Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android

Comments

• Reply 141 of 291
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Some of these posts have lead me to add someone to my ignore list for the first time.

• Reply 142 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Hmmm, denying paternity -vs- parenting style choice? Yeah, they compare /s

I teach my kids to call a spade a spade, honesty goes along way. Or I guess by your rational I could just deny they are mine, that would be better.

Setting a bad example is now a "parenting style choice"?
  • Reply 143 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I make a simple post about a guy living in his parent's basement and the mods are all over it.

On the other hand some twit can come on here and disparage Steve Job's death in several posts and the mods just let it continue.

I'd like to think that the majority of the members would find disparaging Steve's death is at least on the same level as saying some guy lives in his parent's basement, and deserves some reprimand.

... and at the very least very very off topic for a number of posts.

... but apparently the mods think not.

Mod fail, imho.

I'm going on record to say that I adamantly oppose it, but that's me.
  • Reply 144 of 291
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Setting a bad example is now a "parenting style choice"?

Bad is your opinion. Telling the truth and holding people responsible (alive or dead) in my house hold is a good thing, obviously in your house hold you prefer different. Now to deny ones own paternity to a child, lie in court about it and force the child's mother onto welfare, I consider bad and inexcusable, you apparently do not. I now see why you so diligently defend Steve'o.
  • Reply 145 of 291
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you have no interest in protecting your IP then you shouldn't bother with patents (trademarks or copyrights). Just open source everything and let all your patent lawyers go. But that simply isn't how it works.

Apple and Jobs knew this would happen. It's happened before and it'll happen again. When you create something that changes the world there are going to be copycats... it's why we have all these legal protections in place. They might not have known to the extent Google, Samsung, et al. would blatantly rip off their IP, but that's the game, and they knew that the path to success they created would make it easier for others to mimic their efforts without all the R&D.

Think about how the clovis point changed the world. The technology was rapidly adopted as new people came across the new, and dramatically better style of blade. It's not as easy to make as previous points but it was vastly superior that for those that were introduced to it it became the only viable option. The iPhone did that to the smartphone world in HW, SW, ecosystem, services, and usability. Remember how the physical keyboard was required for anything other than a toy?

Samsung took a huge gamble with their blatantly copying and as a result they are the most profitable vendor using Android. Does that mean others should have stolen from Apple? It sure seems like it based on their inability to turn a profit. Will Samsung be forced to pay a huge fine? I think that is likely, but will they be better off than they would have been without using Apple's IP to get products on the market? I think that is also likely.

We can talk of ethics but in business that comes down to one thing: cost. Within the cost of being unethical there are two primary considerations. One, how a court or out-of-court settlement might affect your ability to profit from the theft. (The legal fees are pocket change to corporations so that isn't even a consideration.) Two, how the public might view your brand after it knows or your unethical actions. To wit, could it inhibit your long term ability to selll to customers?

When you're the underdog you have little to lose (or potentially nothing) and a lot to gain. Right or wrong, isn't even a factor here, it is about the ends justifying the means.

I don't think I was saying otherwise. Not even close to it.

Microsoft is getting $$$ for licensing ip to Android vendors. As it is, Apple, for the most part, is getting nothing except a big legal bill.

There is nothing that says Apple will win. That is all up in the air.

As far as how people view your brand... Apple could be viewed as an aggressor by defending its ip so aggressively and then, if Apple was to lose, then Apple could be viewed as a loser. [Apple should have, imo, just sat down at the table with the Android crew and worked out a deal... by not doing that then you get what we have today... courtroom battles galore. Of course the Android vendors are going to fight like hell against Apple... as you said, lawyers are cheap in comparison. Make a deal then most likely you avoid the fight to the death.]

When I look at all of these court cases I don't see a big win anywhere for Apple. Had Apple made Android license the ip in the first place... that, to me, would have been a big win.

As I said before... I didn't say that Apple should open up its labs, but I do think that Apple has to do better at picking its battles.
  • Reply 146 of 291
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    [QUOTE=Jessi;2089514]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Google cheated because they lack the ..... capacity... to do the right thing.

Now they will pay for it, as they deserve.

Pay for it how? Google are going to get away with this from the looks of it. Android is a bigger threat to itself than any lawsuits.

I do wonder though. Apple are going full pelt to protect their iOS IP but aren't suing all the Macbook Pro clone makers - what gives?
  • Reply 147 of 291
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Because of confirmation bias.

Yes DrDroop, you have finally seen your reflection in your own mirror.

Now, was that so painful?
  • Reply 148 of 291
    Quote:

Bad is your opinion. Telling the truth and holding people responsible (alive or dead) in my house hold is a good thing, obviously in your house hold you prefer different. Now to deny ones own paternity to a child, lie in court about it and force the child's mother onto welfare, I consider bad and inexcusable, you apparently do not. I now see why you so diligently defend Steve'o.

Bullies like yourself always rationalize as to why they are being a dick.
  • Reply 149 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Bullies like yourself always rationalize as to why they are being a dick.

So holding a person responsible is bad????? Telling the truth is bad??????
  • Reply 150 of 291
    iccguyiccguy Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

Some of these posts have lead me to add someone to my ignore list for the first time.

I just did the same .. bye bye Hellacool. You have the honor of being the only person on my ignore list! And the best thing is ... I won't even be able to see any ignorant response you might have to my message!
  • Reply 151 of 291
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Yes DrDroop, you have finally seen your reflection in your own mirror.

Now, was that so painful?

I consider nothing that is human alien to me.

I doubt you'd understand that though, seeing how you can't even spell my name correctly.
  • Reply 152 of 291
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

So holding a person responsible is bad????? Telling the truth is bad??????

No, you're bad.

Welcome to my ignore list... for ignor-amuses.
  • Reply 153 of 291
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    This place is beginning to be like MacRumor.
  • Reply 154 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Biographer Walter Isaacson has disputed Google CEO Larry Page's assertion that Steve Jobs only said disparaging remarks about its Android mobile operating system to rally his own employees.

Page's comments came from an interview this week in which he said he believed Jobs's hatred of Android was merely "for show." The Google CEO suggested that the comments from Jobs served the best interests of Apple in giving its employees something to fight against.

What he meant was that SJ hated Android fo sho. The interviewer just misunderstood.
  • Reply 155 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

No, you're bad.

Welcome to my ignore list... for ignor-amuses.

You present the truth and people run and hide.
  • Reply 156 of 291
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Personally, I think Google is run by a bunch of rich, ego-based childish mentality that is more interested in "everything for free", an awfully designed web site, really uninspiring presentations while they sell ads.

That's called innovashun.
  • Reply 157 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleistheway View Post

I will personally work to educate others about Apple's iOS versus Android so that there are fewer people like you around and so that people choose to reward the companies that truly innovate and create something wonderful (as opposed to repackage an idea with a couple new tricks and call it their own=Google's Android).

Wow. How does Apple attract so many of this type of person?

P.S. Is Apple also the truth and the light?
  • Reply 158 of 291
    Quote:

No bragging, simply pointing out that Steve'o is a despicable human being,

But you have to give him credit for being a great CEO. I'm not sure that anyone else was even in his league.

He knew how to turn a buck. You've got to admit that much.
  • Reply 159 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

But you have to give him credit for being a great CEO. I'm not sure that anyone else was even in his league.

He knew how to turn a buck. You've got to admit that much.

I do, he gets credit but coming from a dead beat dad and having two step kids with a dead beat dad I can not over look it, will not over look it and will quickly point it out when people think this guy walked on water.
  • Reply 160 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

Do you have ANY information as to WHY he refused (if he did) to assume paternity of that child?

He sincerely believed that he was infertile.

/s