Best Buy sells nearly as many iPhones as Apple does directly

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Then the iPhone must literally sell itself. In my neck of the woods (near St. Louis) there are two Best Buy stores within 5 miles north and south. In both stores the Android displays are up front and in your face when you walk in the door. You actually have to go looking for the iPhone display. If you stand around and listen to the sales "associates" talking to people you wouldn't know the iPhone or iPad even existed. Same old same old for Best Buy in my neighborhood.

That's what it's like at my local Best Buy as well. 100 or so Android phones on display at the front of the store, plus a rack of Samsung tablets. Hard sell all the way. You could easily overlook that even sell the iPhone, although oddly they have a ton of iPhone accessories.

Reminiscent of the bad old PC days, when Best Buy would try to dissuade anyone trying to buy a Mac. Same reason, I would guess: PC and Android manufactures see Best Buy (and the carriers) as their "customer" and are willing to cut deals to get their wares front and center. Apple has never been much interested in that, which is why the had to go into retail themselves. Direct sales to their real customers, without a bunch of sketchy bullshit.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Do they still do that? Last time I was in a BB I thought they had the iPhones up front.

It depends on the layout of the store. But most best buys have android advertised like crazy because best buy actually makes money off of the droid phones. The only money best buy makes on the iPhone is on accessories and the black tie protection.

Speaking of which, when the iPhone 4S came out for sprint, sprint didn't have an insurance plan for the iPhone because of their huge investment they made, so people went to best buy to buy it to get the protection plan. Crazy huh?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Walmart it sells for $188. Why does everyone not buy it there?

no walmart in nyc
  • Reply 24 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm surprised Apple's B&M and online stores are so low. I would have expected them to be the largest distributor.

Not with AT&T and Verizon stores on every street corner.

AT&T alone has 9,000 stores according to one source:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5155222AAiiNSz

If that number is correct and Verizon has a similar number, then Apple is selling roughly 20 times as many phones per store as AT&T.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Because most people who buy apple products usually have more than 2 nickles to rub together.

Aka- like to waste money? This is always a really dumb argument. All the other points the others made were valid- this one just reeks of arrogance and poor spending attitude. Your wealthiest people in the world always look at ways to save money- and getting it at walmart causes no less convenience or time- in fact- in most cases, there is a Walmart much more readily available than an apple store. But being a yuppy is half the fun for the $30k millionaire, right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Walmart is disgusting.

I'd probably have to use $12 worth of disinfectant soap and shampoo to get clean after I've stepped foot in a Walmart.

Lol- good point- although my walmarts are very new and "relatively" clean in my city (McKinney). I just like it because there is never a wait and they always have stock even on release day (as does target). I usually do target.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Aka- like to waste money? This is always a really dumb argument. All the other points the others made were valid- this one just reeks of arrogance and poor spending attitude. Your wealthiest people in the world always look at ways to save money- and getting it at walmart causes no less convenience or time- in fact- in most cases, there is a Walmart much more readily available than an apple store. But being a yuppy is half the fun for the $30k millionaire, right?

Lol- good point- although my walmarts are very new and "relatively" clean in my city (McKinney). I just like it because there is never a wait and they always have stock even on release day (as does target). I usually do target.

For me the few cents extra I might pay at a Target is well worth it. I mean, Target isn't Saks 5th Avenue, or anything, but at least they have a modicum of design and style, and the lighting doesn't make you feel like it's some sort of detention center. Walmart is just so aggressively "here are mass quantities of cheap shit buy it pigs." Even Costco is preferable, for me, in that it feels like a big warehouse where the trucks just dropped stuff off and not so claustrophobically shitty.

I dunno how they manage to make such huge facilities feel claustrophobic. I think they put something in the ventilators to crush all hope, just so you'll shuffle around and buy stuff without any thought to what else you might be doing.