Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Simple math. Rubin claimed that Google has made $2.5 B in mobile advertising. Their court documents claim that they've received $500 M from Android. If that's all advertising, then Android accounted for 20% of Google's mobile advertising - with iOS being most of the rest.





    I see. I thought iOS users were smarter than that. Why do they click on so many ads?
  • Reply 42 of 88
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    When you first turn an Android device on and run through the set up process it asks you to log into a Google account or set one up.



    I've done it hundreds of times when selling cheap, crappy PAYG android phones.







    $750 million for AdMob, something smells fishy.



    It will ask you but its not required. However if you want to download anything from the market then you will have to.
  • Reply 43 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Android overall is basically bottom of the barrel, fragmented junk made for economically disadvantaged people, many of whom secretly dream about owning Apple devices.



    When I see the average person with an Android device, I see a person who is not very tech savvy, I see a person who is cheap and I see a person who is using an outdated device running an outdated OS. That is the majority of Android users. If you happen to be an Android user and the above doesn't apply to you, then don't bother replying to me, as you do not represent the majority. You are an extremist and I don't care about you, as you represent a statistical minority.



    Android is such damn garbage, it is worse than bloody awful. Is it any surprise that Google makes 80% from iOS and only 20% from Android? Android users are so damn cheap. Apple users appreciate great technology, and Apple users put their money where their mouths are. Android users are a bunch of freeloading cheapskates who are extremely unwilling to open up their wallets. An app store is not sustainable when your clients are either cheap as hell or from third world countries where people make a few peanuts in wages every day. That my friends is Android, it's a complete freaking nightmare.
  • Reply 44 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LucianA View Post


    An Apple site jumping the gun once again on any apparently negative news about Android. You guys talk a lot more about Android than Android sites talk about Apple.



    Blah, blah, blah



    Unless Google is lying to minimise potential damages payable to Oracle.



    Maybe the SEC should step in to find out why Google is investing so much in return for so little.
  • Reply 45 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Android overall is basically bottom of the barrel, fragmented junk made for economically disadvantaged people, many of whom secretly dream about owning Apple devices.



    When I see the average person with an Android device, I see a person who is not very tech savvy, I see a person who is cheap and I see a person who is using an outdated device running an outdated OS. That is the majority of Android users. If you happen to be an Android user and the above doesn't apply to you, then don't bother replying to me, as you do not represent the majority. You are an extremist and I don't care about you, as you represent a statistical minority.



    Android is such damn garbage, it is worse than bloody awful. Is it any surprise that Google makes 80% from iOS and only 20% from Android? Android users are so damn cheap. Apple users appreciate great technology, and Apple users put their money where their mouths are. Android users are a bunch of freeloading cheapskates who are extremely unwilling to open up their wallets. An app store is not sustainable when your clients are either cheap as hell or from third world countries where people make a few peanuts in wages every day. That my friends is Android, it's a complete freaking nightmare.



    If you ever run out of material or just simply don't feel up to trolling at the moment, bookmark this page as a resource. The MG Siegler version would fit right in with a post like this with some readers not even noticing you didn't author it yourself. It's a real time-saver:

    http://trollemipsum.appspot.com/?typ...&length=screed



    EDIT: On second thought I'll give you more credit than that. Your post was more of a "Mad as Hell" Gruber. My bad.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post


    It will ask you but its not required. However if you want to download anything from the market then you will have to.



    In other word's if you don't want to use it as just a feature phone.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I see. I thought iOS users were smarter than that. Why do they click on so many ads?



    Who says they click on ads? It could be simply Google's charge for displaying the ads, not click-through revenue.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Who says they click on ads? It could be simply Google's charge for displaying the ads, not click-through revenue.



    Maybe but if no one is clicking on the ads, the advertisers are paying a lot of money for very few conversions.



    On the other hand, my measly little Google adSense properties only work with clicks, but I still earn a surprising amount from stray accidental clicks on text only ads so I'm happy if people keep clicking on them regardless of how dumb it might be.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Android overall is basically bottom of the barrel, fragmented junk made for economically disadvantaged people, many of whom secretly dream about owning Apple devices.



    When I see the average person with an Android device, I see a person who is not very tech savvy, I see a person who is cheap and I see a person who is using an outdated device running an outdated OS. That is the majority of Android users. If you happen to be an Android user and the above doesn't apply to you, then don't bother replying to me, as you do not represent the majority. You are an extremist and I don't care about you, as you represent a statistical minority.



    Android is such damn garbage, it is worse than bloody awful. Is it any surprise that Google makes 80% from iOS and only 20% from Android? Android users are so damn cheap. Apple users appreciate great technology, and Apple users put their money where their mouths are. Android users are a bunch of freeloading cheapskates who are extremely unwilling to open up their wallets. An app store is not sustainable when your clients are either cheap as hell or from third world countries where people make a few peanuts in wages every day. That my friends is Android, it's a complete freaking nightmare.



    Or Android users do not rely on their tech to define them. Based on your little rant, your world revolves around the phone in your hand and your judgment of others revolves around theirs. I weep for our future. I hope you do not have any real responsibility in life.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    A troll user with one post who signed up just today; magically appears out of the blue to defend Google/Android.



    Actually, I don't agree that he is a troll user. He had a very reasoned argument about the numbers. And when you take the numbers into account, the headline deserves a comment, at least: the operative verb in the headline is "earns"; accurate reporting should be "earned."
  • Reply 51 of 88
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Maybe Google should just $hit can Android altogether if they aren't making much money from it.
  • Reply 52 of 88
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    Maybe Google should just $hit can Android altogether if they aren't making much money from it.



    500 Mil? Not much money? You do realize just because a company does not make as much money as Apple they are no considered failures? A profit is a profit, people are employed, money is coming in. Sounds pretty good. Unless of course the whole world can be run on iPods, iPhones, iPads and Mac's???? Hard to ride my iPad to work, eat my Mac for lunch.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post


    Or Android users do not rely on their tech to define them. Based on your little rant, your world revolves around the phone in your hand and your judgment of others revolves around theirs. I weep for our future. I hope you do not have any real responsibility in life.



    The general belief here is that he is 14.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post


    The general belief here is that he is 14.



    Enough said. If my 14 year old had that attitude I would consider myself a massive failure.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Though obviously that kind of news is designed to delight iOS users, one wonders... heading into the trial with Oracle, it would be in their interest to make the Android revenues as small as possible. I wonder if those numbers are trustworthy.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post


    500 Mil? Not much money? You do realize just because a company does not make as much money as Apple they are no considered failures? A profit is a profit, people are employed, money is coming in. Sounds pretty good. Unless of course the whole world can be run on iPods, iPhones, iPads and Mac's???? Hard to ride my iPad to work, eat my Mac for lunch.



    Revenue is not profit. If you take his comment unsarcastically and view it in regards to all of the money Google has poured into Android, then he's saying 500mil may not make Google much money.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post


    Revenue is not profit. If you take his comment unsarcastically and view it in regards to all of the money Google has poured into Android, then he's saying 500mil may not make Google much money.



    To make any money is worth pursuing, it is employing people.
  • Reply 58 of 88
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    In other word's if you don't want to use it as just a feature phone.



    If you dont want to use Gmail, the Apps market and any other google products you never have to register. You can still install apps from other sources, load amazon app market, use other email protocols such as imap, pop3 or exchange.
  • Reply 59 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    If you ever run out of material or just simply don't feel up to trolling at the moment, bookmark this page as a resource. The MG Siegler version would fit right in with a post like this with some readers not even noticing you didn't author it yourself. It's a real time-saver:

    http://trollemipsum.appspot.com/?typ...&length=screed



    EDIT: On second thought I'll give you more credit than that. Your post was more of a "Mad as Hell" Gruber. My bad.



    Hello? Anybody home?



    What are you blabbering on about?
  • Reply 60 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post


    To make any money is worth pursuing, it is employing people.



    You, my friend, need to understand something about "cost of capital."
Sign In or Register to comment.