Judge affirms vital Apple touchscreen patent in case against Motorola

Comments

• Reply 121 of 166
    Patents and their implied monopoly stimulate research. Including software research and related patents. Although Mueller is open about his dislike for software patents. His comment about a 20 year monopoly being against the public good for something that would be invented anyways is part of his view, but inconsistent with general practice of patent law. He has his view, but it is irrelevant on this point. I find his reporting and interpretation for the lay person to be first class.
  • Reply 122 of 166
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Internet forums have done something truly remarkable. It has brought together people of a common interest without any prerequisites for age, gender, country, culture, mental or physical health, etc. without any of the typical discrimination. You are present by choice and are judged based solely on your words.

I have no idea if Relic is truly a female in hospital in Switzerland. I also have no reason to doubt any one of those things just as I have no reason to doubt the part of your (Applebaum) life and working with Apple early on.

But does any of these things matter when addressing someone in and internet forum? Should we give up objectivity because we think we know something personal a forum member? I sure hope not. If I make a blatantly false statement I hope I'm called out on it because I want to learn from my mistake. I'm not a member because I want my back patted, I'm a member because I want to be educated and AI forum members have never let me down in that regard.

PS: I'm nonplussed by your hugging comment.

Yeah...

I agree with what you are saying above -- and you and I both will call each other (or another regular) out if we think it is warranted.

I tend to believe most people are pretty much how they "come across" in conversation/communication -- when we concentrate on what they say and how they reason -- as opposed to how they look or how they are dressed. As you say, a web forum is a great equalizer -- it removes any surface distractions and tends to focus on the mind, upbringing, prejudices and agendas...

Sure, when discussing/describing ourselves -- we all Ac-cent-u-ate the positive, E-lim-i-nate the negative...

But, you learn more by reading between the lines... looking for an agenda...

I, pretty much, think @Relic is what she claims... though, I have tried to "test" her claims (not her whinges) with the bait not taken... It'd be rude to pursue it if, in fact, she is as she says she is...

The "official hugger" was a joke based on you retaining @TBell as your attorney -- If @Relic were going to suggest that I, too, needed a hug... you'd be the recipient on my behalf

• Reply 123 of 166
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

@Relic

I am with Sol here...

Several times (even today) I have considered putting you on my ignore list (along with gator/zather) -- because most of your posts are a rambling pro-everything-but-Apple whinge.

IMO, this kind of stuff doesn't contribute to the discussion here!

I do realize that you are living in confined circumstances and receiving medications including morphine -- that could be partially responsible...

I think that when you make well-considered posts -- most regulars, here, will respond in kind!

P.S. I have retained SolipsismX as my official hugger...

Your right I am out of my mind most of the time. This past month especially, I am in a lot of pain and I am very scared that I will probably never leave this place. However I am still a geek and I love all tech. I only try to defend those company's who make a contribution to the bettering of technology in a whole. We need competition, we need more company's who make better products then Apple. Not because I hate Apple or want them to fail but to keep them on their toes to push them so they can continue coming out with awesome products. I don't mean to come off as a hater so for that I'm sorry. If anyone lives in Switzerland or will be passing threw anytime soon I would be more then honoured if you could come visit me. I kind of need the support right now and would love to meet new people.
  • Reply 124 of 166
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

This

Ah, I see the Swiss Health system is not so full of holes as some equivalents in the west!

Quote:

I am with Sol here...

Several times (even today) I have considered putting you on my ignore list (along with gator/zather) -- because most of your posts are a rambling pro-everything-but-Apple whinge.

Agreed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Then you've probably missed out on several things you didn't know, along with any opportunity to point out anything I said that might not be accurate.

I'm sorry, but when the overall majority of the content that you post is negative, regardless of how polite or well reasoned it is, you don't come off being educational at all but more wanting of attention.

That is the impression that you give me, at least.
  • Reply 125 of 166
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

.... without any prerequisites for age, gender, country, culture, mental or physical health, etc. .....

Agree wih everything except the bolded demographic.

Women avoid these forums -- especially tech forums that seem to be infested, um, shall we say, by types that come as through as socially awkward misogynists that never grew out of their basements -- like the plague.

Also, look at how few women write for tech, despite the fact that writing/journalism is a very woman-friendly profession (and employs a higher proportion of women than most).
  • Reply 126 of 166
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Women avoid these forums -- especially tech forums that seem to be infested, um, shall we say, by types that come as through as socially awkward misogynists that never grew out of their basements -- like the plague.

Also, look at how few women write for tech, despite the fact that writing/journalism is a very woman-friendly profession (and employs a higher proportion of women than most).

Note: I was stating the demographics, but the prerequisite for being a member.

There doesn't seem to be many women but it's not a prerequisite for being a member. There are still plenty of clubs, at least in the US, that are male or female only. Then there are the bars and clubs that require men to be 21+ and women to be only 18+, or worse not allow men in unless they come with a woman.

As an example (because I do know a little about his personal life) Dick and I would likely never have this much interaction in the "real world" as he is a grandfather about twice my age and I'm an international man of mystery (self proclaimed) and yet we have conversations many times a week and have had them for years. I've learned a lot from him, you, and countless others on this forum, and I hope you've all learned from me.

Despite my bellyaching from time to time this place is top notch for a tech forum. Just try having a conversation on MacRumors or Engadget.

PS: Melissa Jenna from iFixit is cute.

PPS: I also like Marina Orlova but that might be the etymologist part of me.

PPPS: http://www.manolith.com/2009/10/12/1...st-geek-girls/
  • Reply 127 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Despite my bellyaching from time to time this place is top notch for a tech forum. Just try having a conversation on MacRumors or Engadget.

There's no such thing as having a conversation at either of those. You come in packing your best insults and hope for the best.
  • Reply 128 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Well... It's not what he said... but the way he said it!
  • Reply 129 of 166
    Quote:

Note: I was stating the demographics, but the prerequisite for being a member.

There doesn't seem to be many women but it's not a prerequisite for being a member. There are still plenty of clubs, at least in the US, that are male or female only. Then there are the bars and clubs that require men to be 21+ and women to be only 18+, or worse not allow men in unless they come with a woman.

As an example (because I do know a little about his personal life) Dick and I would likely never have this much interaction in the "real world" as he is a grandfather about twice my age and I'm an international man of mystery (self proclaimed)

I Nailed it!

Quote:

and yet we have conversations many times a week and have had them for years. I've learned a lot from him, you, and countless others on this forum, and I hope you've all learned from me.

Agree!

Quote:

PS: Melissa Jenna from iFixit is cute.

PPS: I also like Marina Orlova but that might be the etymologist part of me.

PPPS: http://www.manolith.com/2009/10/12/1...st-geek-girls/

Then you'd like this...

I first saw Marina in the above video. The other girl is a web friend (since 2007) named Sheena Melwani...

Maybe, I'm not so old after all... I liberally apply a daily internal preservative

Quote:

Thanks to Marina (HotforWords) for lending some real credibility from a linguistics expert...oh and improving the aesthetic qualities as well. Please visit her page and subscribe for more brain expanding enjoyment!

http://www.youtube.com/hotforwords

The female vocalist is Sheena Melwani, and I was thrilled she agreed to sing on my track! She's the girl with the dark hair, and if you haven't visited and subscribed to her page, please do so! You won't regret it!

http://www.youtube.com/sheenamelwani

Edit: While I do appreciate a good looking woman... it is much more than just looks... It's in their eyes, how they carry/respect themselves... and above all their sense of humor!

• Reply 130 of 166
    Quote:

Edit: While I do appreciate a good looking woman... it is much more than just looks... It's in their eyes, how they carry/respect themselves... and above all their sense of humor!

I love a sense of humour but I hate when they laugh at my penis.
  • Reply 131 of 166
    Quote:

I love a sense of humour but I hate when they laugh at my penis.

That's what magic markers are for Señor Wences
  • Reply 132 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

@Relic

I am with Sol here...

So these two are AI's *new* perenially out-of-touch anti-Apple trolls?

I thought with Tekstud and extremsk8r we've seen everything.

Then again, MacRumors' anti-Apple troll population is just about bursting, so AI might be getting some of their overflow.
  • Reply 133 of 166
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minnesota_Steve View Post

Patents and their implied monopoly stimulate research. Including software research and related patents. Although Mueller is open about his dislike for software patents. His comment about a 20 year monopoly being against the public good for something that would be invented anyways is part of his view, but inconsistent with general practice of patent law. He has his view, but it is irrelevant on this point. I find his reporting and interpretation for the lay person to be first class.

Agreed on all points.
  • Reply 134 of 166
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    My name at the office is the Pitbull. You are in good hands.

Quote:

I have retained TBell as legal counsel. All replies to me should now be addressed to TBell.

• Reply 135 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

My name at the office is the Pitbull. You are in good hands.

It's not because you just look like him?
  • Reply 136 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So these two are AI's *new* perenially out-of-touch anti-Apple trolls?

I thought with Tekstud and extremsk8r we've seen everything.

Then again, MacRumors' anti-Apple troll population is just about bursting, so AI might be getting some of their overflow.

Yeah, MR is kinda' sad... they often have the first posts of interesting articles... but it is just too difficult to wade through the dross (at 25 per page) to carry on an entertaining and intelligent conversation.

I just don't understand the mindset... I doubt that even the most avid Apple fans, here, would go to an Android or Windows forum and post this mindless crap.

We all get upset with Apple, and occasionally vent (at least I do)... but I believe in advocating things I like, discussing things I dislike -- inserting a mock or ridicule now and then... Hey, you learn more by being wrong (and being corrected) than by being right (or unchallanged).

Like, Sol, I learn a lot here and tend to keep abreast of what is happening in the industry in general.

Thanks AI and most of the posters here!

• Reply 137 of 166
    Quote:

It's not because you just look like him?

Now, Those are nice... BTW, Who's the guy singing?
  • Reply 138 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Hey, you learn more by being wrong (and being corrected) than by being right (or unchallanged).

Like, Sol, I learn a lot here and tend to keep abreast of what is happening in the industry in general.

Thanks AI and most of the posters here!

+1

Yet another thing we're in agreement on.
  • Reply 139 of 166
    This is intended as a general round of applause from one of the lurkers to all who sincerely post here. I may not yet have enough accumulated knowledge to enter into a detailed discussion about a great many of the points made here at AI, but I do learn from both the intelligent and not so intelligent postings of others. Thank you all for your participation. It's not often vocalized, but it is appreciated.
  • Reply 140 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottschor View Post

This is intended as a general round of applause from one of the lurkers to all who sincerely post here. I may not yet have enough accumulated knowledge to enter into a detailed discussion about a great many of the points made here at AI, but I do learn from both the intelligent and not so intelligent postings of others. Thank you all for your participation. It's not often vocalized, but it is appreciated.

C'mon in... All sincere discussion is welcome -- a new point of view or perspective is usually treated with the same respect with which it is offered...