Samsung launching mobile ad platform to challenge Apple's iAd, Google

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

If only Apple wasn't trying to sell TVs like Samsung.

Who cares, as long as they won't do a copycat stunt like Samesung, they may sell what ever they see fit for. But TV isn't really my thing. So unless Apple comes up with something really groundbreaking. I will not hold my breath.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

But TV isn't really my thing. So unless Apple comes up with something really groundbreaking. I will not hold my breath.

Usually, if it's not groundbreaking, Apple doesn't bother. I don't know if Apple will make a TV. But, if it does, it will not be like anything Samsung (or anyone else) makes today. It will be groundbreaking.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 467member
    When Google moved to acquire Motorola, we all wondered how that would affect the relationship of Google with its other handset carriers. Google made a calculated decision that it could manage the fallout. The problem now is that Samsung is seeing the same data we are about their share of Android phones (and profits) and they are "feeling their oats" to use an old phrase. If Google can try to make money selling handsets on a large scale (as opposed to the occasional Nexus device), why can't Samsung return the favor by getting into the ad space business?

If you think Android is fragmented now, this presents a potential rift that may devolve into a complete platform schism. Android is open source, mostly but getting to call yourself an Android device means you accept Google's terms for distribution. And at the top of the list of those terms of accepting Google's ad network. Amazon already forked Android in the tablet space for the Kindle Fire since they didn't really need or want Google's ads since they are trying to keep people in Amazon content walled garden. The article doesn't mention that Google's network is being replaced here which means you just might be getting even more ads on your Samsung Android phone. Does Google's Android terms allow companion/competing ad networks? And even if they don't, is Samsung's share of Android make it such a big player that they could just declare their own version and split the entire market? Right now, it's working for Amazon.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Usually, if it's not groundbreaking, Apple doesn't bother. I don't know if Apple will make a TV. But, if it does, it will not be like anything Samsung (or anyone else) makes today. It will be groundbreaking.

Quite true for basically all Apple products so far, except maybe the existing AppleTV. So If they just put this device into a big display, I wouldn't consider it as groundbreaking.

Actually I don't believe they would do just that. Nevertheless I have a difficult time to imagine what else they will do about it.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Here we go.

All your ads are belong to us. -Samsung
  • Reply 26 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

You're basing your snark on rumored rumors? How cute.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You're basing your snark on rumored rumors? How cute.

'rumored rumors'?
  • Reply 28 of 50
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Do I get points for predicting in Oct. 2011, that Google will halt active Android development "for any & all device manufacturers" as early as Summer 2012 ?

I do believe I saw this coming and posted here already last summer stating the same.

What with

1) Google purchasing Moto;

2) Amazon forking their own;

3) "The Lawsuit Larry" Affair aka Oracle vs. Google... regardless of whether it's been watered down;

4) ... and the nastiest, most inglorious fact of all...?...

...Google makes 80% of their mobile profits from iOS devices!

I expect a "googly-good" shareholder revolt soon.

To Mr. Schmidt and the Boyz: Karma is a Fish named Sammy... and Steve... and Larry... and Bo(e)zos... and possibly even Wanda?!
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

'rumored rumors'?

Are you rumoring about rumored rumors?
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:

By your logic, then, Apple was copying Samsung by originally selling the iPhone. I've never read of anyone implying that Samsung was copying Apple by virtual of just selling even a touchscreen phone. However, it is clear from numerous sources that Samsung is copying Apple's basic design, its package, its strategy, etc.

That being said, I don't think AdHub is an Apple copy. Samsung is the number one Android vendor and the only one, from what I've seen, that is making a profit. It is the only one selling both large numbers of phones and making money doing it (far less than Apple, but that's another story.)

So. It is now time for Samsung to stretch its wings as well as its talons.

At the risk of mixing metaphors, this is a shot across the bow at Google.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It's been evident for a while that Samsung's success in putting Android on their handsets has convinced them that they're the rightful heirs to Sony and Apple. As such, they won't be content to just sit back and act as a profit conduit for Google.

I expect there will be further announcements from Samsung around their in-house services, and that at least some of those will undercut their relationship to Google. From the way they carry on (and their somewhat problematic relationship to the ideas of intellectual property, authorship and originality), I wouldn't be that surprised if they forked Android enough to declare it "their" OS-- after all, the way they're going, they're going to be the only viable manufacturer of Android hardware, so who's to stop them?

Thing is, Samsung sucks at software, so their hubris may prove to be their downfall. The only thing they've ever been good at is adequate to good hardware. Their in-house UIs are horrible, their quality control variable, and their interoperability a joke. The only thing they have going for them is the ubiquity and mass acceptance of Android as the default "other than Apple" OS. But they don't see it that way, so I guess we'll see how that goes.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Advertising on over 225 milion phones isn't something you can easily dismiss if you are an advertising agency.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

How will this work exactly?

If you use an app on a Samsung phone... you'll get ads served by Samsung.

But if you use that same app on any other Android phone... you get ads served by Google?

I wa wondering the same thing.

The only answer I can think of is that Samsung will have many of thier own apps on their phones, and those apps will serve Samsung ads.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Advertising on over 225 milion phones isn't something you can easily dismiss if you are an advertising agency.

Advertising is something I easily dismiss when I am on my mobile phone and am paying for minutes.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

All they have to do is make cheaper ad-buys for clients... to undercut Google.

Once again... the "race to the bottom"

And that's Google's biggest fear. Forking of Android isn't a big deal for them. They didn't really make an issue of Amazon going their own way with Fire. But taking a bite out of advertising prices would be a disaster.

I think it's going to happen anyway. I've seen some reports that online advertising prices are falling - and I expect that to continue as people are realizing that it's not really that effective. Google may be facing a serious revenue crunch in a few years.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

The wannabe Apple Samesung strikes again.

This probably will hurt google the most. Or will the Samesung/ Android phones be cluttered with googles and Samesungs adds?

No Wonder they need such big displays on their phones.

Hmmm,

Google does mobile ads

THEN Apple does mobile ads

THEN Samsung does mobile ads......and they are copying apple????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

Shouldn't that be they are copying google?

What a dumb thing to say.

Then again, apple did invent invention (US Patent #1) so yeah, maybe you are right
  • Reply 37 of 50
    "OpenX." Very non-descriptive. I don't know what it is, but it must be good because it's "open" like Android
  • Reply 38 of 50
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Their in-house UIs are horrible, their quality control variable, and their interoperability a joke...

Yet, they are the most successful seller of Android handsets and most of their users now associate TouchWiz with Android.

Which doesn't really say a lot for Android.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

If Apple jumped off a cliff do you reckon Samsung would follow?

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYP1Tjgt1Ao
  • Reply 40 of 50
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

If Apple jumped off a cliff do you reckon Samsung would follow?

Seriously, is there no aspect of Apples business they won't try and copy?

Think Apple will ever come up with ideas of their own?

first mp3 player....nope

first smartphone.....nope

first touchscreen phone.....nope

first tablet.......nope

first pvr.......nope

first to do mobile ads......nope

Seems to me that all apple does is wait around to see what other people are doing and then add a rectangle to it, then say that they INVENTED it.