Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android

Comments

• Reply 261 of 291
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yes I know, big reason why I know longer have a iPhone 4, not Divx, it would be nice if Apple would support pretty much every codec like Android but not needed.

Yes, it's a shame you are stuck with exactly what Apple gives you and that you can't augment the functionality of Apple devices. At all.

It's as if they are lacking some sort of store where you could get apps. Perhaps someone clever will suggest it to them.

Quote:

it's very boring and everyone has one.

Yup, having your life ran by what everyone else is or isn't doing isn't boring

Quote:

Plus after using such a large screen with a 1280 x 800 rez I don't think I can ever go back to using such a small screen. Not after what I know.

Er, it's called an iPad? Then again I don't know why I bother - it's obvious that Android mixes better with your needs. Good for you.

Why are you here again?
  • Reply 262 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh, it's not for everyone. Some people don't want to reencode their media to supported formats, and while I don't get why they wouldn't want modern formats, I understand why they wouldn't want to have the hassle of doing it.

There are plenty of ways to play divix on iOS devices - most of them cost money. I can understand how this would be an offensive concept to someone who is looking to play divix encoded media
  • Reply 263 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Really, admins? Really?

Really? Your reading it and then replying? Really?

Quote:

I think I'll stay away from this site until it get properly moderated.

How about self moderating instead of waiting for others to do your thinking for you?

It's fast, free and immediate! It feels good too!
  • Reply 264 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

You'll be surprised how often that factors into purchasing decisions, especially in luxury goods.

Yup, and I'd hope you woldn't be surprised a how statistically insignificant the "not buying because everyone else has one" is in comparison to "buying because it's popular"
  • Reply 265 of 291
    Quote:

Yes I am running a custom rom of my own doing.

Congratulations. You are a fraction of a fraction.

Your arguing against Budwiser by brewing your own beer in your basement.

Good luck with that.
  • Reply 266 of 291
    Quote:

I gave a lot of legitimate reasons why I dumped my iPhone but being unique is also a big motivator for a lot of people.

Sure. Like driving a Prius. Can enable you to feel smug and superior without having to actually do anything meaningful!
  • Reply 267 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

There are plenty of ways to play divix on iOS devices - most of them cost money. I can understand how this would be an offensive concept to someone who is looking to play divix encoded media

I don't see how that'd be a problem for them. They'd just jailbreak and pirate the apps needed to do it.
  • Reply 268 of 291
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

And from what perspective is all this "viewing"? Apple haters that would never buy an Apple device in the first place?

Ooh - I'll bet Apple is quaking in their boots.

Let's leave the land of fantasy and enter reality. If Apple wishes to keep their IP, they have to defend it. They also have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to defend their IP. All your other touchy-feely crap is just that - crap.

Er, Schmidt was on the Apple board and Jobs and Schmidt were even saw talking in public. Nice for you to assume Apple is shooting first and asking question later

You could always say it's far cheaper to steal than develop your own IP. Especially when your competitor is probably a good decade ahead of you and you have no hope of naturally catching up. Gambling with the lawyers for that last hail-mary isn't that much of a stretch when your facing complete irrelevancy in the largest opportunity since the original personal computer.

That's because you don't see any value in what Apple brought to the table. Color me shocked!

For Android manufacturers! Why figure hard stuff out when you can either just steal it or bully someone into licensing it to you.

What a grim and uninspired world yours would be...

And I think I'm glad that you are no where in the decision tree for Apple strategy and that Apple is doing just fine picking their battles.

The reason you see all the posturing is because this is literally the fight for the largest new market since the personal computer - one that will be even bigger!

Let's just say that you missed my point entirely... by a mile.

No use arguing with you, though, you live in the land of fantasy that says that Apple has already won this fight in the courtroom. It aint Apple's ip until the court says it's Apple's ip. I am slightly curious, though, as to what you consider a big win for Apple.

Me? I live in a land of reality that says that Apple could still lose. As a matter of fact, Apple could even have an injunction placed against it to stop selling certain products in certain places. Oh, wait... that already happened. Oh no... Apple certainly couldn't be using somebody else's ip!

Give me a break, Skippy... all your ranting means nothing until all of the court cases comes to an end.

[Isn't this where I say I'm an Apple fan and that I've been buying Apple gear for over 30 years.]
  • Reply 269 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm inclined to think Larry Page is delusional to think Steve didn't mind the rip off!

What else is he gonna say?
  • Reply 270 of 291
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, and I've said it before, I think some of these guys are paid by AI to get up the click count.

Its been interesting here, I read some of the longer threads and find interesting members of the Mac community from all perspectives. Island, you are one of my favorites, along with ragosta, addabox and flaneur.

Too many garbage threads now. I'm going to lurk on some other apple news and rumor sites, I'll check back in in a couple months. I don't know if two mods are on vacation or what happened to this site, but seeing island get slapped with infractions for what he wrote is just maddening.

Oh, and you need to get your shit typist a better keyboard, or figure out why he can't type an ampersand. It's getting old seeing ATamp;mp T over and over in really poorly edited 'reports'.

Agony to read, so,

Bye.
  • Reply 271 of 291
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Sure. Like driving a Prius. Can enable you to feel smug and superior without having to actually do anything meaningful!

• Reply 272 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

you live in the land of fantasy that says that Apple has already won this fight in the courtroom. It aint Apple's ip until the court says it's Apple's ip.

Or someone blinks first.

Quote:

I am slightly curious, though, as to what you consider a big win for Apple.

I dunno, Android has shot itself in the foot to the point where if Apple were to settle for a per unit license such as Microsoft is getting that would probably be sufficient.

Quote:

Me? I live in a land of reality that says that Apple could still lose.

Sure - anything is possible. The cubs may win the series too!

Quote:

As a matter of fact, Apple could even have an injunction placed against it to stop selling certain products in certain places.

In the international version of the east Texas court...

Quote:

Give me a break, Skippy... all your ranting means nothing until all of the court cases comes to an end.

Or someone blinks first. There's nothing that says they have to go to a full end.

Quote:

[Isn't this where I say I'm an Apple fan and that I've been buying Apple gear for over 30 years.]

You could but it wouldn't matter in the least.

We do agree on one thing - it's not over just yet!
  • Reply 273 of 291
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

October 5th, 2011 the human race took one step closer to being better.

You really are a nasty piece of shit aren't you. parent my ass...
  • Reply 274 of 291
    I can totally understand Jobs.
  • Reply 275 of 291
    Apple fans are delusional. If you guys didn't know, Apple's iOS 5 or 5.1 (I know for sure 5.1 has this) stole the idea of having a camera short-cut from the lockscreen as most Android phones (previously Apple only had an option of slide-to-unlock for years and years). And of course they took the status bar notification by sliding down from top screen of Android as well. Lets see when Apple will add features like Face unlock, widgets, live wallpapers, time lapse, and panorama mode within camera settings (not a first for cameras, pretty sure a first for either Android or iOS). So sure, if Android is copying from Apple's iOS, well iOS is doing the same thing so quit whining!
  • Reply 276 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Apple fans are delusional. If you guys didn't know, Apple's iOS 5 or 5.1 (I know for sure 5.1 has this) stole the idea of having a camera short-cut from the lockscreen as most Android phones (previously Apple only had an option of slide-to-unlock for years and years). And of course they took the status bar notification from Android as well. Lets see when Apple will add features like Face unlock, widgets, live wallpapers, time lapse, and panorama mode within camera settings (not a first for cameras, pretty sure a first for either Android or iOS). So sure, if Android is copying from Apple's iOS, well iOS is doing the same thing so quit whining!

1) I don't think Android OS was the first to have the camera button on the lock screen.

2) I know Android OS was not the first to have a notifications. bar.

3) The other items are too stupid to comment further, including how you've only mentioned superficial aspects and haven't referred to a single patent.
  • Reply 277 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I don't think Android OS was the first to have the camera button on the lock screen.

2) I know Android OS was not the first to have a notifications. bar.

3) The other items are too stupid to comment further, including how you've only mentioned superficial aspects and haven't referred to a single patent.

I'm only comparing Android and iOS as far as "copying" is concerned. I'm not into legal crap like patents and stuff, just saying what I see between the two OS's because you guys seem to talk so highly of Apple when I see nothing of interest from a boring, 5 or 6 year old OS that hardly ever change (just look at the home screen for God's sake!). Apple's UI is so boring, yes it is simple to use, but because of simplicity, you're limited in what you can do as compared to Android, adding new features and extended options after each major update (see ICS 4.0). Yes, Apple's iOS is smooth as butter, I give them that. But really, I think one of the major reason why Android seems to lag in performance is the graphical UI's it has to process during user interactions, etc. Apple on the other hand is simple UI, doesn't take a genius to figure that out that it demands less processing power, therefore makes it a smoother user experience? Does that make sense?

I haven't used any other OS besides Android and iOS so no, I don't know who came up with the slide down notification before Android, but I know for sure it wasn't Apple. As far as the camera shortcut from the lockscreen, same thing, Android had that (between the two OS's) well before Apple did, and that is fact.
  • Reply 278 of 291
    Quote:

I'm only comparing Android and iOS as far as "copying" is concerned. I'm not into legal crap like patents and stuff,

If you're not into "legal crap" than you can't make a sound judgement on what you think has been "copied" because legality is the only metric that is worth discussing.

It's like if I said that other phones can't use Gorilla Glass simply because Apple was first to use it. It's just ridiculous on the face of it.

Quote:

I see nothing of interest from a boring, 5 or 6 year old OS that hardly ever change (just look at the home screen for God's sake!). Apple's UI is so boring, yes it is simple to use, but because of simplicity, you're limited in what you can do as compared to Android, adding new features and extended options after each major update (see ICS 4.0).

You're entitled to your opinion, no reasonable person will begrudge you of that, but iOS works because it's familiar. You can move from iPhone to iPhone or to the iPad and have an idea of how to use the device. You simply can't do that from different versions of Android OS, much less different UIs vendors add. Hell, you can't even get a consistent back button interaction with Android which I founds to be so annoying that it in itself was a a deal killer.

Bottom line: You can't think of what you only want when you consider a market.

Quote:

But really, I think one of the major reason why Android seems to lag in performance is the graphical UI's it has to process during user interactions, etc. Apple on the other hand is simple UI, doesn't take a genius to figure that out that it demands less processing power, therefore makes it a smoother user experience? Does that make sense?

1) That is one of many reasons that iOS is much smoother with a slower CPU. Note that WinPh is smooth like butter on a single-core CPU with dynamically updating tiles.

2) What doesn't make sense is how you trumpeting silly features and then saying that the reason that Android OS isn't smooth.

Quote:

I haven't used any other OS besides Android and iOS so no, I don't know who came up with the slide down notification before Android, but I know for sure it wasn't Apple. As far as the camera shortcut from the lockscreen, same thing, Android had that (between the two OS's) well before Apple did, and that is fact.

How are you so sure it wasn't Apple if those are the only two OSes you've used? You do know that Apple was founded before 2007, right?
  • Reply 279 of 291
    Quote:

If you're not into "legal crap" than you can't make a sound judgement on what you think has been "copied" because legality is the only metric that is worth discussing.

It's like if I said that other phones can't use Gorilla Glass simply because Apple was first to use it. It's just ridiculous on the face of it.

We're on the topic of Steve Jobs accusing Android as a stolen product. That's why I'm comparing the two OS', trying to point out the obvious copycat that Apple is doing in their OS. If Google doesn't hold the patents to those features in Android, then I guess both Android and iOS stole ideas from someone else then.

You bringing up other phones can't use Gorilla Glass on their phone because Apple is using it is silly because it is not a matter of stolen ideas or patent because it is licensed out to these manufacturers to use on their phones, therefore it is a paid licensed and not outright a stolen idea from either Apple or Google.

Quote:

You're entitled to your opinion, no reasonable person will begrudge you of that, but iOS works because it's familiar. You can move from iPhone to iPhone or to the iPad and have an idea of how to use the device. You simply can't do that from different versions of Android OS, much less different UIs vendors add. Hell, you can't even get a consistent back button interaction with Android which I founds to be so annoying that it in itself was a a deal killer.

I'm not disagreeing with you on keeping things familiar and easier to use for the consumers. I just hate the fact that Apple does it in such an obvious way that Apple "users" are so blind to see that there is really nothing much different from an iPhone 4 to the 4s? Upgrade to hardware and adding a little here and there as a "major" update in iOS and basically reselling the same damn phone to people and they still go out and buy every single "new" product that Apple releases. Same with the "new" iPad, all I see is a new display and hardware update, the rest is not even something that should justify buying a whole new tablet for. But still, people are stupid enough to own an iPad 1, 2, and 3 because that's just how people are, stupid because they just need to have everything Apple.

That is why Android is so open, unlike iOS where it's the same because you don't really have an option of what phone you want, you just have one phone, one design with different hard drive space. Whereas with Android, you have a variety of phones to choose from that fit your needs, and different style layout as far as UI is concerned that make you stand out from the crowd. Unlike iPhones, everywhere you go, someone has one in their hand, set on the table, or talking on one. So when you want to talk about phones, there is not much to talk about because the person across from you has the same exact phone as you, same features, nothing more, nothing less. That is why I like Android because there is that option of being different from the same old iPhone user. But like you said, I have my opinion and you have yours and so does others. That is just my two cents and you should be able to agree with it because that is fact.

What is wrong with the back button on an Android phone that you're complaining about? Give an example?

Quote:

1) That is one of many reasons that iOS is much smoother with a slower CPU. Note that WinPh is smooth like butter on a single-core CPU with dynamically updating tiles.

2) What doesn't make sense is how you trumpeting silly features and then saying that the reason that Android OS isn't smooth.

I don't even want to talk about WP right now, WP isn't even that great to begin with. As far as the dynamically updating of tiles, not worth mentioning because if Android had tiles, it would run just as smooth because tiles are so one dimensional that doesn't take much to process unlike, say HTC's Sense, and other things going on in the background like Live wallpapers (if enabled).

Quote:

How are you so sure it wasn't Apple if those are the only two OSes you've used? You do know that Apple was founded before 2007, right?

I am referring to the iPhone being released in 2007, and the iOS that was on that phone thereafter.
  • Reply 280 of 291
    Quote:

We're on the topic of Steve Jobs accusing Android as a stolen product. That's why I'm comparing the two OS', trying to point out the obvious copycat that Apple is doing in their OS. If Google doesn't hold the patents to those features in Android, then I guess both Android and iOS stole ideas from someone else then.

Why don't you establish what Steve accused Android of stealing first, before saying that Android is not a stolen product. You've made some very weak and superficial claims that don't prove there is no code in Android that was stolen from others. What about Java?

Quote:

I am referring to the iPhone being released in 2007, and the iOS that was on that phone thereafter.

Right, it's not fair to think that Apple existed before the iPhone.