Cheaper iDevice models driving teen interest

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

The fault is with the parent and not the iPhone.

You failed as a parent that's why she did what she did.

So don't blame the iPhone when it's the parent's fault who can't control her own children.

One more thing who cares.

Um I'm, sorry but f**k you. How many children do you have who just turned 13.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

My 13 year old daughter got her first iPhone for her birthday last month. She really wanted one because all of her friends have one. I had reservations as the iPhone is a very expensive investment for a young teenager. Especially after hearing the horror stories from other parents about their children's spending habits on the iTunes store. So we made my daughter understand that her new iPhone comes with a restriction, she will never get my credit card to purchase apps or music and that she must buy a iTunes card from the grocery store with her allowance if she wants those things.

A month later and I really want to take the thing away from her. She spends most of her allowance on the iPhone leaving little for movies or eating out with her friends. Which means she begs daddy and myself.

My son on the other hand has a Nokia Lumia 800. He wanted it so he could talk with his Xbox buddies. He has many games for it yes but I think we spend only about 30 dollars a month for those. Thank goodness he's not into online music the way my daughter is. My husband gave him his old record collection and we bought a USB record player so he could convert all of those records into MP3's. He's really into collecting old records now which is a fun thing for him dad to do.

The iPhone is a horrible idea for children or young teens, especially now that they sell these damn iTunes cards at the friggen grocery store. Those things aren't as nearly as bad as alcohol and drugs but their pretty damn close. I wish I would have said no to my daughter. One of my friends has a real problem with her 11 year old daughter in that she's stealing money out of her purse for iTunes cards. Well that stopped after they gave their daughter a dumb phone that only makes calls and nothing else.

You should probably learn how to be a better parent, and learning how to say no, because this sounds more like a "you" problem than a widespread one.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Just one example:
    You might want to fact check a little bit before using a superlative.

Not the total device cost you silly goose I was talking about after the kids get their hands on the Apple Store. However now that you brought it up the Galaxy Note cost 540 CHF where as the cheapest Apple 4S cost 650 CHF. We buy our phones outright as it's always cheaper in the long run.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

You should probably learn how to be a better parent, and learning how to say no, because this sounds more like a "you" problem than a widespread one.

We say no all the time but when kids want something they will get it one way or another. We aren't the only ones with these problems which is why I take such offense when people say we aren't parenting our kids correctly. We had a parents and teachers conference with the entire school and it seems every child who has an iPhone is having the same problem, over 240 children in our school alone. We discussed that it would probable be better if they banned such devices from school and possibly have all parents confiscate them from the children. I'm being serious here, the iPhone store has become a real problem in our community now that any child can buy a iTunes card. It's just not the school my kids go to but the entire district and possibly the country is now getting involved. I know there is a new lobby made up of disgruntled parents that are taking their case to the equivalent of your Congress to make smartphones illegal for children under 16.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

The fault is with the parent and not the iPhone.

You failed as a parent that's why she did what she did.

So don't blame the iPhone when it's the parent's fault who can't control her own children.

One more thing who cares.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I find these comment uncalled for. There is no enough evidence to determine one is a bad parent because of the way a child acts unless it's because of rare and extreme actions that have stunted a child's mental capacity.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

@minnesota

<Same problem here with a twelve year old and an iTouch. We had to terminate app store purchases completely. It's quite addictive.>

so is eating. better check your 12 year old's weight.

Its only been a month now that we got her the iPhone. I really want to get rid of it but my husband says she will learn that she can't spend all of her money on one thing. I'm in the hospital right now and our family is kind of in disarray at the moment so I have to rely a lot on my husband. Kind of personal thing but I'm loosing some of my chest on Thursday which means I'll be here a long time. When I get home though I think I will have to have a serious discussion about this.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

@minnesota

<Same problem here with a twelve year old and an iTouch. We had to terminate app store purchases completely. It's quite addictive.>

so is eating. better check your 12 year old's weight.

Un-called for, we aren't talking about Apple not having a miniSD card here but about our children becoming addicted to something.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Un-called for, we aren't talking about Apple not having a miniSD card here but about our children becoming addicted to something.

His comment is exactly the same thing. You and Minnesota are erroneously lumping a physiological chemical dependence in with a behavioral compulsion. Eduzit's comment is spot on.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Its only been a month now that we got her the iPhone. I really want to get rid of it but my husband says she will learn that she can't spend all of her money on one thing. I'm in the hospital right now and our family is kind of in disarray at the moment so I have to rely a lot on my husband. Kind of personal thing but I'm loosing some of my chest on Thursday which means I'll be here a long time. When I get home though I think I will have to have a serious discussion about this.

I hate to say this but it does come down to parenting and taking responsibility as a parent. Apple does a great job with providing the tools necessary for parents to limit a child's device. As a parent, it's your responsibility to moderate it. If your kid's spending all of their allowance on itunes gift cards, then so be it. When you hand over that allowance, it becomes their money. In time, they'll learn to moderate their spending and even start to save, but as a parent you have to enforce the allowance you give. My son gets $10 a week (I got $7 a week when I was his age) and it doesn't include food. Personally, I don't feel that kids should have to spend their allowance on food. If he spends it all and wants to go watch a movie with his friends, too bad.

My 11yr old son has an ipod touch for 2 years now. His purchases are from itunes gift cards only and I've disabled in-app purchases completely. He hasn't presented any problems for me and I doubt any will arise from it. If anything, he's impressed me a lot with his management of his itunes funds. But then again, he also knows that I'm very strict. One mistake and I'll take it away for good. We were all 11 yr olds once, and we all know that we'll push whatever limits we can to get what we want. If whatever it is you're doing as a parent isn't working, perhaps it's time to change your tactics and stop blaming companies like Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

IMO, what would really goose the iPhone numbers for kids -- if the carriers were to offer a family data plan.

Maybe Apple could leverage this to happen.

In our home of 2 adults and 3 teens, we each have an iPhone and an iPad... Though nay the 2 adults iPhones have a SIM and are used as phones.

We just can't justify the monthly data charges for the teens.

I just cant understand why apple isnt selling the 3GS in Europe?!?!

I will NOT buy a 400-500Eur phone for my children untill they are older (and more responsible). Ipphone 3GS would catter to this crowd but no, Apple is not intrested in that market and wants to create a market for sammy and lg and the likes on android....

So Apple is Sammys best pal. It just makes making money so EASY for them. They will stay out of the under 300Eur/dollar market and Sammy can catch that without any kind of market fight. Just make well enough hardware for users with not enough cash for the cutting edge (like the 3GS is now but only selling in the US) and roll in the cash. MS isnt contending yet at this point, just keep the money comming in.... It looks like apple has too much money so they are "occupied" with other things than to catter for the "possible" future customers....
  • Reply 31 of 35
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

My 13 year old daughter got her first iPhone for her birthday last month. She really wanted one because all of her friends have one. I had reservations as the iPhone is a very expensive investment for a young teenager. Especially after hearing the horror stories from other parents about their children's spending habits on the iTunes store. So we made my daughter understand that her new iPhone comes with a restriction, she will never get my credit card to purchase apps or music and that she must buy a iTunes card from the grocery store with her allowance if she wants those things.

A month later and I really want to take the thing away from her. She spends most of her allowance on the iPhone leaving little for movies or eating out with her friends. Which means she begs daddy and myself.

My son on the other hand has a Nokia Lumia 800. He wanted it so he could talk with his Xbox buddies. He has many games for it yes but I think we spend only about 30 dollars a month for those. Thank goodness he's not into online music the way my daughter is. My husband gave him his old record collection and we bought a USB record player so he could convert all of those records into MP3's. He's really into collecting old records now which is a fun thing for him dad to do.

The iPhone is a horrible idea for children or young teens, especially now that they sell these damn iTunes cards at the friggen grocery store. Those things aren't as nearly as bad as alcohol and drugs but their pretty damn close. I wish I would have said no to my daughter. One of my friends has a real problem with her 11 year old daughter in that she's stealing money out of her purse for iTunes cards. Well that stopped after they gave their daughter a dumb phone that only makes calls and nothing else.

ROTFLMAO.

So it's Apple's fault that they have a product which is appealing enough that a teenager wants to spend money on it? Maybe they should sell trash like the Lumia 800 so that no one wants to install apps.

The problem is not with the phone. If it wasn't the phone, your daughter would want to spend money at the record store. Or at the clothing store. Or at the makeup store. Or at a restaurant with friends. Your problem is that you don't like the choices she has made about how she'll spend her money. Either change the rules so that you are in charge or let her make her own decisions. Either way, it's not the phone's fault.

In your friend's case, it's not the phone's problem that the daughter is a thief.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    I like that Apple is starting to keep its previous models available for a lower price. That can only help bring new users to the platform. I have a couple relatives who have been looking at the iPad since it came out ... now that they 3 is out and they can get the 2 for $100 less, they might finally take the leap. I would buy an older model myself in some cases, if the newer model doesn't offer features I need. It's nice to have options.

By the way, I think previous posters are correct that the up-front cost of the handset is not as important as the monthly fees. But most people I talk to aren't grasping that concept. I've asked a few friends why they got an Android instead of an iPhone and they all said, "The iPhone is too expensive." The funny thing is they didn't even do a price check, they just assumed if it's from Apple, it's more expensive. (After experiencing the Android, one broke her contract to switch to an iPhone, and another decided to switch when his contract expires.)
  • Reply 33 of 35
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    HELLO! It's the ridiculously expensive service silly, not the price of the phone! WAKE UP!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I like that Apple is starting to keep its previous models available for a lower price. That can only help bring new users to the platform.

Yes it would if they actually did it worldwide but as the iphone they ARENT doing that!!!

I cant buy an iphone 3GS even if I wanted to... Just saying... Apple is not cattering to first time phone users like children/youngsters
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

Yes it would if they actually did it worldwide but as the iphone they ARENT doing that!!!

I cant buy an iphone 3GS even if I wanted to... Just saying... Apple is not cattering to first time phone users like children/youngsters

Where is here? Do you have subsidized phones? It seems to me that if you are a country where smartphone subsidies aren't common paying $350 for an 8GB iPhone 3GS from 2009 might not seem like a sound purchase.