Apple sells 1 million copies of iPhoto for iOS in less than 10 days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rutherware View Post

I would love to know how much it cost to produce iPhoto for iOS.

Might be difficult to put a price on it. Everyone who worked on it was probably an employee on salary, so they were paying that person anyways. If you were to outsource this software then it would probably get pretty pricey.

I'd be curious to know how long it takes to make software like this.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    I love the new iPhoto app. It is great for somebody like me to be able to edit photos on the go. I use it for work, and it has Already increased efficiency of my job. Plus, it is so fun to use. I do wish that they would incorporate better organizing methods in the program, however.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    This is not very much at all: $5M in sales thus far. Not even close to a rounding error.

Given forecasts of the scale of iPad revenue -- in excess of $40B for 2012 (66M iPads*$614/iPads) -- Apple should simply give away iLife for the iPad (just as it does with Macs) and swallow the cost. The extra iPads they might sell will likely more than pay for what might currently be seen as a little bit of nickel-and-diming over a ridiculously small number.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is not very much at all: $5M in sales thus far. Not even close to a rounding error.

Given forecasts of the scale of iPad revenue -- in excess of $40B for 2012 (66M iPads*$614/iPads) -- Apple should simply give away iLife for the iPad (just as it does with Macs) and swallow the cost. The extra iPads they might sell will likely more than pay for what might currently be seen as a little bit of nickel-and-diming over a ridiculously small number.

I think we'll eventually see Apple go down this road. Just like on the Mac, we don't have a separate app for photos, just iPhoto. Same with the other iApps.

Think about an iPad loaded up with Garageband, iMovie, iPhone and iWork. Would be hell of a machine out of the box (although it already is).
  • Reply 25 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Apple should simply give away iLife for the iPad (just as it does with Macs) and swallow the cost. The extra iPads they might sell will likely more than pay for what might currently be seen as a little bit of nickel-and-diming over a ridiculously small number.

I think there is a case to be made but have you considered that iLife for Mac doesn't get feature updates very often and requires the user to purchase the new updates, whereas with iMovie, for example, all those happy with in on their iPhone can now use in on their iPad 1.5 years later without paying any additional costs.

But that's a difference in the current models, I think the most important reason for charging for the app is to keep the App Store competitive. There could also be a case made that giving it away could be anti-competitve. On the Mac Apple's OS dominance is low but for mobile OSes iOS is powerful.

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announced that OS X Mountain Lion is a free yearly update with new Macs when they demo the OS at WWDC.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announced that OS X Mountain Lion is a free yearly update with new Macs when they demo the OS at WWDC.

Free yearly update for three years, and then you have to buy a new computer?

I don't flippin' think so.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

I really think the amount of money Apple makes on the iPad all of their apps for that platform should be free. iWork, iPhoto the works, Apple is wondering what their going to do with that 100 billion dollars in the bank, how about starting with giving a little back to the people who gave that money to them in the first place.

Then perhaps a free iPad for education program that would supply every student in America with one along with the iBooks to go with them. Yes it would cost about 25 Billion dollars to do so but can you imagine the hook them while their young returns that it could produce. Not to mention schools upgrading to newer models later. The ripple effect could be astounding not to mention making Apple the most popular company that was ever established.

Even if this doesn't happen, if you have a valid student ID then the iPad should be sold at cost.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The problem now that the iOS version is both better and faster than the Mac version is storage management. Is it gomna be all iCloud soon?
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Free yearly update for three years, and then you have to buy a new computer?

I don't flippin' think so.

The OS should be free, you have to own a Apple anyway to use it. To make it more interesting for Apple then they could implement a 3 year compatibility program. Meaning every new OSX version would only be installable on Apple products that are not older then 3 years, or 4. I think that's fair enough for a free OS and their updates.

My older Macbook has Solaris 11 and CentOS on it anyway so it's not like people don't have options. Heck even older versions of OSX are more then useable. My neighbor still has her 20" iMac lamp that runs 10.4.11. Gosh that was a cool model wasn't, it looks so cute in her kitchen. Even though it's only a G4 running at 1.25 GHZ I don't see any lag, still very useable as a surfing, music and watching Youtube recipe shows machine.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

My neighbor still has her 20" iMac lamp that runs 10.4.11. Gosh that was a cool model wasn't, it looks so cute in her kitchen. Even though it's only a G4 running at 1.25 GHZ I don't see any lag, still very useable as a surfing, music and watching Youtube recipe shows machine.

Are you aware that the 'sunflower' model, when left near a window on a bright day, will follow the face of the sun as it arcs across the sky?

Don't forget to water it frequently!
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

The problem now that the iOS version is both better and faster than the Mac version is storage management. Is it gomna be all iCloud soon?

Agreed, I use cloud computing so much that I can't wait for the day when my iPad is just a dumb terminal. Yea we still have a while to go before we get there but as an owner of a Chromebook we're getting closer. Jolicloud is a pretty good example of a company who gets it.

Though I like iCloud and I'm very happy that Apple is finally in the game it still has a long way to go before I would use it exclusively. First thing that needs to happen is Apple should raise their free storage size, 5GB is just silly when every one else is offering 25GB to 50GB, checkout Skydrive or BOX for instance. Skydrive is great for your Office docs needs, even if you use iCloud exclusively you should really open up an account, it's free. The online Office apps are just so cool, I save all my Mac Office stuff their, not to mention the sharing functions are out of this world great, especially for collaboration projects.

My favorite cloud site so far though is Asus's Webstorage, it offers unlimited storage for only 50 bucks a year, 2GB filesize upload limit which is incredible. I have 420GB on it so far, mostly movies, music, eBooks and my daily backups. It also does everything iCloud does and more, including being much faster in uploading data, much faster. iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows 8 apps are also available and before you say just more crap that's not Apple, when you upload a movie in Divx or Mp4 format it will convert it on the fly for watching it on their website using Flash or HTML5 or threw your favorite video player. These are the kind of features that I want, not to mention having a really great Doc and Excel editor from Zoho right there on the site, plus eBook and Music player with playlist support as well. There are many more features but i think you get the point.

Exciting times we are living in guys and it's just going to get better. Sorry if I blabbered on to much, I get that way when I'm excited about certain tech.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Are you aware that the 'sunflower' model, when left near a window on a bright day, will follow the face of the sun as it arcs across the sky?

Hehe, aaaahhh that is so cute, I can't wait to tell her that. It's funny you mentioned that, she has a bunch of Sunflower stickers on it and a big one as her desktop picture. She even calls it her sunny friend.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I really think the amount of money Apple makes on the iPad all of their apps for that platform should be free. iWork, iPhoto the works, Apple is wondering what their going to do with that 100 billion dollars in the bank, how about starting with giving a little back to the people who gave that money to them in the first place.

Then perhaps a free iPad for education program that would supply every student in America with one along with the iBooks to go with them. Yes it would cost about 25 Billion dollars to do so but can you imagine the hook them while their young returns that it could produce. Not to mention schools upgrading to newer models later. The ripple effect could be astounding not to mention making Apple the most popular company that was ever established.

Even if this doesn't happen, if you have a valid student ID then the iPad should be sold at cost.

Quote:

The OS should be free, you have to own a Apple anyway to use it. To make it more interesting for Apple then they could implement a 3 year compatibility program. Meaning every new OSX version would only be installable on Apple products that are not older then 3 years, or 4. I think that's fair enough for a free OS and their updates.

You're pretty good at giving away other people's money. How about if you give me your money? After all, you can probably afford to give me some of your money.

Get it through your head. Apple is not a charity.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

My guess is there are a lot of people buying this app because it's from Apple and it's new, shiny, and cheap.

OK, maybe this will fit the bill for some people, and maybe I'm a bit perturbed I won't be able sit on my sofa with my iPad and give my own iPhoto library the attention it deserves/needs, but I still say until they make the two (OS X and iOS versions) play well together, this is an app for the novelty closet.

I can think of a number of business uses for this. People who are selling something can have albums for each item.

Model agency, cars, and houses.

For me, I'd just like the ability to share my desktop iPhoto with my iPad. I can share music, and videos, so why not photo albums?
  • Reply 35 of 46
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I had one but unfortunately after watering it and leaving it near the window.....it's sad one day it failed to boot up. Only the powerup chime and that's it. It's is now my museum piece along with the Blondie iMac.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    I bought it the moment it was available. I still need to come to grips with it though. I had to get a little used to the interface - groping around in the dark for a bit.

Still, for the price and the Apple brand, I think it is a neat app, finally completing my iLife suite for the iPad. Just for old times sake, I put Garage Band, iMovie, iPhoto and the Music app in one folder called iLife! Good times!!
  • Reply 37 of 46
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Quote:

Free for education is just not going to fly - there is no way Apple can even make as many as they would need!

But for the other idea - I think at some point Apple will embrace something like it. Today, there is absolutely no competition for the iPad, so there is no need for Apple to give away quality software. In fact there are many people who would agree that Apple should/could have priced the new iPad higher.... they are leaving quite a bit of money on the table at the low end.

However, maybe when Win 8 is out, if MS manages to gather significant momentum, this is a no brainer for Apple. Apple would have already recovered the development costs of creating iWork and iLife for iOS by now.

And all those people who refuse to classify the iPad as a PC, because it is used only for Consuming Content, will be hard pressed to find some other excuse to avoid counting the iPad in PC sales.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

That might be a record for the number of stupid comments in one post.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That might be a record for the number of stupid comments in one post.

Oh there is no reason for that. The post wasn't to be taken likely, I fully understand that Apple is just another self interest company that will never give out a freebie unless it's for tax reasons or one of their executives was being ransomed. It's nice to dream and when one is lying in a hospital bed they start to question the actions of themselves and others. So I got a little to liberal for a sec but calling a, "we can only dream" post stupid well, I know you are but what am I.

Sometimes I think your mean just to be mean, now go yell at those darn kids to get off your lawn.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're pretty good at giving away other people's money. How about if you give me your money? After all, you can probably afford to give me some of your money.

Get it through your head. Apple is not a charity.

Yes I know thank you for the obvious, I don't need a reality check, it's pretty clear the post was to be taken lightly. I just had a little, I have a dream moment.