear it's head now. Unlimited plans are not coming back, as much as I wish they would.

I agree they won't come back. However, 2GB is insanely low. The problem is the caps are just unreasonable. If that cap was 10GB or 20GB, that would be more reasonable. After that, charge $10 a gig for more.
  • Reply 66 of 131
    I have AT&T LTE iPad 3, I signed up, ran a single speed test and it used up 90 MB with a single test. Then I left it on, commute to work (15 minutes) then it told me that I used up 113 MB out of 250 MB.

At this rate, I'm going to cancel my account, and only turn it on when I need to.
  • Reply 67 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Sprint 4Q 2011 Results: 1.3 billion net loss

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_d...rticle_id=2179

T-Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telecom and their margins are rolled up into that balance sheet. However, they did lose 800k subscribers last quarter and had a reduction in revenue.

http://www.knowyourcell.com/news/125...k_in_2013.html

Thanks, but what about AT&T and Verizon? Those are the two that I'm interested in. Are the big boys only breaking even? Sorry, I ought to just google this stuff. Let's see....
  • Reply 68 of 131
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    And in other news... The harder it rains the wetter you get!
  • Reply 69 of 131
    Hmm, price fixing? Come on, like Verizon and AT&T didn't know people would start burning through their caps on 4G? If 4G is 10 times faster than 3G, shouldn't the caps be 10 times more? Would that be just a little bit fair? I would buy a 3rd Gen iPad with LTE if they raise their $30/month cap to something like 20GB or more. Anything less is just stupid..

I remember paying $19.99 a month for unlimited 56k access using a local number so I didn't get charged extra on my phone bill. This made the internet what it is today. I was accessible to millions for practically nothing.. Now They charge $30 a month for about an hour or two of heavy use? Crazy.

It does make me feel angry that, as an American, I have to pay more for much less than someone in Europe. I agree with some of the other posters, where is your pride Verizon/AT&T?

I'd love to see what Sprint does when they get their LTE up and running. Come on Sprint, make us proud!!

Sad..
  • Reply 70 of 131
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I know everyone has a different lifestyle but I find it difficult to imagine why people would want to view full length movies while outdoors away from wifi. Sure occasionally you may find yourself in a hotel with pricey wifi and want to watch a movie. Or maybe when you go to visit your grandmother for the weekend and she doesn't have wifi. Honestly how many people spend all day outdoors using their iPad?

I live a fairly routine existence I guess. I commute 20 minutes each way to work, which is not a situation where I would be downloading movies, then working 9-5 M-F where I have wifi and then I go home, where I have wifi. I don't see the speed trap issue at all.

Yeah, what about that? From reading this thread you get the impression no one has WiFi at all and they're in the habit of downloading movies on the bus.

I, too, spend the better part of my day within reach of WiFi, and to the extent I would use LTE data under a data cap it would just be a nice convenience-- fast responses to search inquiries, map info, the odd You Tube vid and the like. That wouldn't induce me to use more data than under 3G, however, it would just be a better experience for the way I use data now.
  • Reply 71 of 131
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The combination of data caps and high-speed LTE devices was characterized as a "quandary for wireless carriers" by the Journal

Au contraire, the combination is a quandary for consumers.

The carriers have carefully set their trap.

Consumers must carefully monitor their usage over the course of a month or be faced with the choice of a higher bill or no more data usage until the next month.
  • Reply 72 of 131
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I have AT&T LTE iPad 3, I signed up, ran a single speed test and it used up 90 MB with a single test. Then I left it on, commute to work (15 minutes) then it told me that I used up 113 MB out of 250 MB.

At this rate, I'm going to cancel my account, and only turn it on when I need to.

Hahaha!
  • Reply 73 of 131
    I remember when they installed the new super video games at the arcade. I would go to the token machine put in $5.00 and get 25 Tokens, but suddenly, the new cool games took 3 tokens instead of 1. Here's the question: should I have asked that I get more tokens for my $5 or complained that the new games should only take 1 token? Same problem....Older kids.....lol
  • Reply 74 of 131
    Reminds me of the 90s when Intel was increasing their processsing power but Microsoft kept bloating their software?.. Intel giveth and Microsoft takeith away.

Now Apple giveth and the carriers taketith away.
  • Reply 75 of 131
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, what about that? From reading this thread you get the impression no one has WiFi at all and they're in the habit of downloading movies on the bus.

I, too, spend the better part of my day within reach of WiFi, and to the extent I would use LTE data under a data cap it would just be a nice convenience-- fast responses to search inquiries, map info, the odd You Tube vid and the like. That wouldn't induce me to use more data than under 3G, however, it would just be a better experience for the way I use data now.

I think that the mainstream release of LTE has prompted a lot of people to test the limits. We're seeing a big spike in usage "because we can" but it probably won't be sustained. Most people will gradually converge towards their previous data usage habits, some will develop new habits to consume more data (here we will see the most variance in behavior), and some fewer will continue to suck the system dry any way they can figure.

Surges like this help to pave the way for pricebreaks as carriers will see that people are eager to use the bandwidth but cannot due to prohibitive pricing. While this may seem like a stalemate at first blush, it will eventually prompt carriers to reconfigure their pricing if only to make the service more appealing, thus the long-term gain by consumers.

Regardless, I'm still in the "prefer to tether" camp. Um... but I don't have tethering services and I don't have an iPad, but that's what I'll do when the iPad 4 or 5 comes around.
  • Reply 76 of 131
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Hmmm... A 5 minute FaceTime chat would completely exhaust my measly gigabit plan.

Just last week I was one of the few crying about the inability to FaceTime over LTE. I'm just gonna shut my face and be glad that I can't.

I've only conducted several speed tests on LTE and I've already managed to burn through over half of my data.

Thank God for the "turn off LTE" button and wifi.
  • Reply 77 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Hmmm... A 5 minute FaceTime chat would completely exhaust my measly gigabit plan.

Just last week I was one of the few crying about the inability to FaceTime over LTE. I'm just gonna shut my face and be glad that I can't.

I've only conducted several speed tests on LTE and I've already managed to burn through over half of my data.

Thank God for the "turn off LTE" button and wifi.

Even more to the point, think about how quickly that data would go if you could use LTE (or 3G) for FaceTime and Apple had a 5 MP camera in front of the iPad as some have requested.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Or, you could simply turn off LTE and only turn it on when you need it - without canceling your account.

However, it's still not clear why you're blaming LTE. The speed test would have used the same amount of data no matter which network you were using - LTE, 3G, or EDGE.
  • Reply 78 of 131
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

However, it's still not clear why you're blaming LTE. The speed test would have used the same amount of data no matter which network you were using - LTE, 3G, or EDGE.

Are you implying that If my download speed is 1 mb and your download speed is 25 mb, we will use the same amount of data when conducting a speed test? And the only difference is your test completes faster than mine?
  • Reply 79 of 131
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    What about all the "other" 4G devices and tablets out there? Why is the focus only on the iPad? I don't understand that. People on this very forum were clamoring that the iPad3 better have 4G or no sale. Now that it does, people are whining that the iPad (not the user themselves) are eating through their data caps? Jeez... does no one accept responsibility for their actions?

Really now, where is the responsibility of the user to understand that using a cell's data plan is a finite resource that should be managed responsibly? I use my iPad2 3G service only when absolutely necessary to take care of mobile-stuff to keep me connected at work. Otherwise, it's WiFi all the way.

Now, if some clown wants to watch an HD movie on a cell-data plan while commuting to work on a subway bus instead of WiFi, don't even start complaining as to why you burned through all data usage. You have only yourself to blame for it. It's not the Telecom's fault and it's certainly not Apple's fault.

People here seem to have some sense of entitlement that every pipe is an unlimited resource just begging to be exploited.
  • Reply 80 of 131
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Don't count on that lasting. In fact I give it another 3 months tops and they will be throttling 4g if not also 3g use. They will likely follow their iPhone rules and do it after you hit 3GB a month since that's the same cost to the user on a tiered plan. And then folks will pitch the same fits they do over iPhone throttling screaming how they are paying for unlimited and throttling is a limit etc. Only to have it pointed out from the terms and conditions they didn't bother reading when they signed up that in fact they agreed to terms saying that speeds were not guaranteed and could be adjusted based on the needs of the network to insure service to all customers etc etc.

Well they did not throttle the iPad on 3G and are saying they won't on 4g. Remember that the unlimited plans on iPad are a small amount of users and know amount that does not grow. They can maintain them without throttling just for data collection. Unlimited plans are just to small on ioad to make a difference to their network.

Now cell phone unlimited plans are a huge amount of customers and do tax their network heavily, that's why they throttle phones IMHO...