Apple rumored to mass produce new 15" MacBook Pro in April, 13" in June

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Me too - I have to as my first generation intel mbp cannot now be used to develop for iOS (can't run Lion). I hope it's a retina display...but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm sitting here trying to mentally reinforce the idea that I'm going to go another generation before I replace my MBP! Fortunately I still can run LION but it is really becoming a constrained machine for many reasons. Here is to your new MBP at the end of next month.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not a chance. They would absolutely not limit it to 128 GB. You can pretty safely ignore everything that "I'm a zzz" says.

I think the most likely scenario is that they will continue what they're doing now - platter drive as standard with various sizes of SSD and hard drives optional. I would prefer a small (64 GB) SSD and larger hard disk, but don't really expect to see that.

In fact by doing away with the optical and and further optimizing the motherboard they could very well include an SSD for zero additional costs to the user. Honestly a 64 GB SSD is pretty dang cheap right now.

My problem, as express elsewhere, is that 64 GB is just to darn small for a boot drive. Even a 128GB isn't a huge problem as that size is included in the AIRs right now. Since the MBP are a step up in price and performance this isn't a huge issue as a magnetic drive will not add much to the cost.

In this case I think it is better to expect a lot and be satisfied with what you get than to expect to little and not push technology forward.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

If Apple can pull off a generational jump in performance with Ivy Bridge PLUS newer (faster, and hopefully fatter GB) SSD drives AND add a retina res display AND slim the whole package down AND cut the weight AND at least maintain battery life... ...AND ... ...keep the present price point, well then, damn, that's gonna be one fast-moving truck.

err for those that don't know a rail is a dragster.

However remember most of Ivy Bridges goodness comes in the form of a much better GPU. Apple will be able to get better CPU performance but that won't be a huge selling point with IB based machines.

Quote:

(Fast moving as in sweet, sleek and moving quickly off the shelves....)

USB 3.0's built into the chipset, so the USB port upgrades (to remove one nagged-at point) - and tie something like this to that 27" TB monitor, with the monitor's port array hosting mass external storage along with any and every other possible peripheral your heart might desire - via likely one and in no case more than two connections - and that's your new world-leading "Mobdesk" (mobile/desktop) computer system of 2012. Hands down. No competition.

I really think the idea of a desktop replacement is kinda dead in the water. I've yet to see a laptop that can realistically replace a desktop and I'm pretty much convinced that it can never happen.

Quote:

And there most certainly will be a profitable and sizable niche for a pro level (and named) machine of this class. Though it would begin to pull more sales from the iMac line..... ...but the trend to untethered is already well-advanced and Apple's already leading the way.

Well the trend is to mobile devices. That is iPhones and iPads. Especially as things like iPad get far better with each release, the need haul around your primary computer will go away.

Quote:

(Wish list: 1) 811ac and 2) BTO 3/4G option with same or expanded choice of wireless providers that iPad is already supported by.)

(Just remember, the first word in the post is "if"......) (And yes, I know "Mobdesk" is a terrible coinage, but hey, it describes the convergence....)

It isn't terrible coinage but rather a terrible idea. That is trying to win a market (desktop replacement) that won't be around in two years.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I doubt there will be a13" Pro and a 13" Air. The 13" is coming later because it is not an MBP, but an Air update. It could also be delayed because it will have a retina display and the iPad is taking up all the supply right now.

Seriously dude, Intel will only have a limited selection of Ivy Bridge based chips available at release. Apple could have sights on a lower power variant for the 13" MBP. Which sadly might mean another year of dual cores in the 13"MBP.

In any event ARIS and other hardware from Apple can only come after Intel has suitable chips on the market. Or Apple can switch to AMD.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cue the whining about Ethernet cables, matte, USB 3.0, graphics card, FireWire, ..... What am I missing?

AS to Ethernet and a discrete GPU, well they better be there if they want to call these MBP. More so if they want to call these MBP with HiDPI screens they better have a very powerful GPU in there to drive all of those pixels.

By the way HiDPI does not imply retina. in this case they could simply drive the screens at 1.5 to 2X resolution which may or may not qualify for a retina designation.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    diggitidiggiti Posts: 15member
    What If :

Macbook Pro ONLY 15" no more 17" or 13" Pro

Macbook AIR 13" , 11"
  • Reply 47 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Diggiti View Post

…no more 17" or 13" Pro…

That'd be sad. I want to see the 17" keep existing.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That'd be sad. I want to see the 17" keep existing.

I second this.

Let's not speculate too wildly as I don't feel Apple will do anything too rash for now.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    It's more likely they will add a 15" MBA in early May followed by all new MBPs announced at WWDC in June together with Mountain Lion & iWork/iLfe with iCloud.

I don't think they are going to merge the two lines. MBA in 11", 13", 15" & MBP in 13", 15", 17".

MBA is lightweight ultra portable, whereas MBP is power desktop replacement.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

DigiTimes.

Guys, just? why? Okay, once they get ONE thing right out of EVER? THEN you should start reporting their stuff. I say stop doing it until that happens.

Just rumors as usual.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I really think the idea of a desktop replacement is kinda dead in the water. I've yet to see a laptop that can realistically replace a desktop and I'm pretty much convinced that it can never happen.

I love this old chestnut. Another oft-repeated assertion totally lacking context.

First, it assumes that everyone who needs more than an iPad - or even more than a base model 11.6" MB Air - for their work (or their other digital passions) always needs the latest, greatest, most tricked out desktop that exists this very moment. When in fact there are a range of people generally still bound mostly to desktops for reasons that include screen real estate, local storage, other peripherals (like the soon to be gone ODD's in all Apple notebooks) - and yes, horsepower for tasks that are more practical and productive with a more powerful computer. But they're not all rendering hours of complex compositing on full-length HD Video projects.

Second, let's add a few terms to your sentence to make a point. I.e., here's a patently untrue statement in the same form: "I've yet to see a 2012, top of the line laptop that can realistically replace a good 2010 desktop and I'm pretty much convinced that it can never happen."

Actually, this not only happens routinely, as witnessed by the number of folks who no longer have desktops at all, since the latest notebooks meet their needs, but also, technology happens at different rates for different components. The combo of the latest MB Pro and the 27" TB monitor has a screen that's going to be sweet and more than adequate for 95%+ of users for years - and ditto for ODD's, Ext. HDD's (and SSD's), printers, scanners, etc, while the CPU and the rest of the chip and motherboard bits are the parts that evolve so quickly (and for notebooks, hopefully, battery technology).

So third, and I'm fairly sure this is Apple's marketing notion as well, the combo of the TB monitor and MBP are going to bring in more revenue upfront (and cost us a premium, natch), but then, we get to have a) the advantages of a powerful-enough traveling computer and b) a desktop that's equivalent to the best desktop from 1-3 years earlier - at the cost of upgrading the just the notebook piece every few years.
    And for those who currently need a desktop and a notebook, the cost of a MacBook + iMac is higher - and both will have obsolescent electronics in two years - neither with an upgrade path other than the replacement of both!
    The latest iMacs are sweet machines - and a perfect example of a system which a) won't travel in your briefcase, and b) will still have a great screen and plenty of storage when it's time to replace it. So the solution is to simply replace the CPU - which the Thunderbolt equipped MB Pros allow.

As Jobs said, there will still be a "truck" business for a good long while, and Apple's in it. But even for most power users, a Ford F150 will meet their needs and only a few will need huge semi-trucks like MB Pros. Especially when a new pickup - courtesy of Moore's Law - will do the haul of a few year old semi.

Quote:

Well the trend is to mobile devices. That is iPhones and iPads. Especially as things like iPad get far better with each release, the need haul around your primary computer will go away.It is ... rather a terrible idea. That is trying to win a market (desktop replacement) that won't be around in two years.

Now you're contradicting yourself, at least mildly.

Do you really think the only machines people will need on the road in just two years will be iPad class? Arm's not going to get that good that fast, and 9.7" won't always cut it. I mean, if I'm going out to the coffeeshop, my iPad's plenty of computing power. But if I'm going on a three day business trip that's going to involve a lot of productivity work or on a two week vacation, I want (and neeed) a MacBook Pro.

We're in the middle of MULTIPLE transitions here - i.e., desktop to notebook, notebook to iPad, dumb phone to smart phone - and we'll ALWAYS be in the middle of multiple transitions. So the question is the best proximal solution to manage those at any time - both from Apple's point of view as a company and from ours as users.

Sure, there's going to be roll-up screens, total voice interfaces and who knows what down the road - and today's iPads and iPhones will seem quaint looking back - but during the current transition deeper into the "post-PC" era - the combo of a TB-equipped pro-level notebook and a set of TB peripherals is going to be a great solution for many. Even if the great majority of those users will also have iPads and iPhones.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    I'm fine with Apple taking away the optical drive on the new MacBook Pros, but if they reduce hard drive space, that's not going to work with me.

The current specs have a max hard drive of 750 GB. If they maintain this, I'm fine with it.

If, however, this is limited to 256 GB (the largest solid state drives I've heard of), or they make a regular hard drive an expensive build to order option, then I won't be happy.

I want to install Linux on it, and possibly Windows, and keep some movie files, so regressing the hard drive capacity won't work with me.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    They will probably keep HDD capacities the same. I am looking at the Western Digital site and the Scorpio Black they used the last time as an OEM drive. If they wanted to have a 1 TB option, they only have the Scorpio Blue.

Have they ever used Seagate before?

There is also the Samsung 830 SSD and whatever Toshiba offers up in the SATA III interface.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

If, however, this is limited to 256 GB (the largest solid state drives I've heard of), or they make a regular hard drive an expensive build to order option, then I won't be happy.

Hey Cowboy, they are putin 512 SSDs in MBPs right now.... Peace

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD322LL/A
  • Reply 55 of 76
    amtiamti Posts: 19member
    I'd buy this 13" Pro:

- No ODD.

- Modified Air form (slightly thicker to fit a HDD).

- Ivy bridge with integrated GPU, dual-core.

- No discrete GPU.

- 4 GB RAM, 8 GB option.

- Blade form SSD bay with 128/256 GB drive.

- HDD bay with 500/750 GB drive.

- RAM, SSD, and HDD all user replaceable.

- IPS screen, with a res/ppi equal to the current 13" Air screen (1440 x 900, 128 ppi), and an option for double that (2880 x 1800, 255 ppi).

- Glossy screen without glass panel. Option for matte without glass panel.

- One TB port.

- One USB 3 port on each side.

- No card slot.

- Ethernet is nice, but not necessary once USB 3 is in play (via USB-Ethernet adaptor). Rather have the flexibility of the fast USB 3 port.

- 8 hour battery.

Basically a specked up 13" Air, with a HDD.

Don't know how realistic it is.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That ranks right up there with:

- The automobile can never replace the horse for personal transportation.

- Mobile phones can never replace fixed land-line phones.

- Carbon tennis rackets can never replace wood.

- Fountain pens can never replace quill pens.

- The electric lightbulb can never replace gas lamps.

- Radial tires can never replace bias-ply tires.

- Jet aircraft can never replace propeller aircraft.

- English can never replace French as the international language.

- Packet-switched networks can never replace circuit-switched networks.

... except that the other predictions were all made before they were falsified. Now we have someone making a prediction that has already been falsified.

It must be April Fool's Day.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amti View Post

I'd buy this 13" Pro:

- No ODD.

- Modified Air form (slightly thicker to fit a HDD).

- Ivy bridge with integrated GPU, dual-core.

- No discrete GPU.

- 4 GB RAM, 8 GB option.

- Blade form SSD bay with 128/256 GB drive.

- HDD bay with 500/750 GB drive.

- RAM, SSD, and HDD all user replaceable.

- IPS screen, with a res/ppi equal to the current 13" Air screen (1440 x 900, 128 ppi), and an option for double that (2880 x 1800, 255 ppi).

- One TB port.

- One USB 3 port on each side.

- No card slot.

- Ethernet is nice, but not necessary once USB 3 is in play (via USB-Ethernet adaptor). Rather have the flexibility of the fast USB 3 port.

- 8 hour battery.

Basically a specked up 13" Air, with a HDD.

Don't know how realistic it is.

I expect the next 13" MacBook Pro to look more like this:

- No ODD.

- Modified Air form (slightly thicker to accommodate a bigger battery and greater airflow).

- Ivy bridge with integrated GPU, quad-core.

- Discrete GPU.

- 4 GB RAM, 8 GB option.

- Blade form SSD bay with 128/256/512 GB drive.

- No HDD.

- RAM, SSD not user replaceable.

- 2560x1600 resolution.

- One TB port.

- Two or three USB 2 ports.

- One card slot.

- Ethernet port.

- 8 hour battery.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

- No ODD.

- Modified Air form (slightly thicker to accommodate a bigger battery and greater airflow).

- Discrete GPU.

- 4 GB RAM, 8 GB option.

- No HDD.

- 2560x1600 resolution.

- One TB port.

- One card slot.

- Ethernet port.

- 8 hour battery.

Could they go with a low to medium end discrete graphics card that wouldn't produce much heat?
  • Reply 59 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Could they go with a low to medium end discrete graphics card that wouldn't produce much heat?

In his vision, it's still pushing a (nonexistent right now) retina display, so you'd want butterfish graphics.

STOP AUTO-CORRECTING 'BETTER-ISH' TO BUTTERFISH, MOUNTAIN LION!
  • Reply 60 of 76
    If so, I'd never buy one. Not having the option to upgrade RAM and HD after purchase are instant disqualifiers for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

- No ODD.

- Discrete GPU.

- 4 GB RAM, 8 GB option.

- No HDD.

- 2560x1600 resolution.

- One TB port.

- One card slot.

- Ethernet port.

- 8 hour battery.