European Commission investigating Motorola for suspected patent abuse

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't believe they are consistent in their approach to open standards. A standard on web widgets? Nope, Apple won't contribute their IP to W3C.

http://www.itnewspost.com/apple/web-...idget-patents/

How about a touch standard? No again, Apple's IP is more valuable as a bludgeon.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2011/07/a...-wide-web.html

Well what about the open books standard? Nope, again not in Apple's interest.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-a...tal-books/4378

Unless you meant consistently uncooperative lately. . .

Errr, if you read my post you quoted you will read "open web." I didn't mention any of those other technologies. Apple doesn't have to support any and all standards. But if it supports a standard, I haven't seen any evidence that it revokes its patents and then tries to sue the pants off of people who used them thinking the use of them was already paid for. I wonder who that could be.

As for web widgets? Why exactly does a standard need to be made for those? The internet won't break if there is no standard for a widget. Touch? Maybe. Depends upon what others have to offer. Why make it a standard if you are the only one contributing anything. Digital books? I would like to agree with you except for the fact that no one pushed for it before until Apple made a device that caused consumption of digital books to skyrocket. What were these organizations doing for the last decade?
  • Reply 42 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Errr, if you read my post you quoted you will read "open web." I didn't mention any of those other technologies. Apple doesn't have to support any and all standards. But if it supports a standard, I haven't seen any evidence that it revokes its patents and then tries to sue the pants off of people who used them thinking the use of them was already paid for. I wonder who that could be.

As for web widgets? Why exactly does a standard need to be made for those? The internet won't break if there is no standard for a widget. Touch? Maybe. Depends upon what others have to offer. Why make it a standard if you are the only one contributing anything. Digital books? I would like to agree with you except for the fact that no one pushed for it before until Apple made a device that caused consumption of digital books to skyrocket. What were these organizations doing for the last decade?

Understood. And FWIW I agree the thread has strayed far from it's original intent. I mentioned Apple only in passing with rregard to FRAND problems as a whole, which I should have anticipated would become the focus as well as attract complaints. My apologies.

Back to Motorola and ONLY Motorola...
  • Reply 43 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Stop hijacking the goddamn thread with your FUD bullshit. IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS YOUR ENTIRELY UNSUBSTANTIATED THEORY THAT APPLE IS SUBVERTING WEB STANDARDS, START YOUR OWN THREAD.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Stop hijacking the goddamn thread with your FUD bullshit. IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS YOUR ENTIRELY UNSUBSTANTIATED THEORY THAT APPLE IS SUBVERTING WEB STANDARDS, START YOUR OWN THREAD.

See post 43. I already agreed with you.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

How about a touch standard? No again, Apple's IP is more valuable as a bludgeon.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2011/07/a...-wide-web.html

Why the hell would Apple want an open "touch standard" ?! By your reasoning, Apple should just give away their IP for free to every leach that desires it.

You forget how 'open' the web was before Apple influenced it. Remember the dominance of IE? Flash? etc
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Why the hell would Apple want an open "touch standard" ?! By your reasoning, Apple should just give away their IP for free to every leach that desires it.

You forget how 'open' the web was before Apple influenced it. Remember the dominance of IE? Flash? etc

I'm keeping the rest of my comments to Motorola.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Fair enough.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,922member
    Quote:

I don't know that applies specifically to Apple, nor was that claim made by me. ...

Classic GG, the hit and run when he gets called on his bull.

Is there anyone here who doesn't think he's being paid for this?
  • Reply 49 of 50
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    This will end as fast as it started. Someone is doing a favour for someone else, that is the only reason why this is taken place. Nothing will ever come of it.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,922member
    Quote:

At which point, he apparently had nothing to say.