Rumor: Next-gen iPhone to feature 4.6-inch Retina Display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    Next Gen iPhone rumors? Whatever.... I've learned, after the last few cycles, to not pay attention to rumors.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

give us a break, we want a good read so stay at engadget you troll

What is so hard in placing him on your ignore list? I've done that a long time ago.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Agreed, 4" would be a nice size. Does anyone know what the PPI will be on a 4" at 960 x 640 ?

Steve made it a point to explain that the human eye can only discern 300 pixels when a phone is held about 12 inches from your face.

So keeping that standard, what does apple need to do to keep the same aspect ratio, and PPI with a bigger screen and the same aspect ratio?

960x640 = 614400 pixels

3.5 = 329.65 PPI

3.7 = 311.83 PPI

3.9 = 295.84 PPI

1152x768 = 884736 pixels

4" = 346.13 PPI

4.2" = 329.65 PPI

1296x864 = 1119744 pixels (HD Level)

4" = 389.4 PPI

4.2" = 370.86 PPI

Calculator here: http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

Seems like the 1152x768 would be perfect for a 4" screen.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Has anyone seen the Galaxy Nexus? It uses a horrible PenTile display and huge.

Have YOU seen the Galaxy Nexus screen? I think you're confusing displays with the big pixels on the much lower resolution screens that Pentile originally appeared on "back in the day", relatively speaking. The Galaxy Nexus is not your fathers' Pentile.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5310/s...wich-review/11
  • Reply 45 of 109
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    I think someone is trying to revive Steve Jobs from the dead so he can beat the hell out of these larger iphone and smaller ipad rumors.

Frankly, I'm happy with the current form factor...IF Apple mess with it...they'll lose me. I don't want nor need a smartphone that CAN'T fit in my pockets.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Like most on here I can't see this happening. I have no desire for a significantly larger screen which would necessitate a bigger form factor. A very small increase in screen size, one which would still fit in the current iPhone dimensions, would be welcome.

The only way I can see 4.6" is if Apple moves away from the single model approach to a small range of iPhones.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    3.7" perhaps. Or, 3.5"
  • Reply 48 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    9to5 has posted a poll on what iPhone users would like to see for screen size on the next iPhone. After 60K+ votes, over 60% of the respondents would accept a larger iPhone if they could have a 4" or larger display. In fact more voters want a much larger display. 4.3" or bigger, than leaving it as is. Going by those results, unscientific tho they may be, it's still a good indicator IMO that most iPhone users aren't particularly happy with the relatively small screens on the current model.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/21/could-...y/#more-154581

I think a larger display is certainly in Apple's plans.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

So keeping that standard, what does apple need to do to keep the same aspect ratio, and PPI with a bigger screen and the same aspect ratio?

iOS apps aren't designed with resolution independence in mind. If Apple don't keep the same pixel ratios they are going to have 500K+ apps that look like complete shit.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think the larger iPhone and smaller iPad rumors will culminate in a new iPod Touch.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

9to5 has posted a poll on what iPhone users would like to see for screen size on the next iPhone. After 60K+ votes, over 60% of the respondents would accept a larger iPhone if they could have a 4" or larger display. In fact more voters want a much larger display. 4.3" or bigger, than leaving it as is. Going by those results, unscientific tho they may be, it's still a good indicator IMO that most iPhone users aren't particularly happy with the relatively small screens on the current model.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/21/could-...y/#more-154581

I think a larger display is certainly in Apple's plans.

Wellif Apple goes over 4" I guess I'll be keeping my 4S until they stop updating software for it.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    My prediction:

Apple will go with a 4-4.1" display at a 16:9 ratio. This maintains the same width as the existing iPhones, and therefore their one-handed usability. The phone may be taller, but the existing top bezel is unnecessarily large, so they could eat into it to minimize the overall size change. The horizontal pixel count would stay the same, but the vertical one would increase. Existing iPhone apps already have to take vertical length changes into account (think the "you're in a call" and the "device connected to hotspot" banners), so many would work already, and the rest could be fixed with minimal changes. The extra height of the display could also afford a (slightly) thicker status bar across the top, opening up possibilities for new notification and/or multitasking features. The extra height available to apps would greatly increase usability when the on-screen keyboard is shown (the one major drawback of the current iPhone aspect ratio).
  • Reply 53 of 109
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Well isn't that interesting...

My Galaxy Nexus already has a 4.65 inch display (as shown in the article), though it's of the much more vibrant, power-efficient AMOLED variety.

Of course this article is based upon a 'rumor' so we'll likely never see anything remotely close on the 'new iPhone'.

I guess if you have to use phone size to make up for feelings of inferiority over size of more important things, I'm happy that you've found a consolation.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    This is obviously false and link bait. The screen size we have now is fine. I want a phone in my pocket, not a tablet.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Too big. My iPhone barley fits in my pocket as is. I hope not.

i've handled the samsung TOO BIG

now take this thing and put an otter box defender on it TOO BIG

apple will not abandon developers

ipad 3 iTouch et al won't follow this

apple won't fragment as android has

someone with photoshop ability try a 4" screen

(I agree with bluefish86)

but still with a case i'm already having issues with the clip, pants, shirt pocket thing

can you imagine a mophie case and a 4.6" screen

wow no way

there is not a comfortable clip, case combo that will fit

and women aren't going to buy BIGGER PANTS for this thing----end discussion
  • Reply 56 of 109
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Too big. My iPhone barley fits in my pocket as is. I hope not.

Stop wearing girly skinny jeans.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

http://senorgif.memebase.com/vote/

take a look at "too much booty"

• Reply 58 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

http://youtu.be/w2kURLvHRxE
  • Reply 59 of 109
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's completely ridiculous to think that this could be for the next iPhone.

A 4.6" screen with the iPhone's aspect ratio would be difficult to even hold.

Apple would need to change the aspect ratio which would change the UI which is something Apple simply can't do.

So here's a news flash (6 months and about 1000 completely ridiculous rumours ahead of time)... the form factor on the next iPhone will be pretty much the same as the current iPhone.

So if there is any truth at all to this rumour the screen must be for something else.

The question is... what could it be? A new iPod touch? A controller for the new Apple TV? Something entirely new?!?!?

iPad Nano? :P
  • Reply 60 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess if you have to use phone size to make up for feelings of inferiority over size of more important things, I'm happy that you've found a consolation.

Many Apple consumers like the current size. But when it comes to brand name, they very much want it to be Apple. It is the brand name that makes up for feelings of inferiority.

You can be Justin Long or Albert Einstein just by shelling out a couple of hundred bucks at the ATT store! I'm a MAC and I THINK DIFFERENT! I'm a CREATIVE! And everybody you come across knows it just by your purchase decisions.

I'm glad that Apple products are so appealing to so many people. They overcome destructive emotions in an easy to acquire manner. Thank goodness the prices are such that pretty much anybody can buy one or more.