Apple's iOS, Google's Android grow to 80% of US smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I bet there's an awesome Samsung site that you could excitedly discuss your satisfaction with fellow Galaxy enthusiasts.

The fandroids seem more interested in putting down anyone who doesn't choose the same device as them.

It's perfectly normal for people to come to a fan site to discuss a product they like with people. I don't think I'll ever understand people who go out of their way to go to a site to harp on a product they don't use and are proud to state that they wouldn't be caught dead using.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

http://www.neowin.net/news/iphone-is...zon-and-sprint

iphone is best-selling smartphone at at&t, verizon and sprint

according to data collected by canaccord genuity, the apple iphone line is the best-selling smartphone at at&t, verizon and sprint, the three largest network providers in the usa, and possibly outsells all other smartphones combined at those companies, reports allthingsd.

The data from canaccord genuity examined the sales of individual handset models across the top four wireless network operators in the u.s. From december, 2011 to march, 2012. The iphone line was the leader at all companies except t-mobile usa, where it is not available. At at&t, verizon and sprint, the iphone 4s was the top model in every month between december to march.

"our march checks indicated the iphone continues to extend its market share gains," mike walkley, a canaccord genuity analyst wrote. "in fact, we believe iphones are outselling all other smartphones combined at sprint and at&t and selling at roughly equal volume to all android smartphones at verizon."

informationweek notes that at&t sells more than two dozen smartphone models, some of which have already seen successful sales numbers, such as the samsung galaxy note, htc vivid and samsung galaxy s ii skyrocket. Selling more than those and 20 or so other models combined is an impressive statistic.

apple itself accounted for 80% of the profits in the handset industry during the fourth quarter. Combined with samsung, the two companies' profits accounted for 95% of the entire industry.

"our global checks also indicated another quarter of strong market share gains for samsung, particularly in europe and asia," walkley wrote. "in fact, we believe samsung's strong smartphone portfolio across all price tiers will result in samsung's smartphone shipments increasing a remarkable 15%-plus sequentially during the seasonally weak march quarter."

• Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The fandroids seem more interested in putting down anyone who doesn't choose the same device as them.

It's perfectly normal for people to come to a fan site to discuss a product they like with people. I don't think I'll ever understand people who go out of their way to go to a site to harp on a product they don't use and are proud to state that they wouldn't be caught dead using.

as with anyone or anything, you KNOW you are THE BEST when so many do behave that way. it shows how lame they and the products they think they can brag about are.

need to be given away for free = lame

thus, for the "lame"
  • Reply 44 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

It's something that AI encourages. There's few positive articles on Apple business plans or results that don't also compare Google at the same time. This site actively encourages discussion of the two side by side, sometimes mentioning Google (and occasionally Microsoft) in ways mostly unrelated to the article itself.

AI wants "fandroids" in the forums, otherwise it wouldn't have so many articles and references to Google and/or Android.

There's your explanation.

If you can't tolerate comments from those that disagree with often-questionable statements AI throws out there about competing platforms, perhaps Apple's own forums would be a better match. There you can discuss Apple issues in a generally happy Apple-controlled environment, "fandroid-free" for the most part.

As for AI that's not what they're about. They go out of their way to attract fans of Apple competitors as it's good for visits and eyeballs, which means it's good for raising revenue. At the end of the day AI is here to make money. Keeping it a happy isolated Apple forum free from opposing views won't do it.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's something that AI encourages. There's few positive articles on Apple business plans or results that don't also compare Google at the same time. This site actively encourages discussion of the two side by side, sometimes mentioning Google (and occasionally Microsoft) in ways mostly unrelated to the article itself.

AI wants "fandroids" in the forums, otherwise it wouldn't have so many articles and references to Google and/or Android.

There's your explanation.

If you can't tolerate comments from those that disagree with often-questionable statements AI throws out there about competing platforms, perhaps Apple's own forums would be a better match. There you can discuss Apple issues in a generally happy Apple-controlled environment, "fandroid-free" for the most part.

As for AI that's not what they're about. They go out of their way to attract fans of Apple competitors as it's good for visits and eyeballs, which means it's good for raising revenue. At the end of the day AI is here to make money. Keeping it a happy isolated Apple forum free from opposing views won't do it.

That still doesn't explain why Android fans come here. I've never been to an Android fan site. Couldn't be bothered because I really don't give a shit what they say about Apple, if and when they do say anything about Apple.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That still doesn't explain why Android fans come here. I've never been to an Android fan site. Couldn't be bothered because I really don't give a shit what they say about Apple, if and when they do say anything about Apple.

I suppose AI must have a well-designed successful business strategy to attract them. Speaks more to AI's success in getting their message out than anything IMO.

The far newer Android-centric sites may not as readily recognize that encouraging a little dispute by daily posting of anti-Apple articles might get more attention than simply discussing Android features and news like all the other Android forums. Any anti-Apple article at any site is guaranteed to bring out the faithful attacks.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What's even funnier is that a recent article showed that Google makes 80% of its mobile ad revenue from iOS. The fandroid community was trying to spin it as a victory for Google.

The reality is that Apple is slowly gutting iOS from Google so in the not too distant future Apple will have jettisoned Google services from it and they will be in a position to scratch their heads and wonder where the heck they will get they new mobile revenue.

Android's a joke. A big parking lot of advertising billboards. Such a mess.

fAndroids try to spin every disadvantage as an advantage, it is their modus operandi:

Lack of good Ecosystem = "iPhone is closed"

Lack of privacy and security = "free apps and open source" and "Apple does it too!"

Lack of software updates = "over-the-air software updates" (to get a one year old OS)

Poor battery life = "replaceable battery"

Poor build quality = "replaceable battery" and "iPhone glass cracks" (fact: higher percentage of Android phones are returned due to hardware issues)

Poor user interface = "customizable" and "higher clock speeds with more RAM" (fact: iPhones performance rivals newer competitor's phones)

Software defects = "wait till 'Zabione' is released!"

Task management for reasonable battery life = "superior multi-tasking"

• Reply 48 of 76
    Quote:

That still doesn't explain why Android fans come here. I've never been to an Android fan site.

I think it is fair to assume they are members of Postloop and thus paid to post. Postloop is demonstrably anti-Apple; likely because Apple won't pay them to post on blogs.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:

Deception and derision are the only tools available when reason and rationality favor the opposition. Apple iPhone is demonstrably superior in virtually every aspect of a modern smartphone. Not surprisingly, the Apple iPhone is the archetype of the modern smartphone.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I think it is fair to assume they are members of Postloop and thus paid to post. Postloop is demonstrably anti-Apple; likely because Apple won't pay them to post on blogs.

Post Loop??

EDIT: They say they're an exchange where forum and blog owners can go to pay for posters. I doubt seriously that AI needs to pay to get comments.

http://www.postloop.com/

That's an odd site to be familiar with so can I assume you're a member or have other dealings with them?
  • Reply 51 of 76
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

I suppose AI must have a well-designed successful business strategy to attract them. Speaks more to AI's success in getting their message out than anything IMO.

The far newer Android-centric sites may not as readily recognize that encouraging a little dispute by daily posting of anti-Apple articles might get more attention than simply discussing Android features and news like all the other Android forums. Any anti-Apple article at any site is guaranteed to bring out the faithful attacks.

Hmmm... still didn't get it, eh?!

I'll make it plainer.

You'd have to be a bonehead to be bothered coming onto a site where you have nothing in common with the main body of people and also come onto the site just to attack the people and the product.

I don't think AI has to be too skilled to fish for assholes. They seem to be in abundant supply and ready to take the bait.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Apple iPhone is demonstrably superior is virtually every aspect of a modern smartphone.

"Nuh uh, screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size?"
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:

Hmmm... still didn't get it, eh?!

I'll make it plainer.

You'd have to be a bonehead to be bothered coming onto a site where you have nothing in common with the main body of people and also come onto the site just to attack the people and the product.

I don't think AI has to be too skilled to fish for assholes. They seem to be in abundant supply and ready to take the bait.

IMO it's you that doesn't "get it". It's good you don't depend on a living by hosting a forum. There's no reason for AI to insert Android in nearly every story if they would rather those interested in Android ignored it.

As I said earlier, if you want to avoid users of other OS's and their views, Apple themselves have a very active and informative forum that might be a better match for what you're looking for. AI is going to attract discussion, and it's obviously by design and intent if you pay any attention at all.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I looked at one in a store this afternoon. The screen seems great for a portable web browser. It didn't feel WAY TOO HUGE to hold up to my ear - it fits in the palm of your hand, and landline phones are much bigger. A little big for the pocket tho.

Funny enough its become a real girls phone almost all of my friends have been converted over to the Note. We just put them into our purses so I guess it doesnt feel as big as when the guys have to carry around in their jean pockets.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:

IMO it's you that doesn't "get it". It's good you don't depend on a living by hosting a forum. There's no reason for AI to insert Android in nearly every story if they would rather those interested in Android ignored it.

As I said earlier, if you want to avoid users of other OS's and their views, Apple themselves have a very active and informative forum that might be a better match for what you're looking for. AI is going to attract discussion, and it's obviously by design and intent if you pay any attention at all.

Still not getting it, eh!

As I said, and I can't make it any plainer, you could name Apple more than Android on an Android fan site. You could post more Apple stories than Android stories on an Android fan site. You still won't find me over there making comments. I couldn't be bothered. I may seem like an asshole but I'm not that much of an asshole (or moron or idiot) that I would go out of my way to harass fans from a competing product on their own fan site.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Nuh uh, screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size?"

Just think what will happen, though, if Apple does make a 4 inch iPhone (imho anything larger than 4" is not necessary... ask my Wife).
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:

As I said, and I can't make it any plainer, you could name Apple more than Android on an Android fan site. You could post more Apple stories than Android stories on an Android fan site. You still won't find me over there making comments. I couldn't be bothered. I may seem like an asshole but I'm not that much of an asshole (or moron or idiot) that I would go out of my way to harass fans from a competing product on their own fan site.

And that works out well for you. Some other Apple fans are not quite so reticent about posting their displeasure at any article (or blogger) that doesn't cast Apple in the perfect light.

I still haven't seen your opinion on why AI would have so many Android specific articles if they weren't intended to attract those with an interest in Android. Surely the forum management isn't so clueless as to wonder why fans of some other OS or product would feel compelled to comment, so there must be another explanation. Yours is. . .?
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Nuh uh, screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size screen size…"

Doh, you got me. I bow to the superiority of ... Wait... I often AirPlay content from my iPhone to my 42" television.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:

Meh. I can't begrudge someone from trying to make money posting on forums although I have a lot of these jokers on "ignore."
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:

Meh. I can't begrudge someone from trying to make money posting on forums although I have a lot of these jokers on "ignore."

So again since you've avoided answering so far, have you made use of Post Loop or had other dealings with the company? I thought it unusual you knew about the site unless you've had some experience with them, paid or otherwise.

According to their homepage they offer their services to forum owners and blogger sites that want to appear more successful or "visited" than they might actually be by supplying paid posters for the site. Again repeating, I'd be shocked to find that AI has ever paid them to post responses in the forums. There's no need to with 300K pageviews a day and hundreds of comments. I call FUD.