Apple's iPhone tops BlackBerry in RIM's home of Canada for first time

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

There is no free (with 2 year contract) iPhones 3GS in Canada?

I think there is, but when you can get an HTC Amaze (1.5 Ghz dual core, 4.3 inch S-LCD, 1 GB ram, 16 GB storage + SD card slot, 42 mbps HSPA+) for free, or the LG Optimus LTE for 30 dollars (1.5 Ghz dual core, 1 GB ram, LTE 75 mbps, 4.5" 720p IPS LCD screen with a higher DPI than Apple's retina screen), then no one is going to consider any Apple phone that's not the 4S, and most if not everyone who wants a free phone will take the spec-ed out Android.

The iPhone 3GS was good when it came out, but compared to any mid to high-end Android released in the last year to 18 months, doesn't look very good.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

About every month or two I get a big junkmail envelope from Rogers (one of the big carriers in Canada) offering me a bunch of new phones to choose from. They have never put an iPhone in that flyer. There are usually 3 or 4 android phones and 1 or 2 rim phones, ranging from free to $200, all with contract of course.

I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone ad in print, and the only iPhone ads I see on television are the ones Apple runs. In contrast, all the commercials that the carriers run feature android phones. I do see commercials for rim but I believe those are put out by rim - I don't think they're carrier-specific commercials that are advertising rim phones.

I am surprised though that it's taken until now for iPhone to surpass Rim in sales. Of everyone I know with a smartphone, there's one blackberry and the rest are all iPhones. Maybe I just hang with the right crowd.

The business class is still completely dominated by BB. In the US it's considered acceptable for employees to use iPhones (probably because of patriotic pride), in Canada, companies still hand out BBs, and nothing else. If they ever replace them, it will probably be a customized Android phone, but for now, BB still is king (for corporations).
  • Reply 23 of 23

Thanks for your post. Now very person has one iPhone ...image