Report: New iPad already accounts for over 6% of all Apple tablets
A Friday report from a mobile ad network claims that, despite being on sale for only one week, the new iPad already accounts for 6.6 percent of Apple tablets accessing the internet.
Chitika Insights found that over the past 24 hours, the third-generation iPad's U.S. internet traffic presence has grown to some 6.6 percent of all iPad models, with the original iPad and 2011 iPad 2 taking the remaining 93.4 percent share.
The report, which is the result of data gathering regarding device and browser usage patterns, saw the new iPad steadily increase its share since it was released on March 16. Traffic share fluctuated from a reported 5 percent the day after launch to a high of 9.9 percent on Tuesday.
Peak usage times for Apple's new tablet occur between 0600 and 0900 UTC, or 2 am to 5 am EDT and 10 pm to midnight PST. This data is somewhat skewed in that the a high percentage of new iPads are being used on the west coast compared to cities like New York.
Currently, Nevada has the highest concentration of Apple's new tablet with 7.2 percent, followed by California, Connecticut and Washington with 6.9 percent, 6.7 percent and 6.6 percent, respectively. Arkansas is at the bottom of the list with a 4 percent share while 17 states didn't have a sample size large enough to provide an accurate reading.
The report is not to be mistaken for iPad adoption rate, though the numbers jibe with Apple's announcement that it sold 3 million units over the launch weekend.
The new iPad's adoption rate is unclear, as Chitika's report only takes U.S. traffic into account, however it can be assumed that the numbers are somewhat indicative of other markets in which the tablet is popular.
As part of its fastest international iPad rollout ever, Apple launched the tablet on Friday in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
[ View article on AppleInsider ]