Google rumored to launch sub-$250 7-inch tablet in July

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

If Android loses momentum and an Android user decides to switch. Which platform would that person most likely switch to? Apple or Microsoft? Personally, I think the majority will most likely switch to Apple since the two platforms are very similar in appearance, Metro has too many mixed reviews. Plus, Apple has the most apps 500,000 and counting than Windows 70,000 and counting.

Depends. A significant number of Android purchasers are simply anti-Apple and would probably migrate to Windows Mobile. I would hate to guess how large that portion is.
  • Reply 82 of 121
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Perhaps if it was Apple or Amazon, but not in Google's case. They're audited by an independent 3rd party under the direction of the FTC, assuring they keep to the requirements and obligations under their stated privacy policy. It prohibits what you're worried about happening and audited yearly to be sure it doesn't.

All I'll say is that you're far more trusting than I, and the oversight does expire.

Even with legislation, many companies, Google included, continue to skirt on the edge of what's legal, let alone what's "moral". It may not even all be "on purpose", but that only enhances my point.

Google is in a position right now, where it makes sense financially and strategically for them to be an aggregator of personal data (at unprecedented levels) from many sources, and a private disaggregator. I don't see them selling this data in any large way in the near future, as it would hurt their competitive advantage.

But at the end of the day, the amount of personal data that they have access to and can assemble is something that no single party or organization should ever have. Ever. It isn't that Google is an evil company, it's that the potential for misuse and abuse is unfathomable. They've already been hacked by the Chinese gov, and you can imagine how that went down for many of their citizens. That's the tip of the iceberg.
  • Reply 83 of 121
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I already have two iPads. I guess I'm that I'm not their target customer, which is somebody who's looking for a tiny, shitty, inferior performing tablet, running the worst mobile OS in the universe.

Worst mobile OS in the universe, oh my gosh a little melodramatic aren't we. I'm now running full Linux applications on my Android tablet and I can actually get real work done. With the new Linux kernel now supporting Android it's only going to be a matter of time till we have the ultimate mobile OS. As a programmer I really wish you could see Android threw my eyes, it's a playground of possibilities. I finally have the light weight Linux OS I've been looking for. Did you know you can install Netbeans or Eclipse on a Android tablet. I now have a C++ compiler installed for goodness sakes.

I'm now holding both my new iPad and my Galaxy 7.7" and for the life of me I can't figure out why people on this forum hates this OS so much. You can do so much more with a Android tablet it's ridiculous. I like my iPad for one reason only, the applications, that's it. The OS has absolutely no advanced features unless you Jail break it, even then it still can't hold a candle to what I can do on my Android tablets. It is a phone OS not a tablet OS.

As a consumer user who just want's something simple and elegant I can see the iPad's appeal but if your a pro user or especially a programmer the I'm sorry Android 4.03 all the way.
  • Reply 84 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Depends. A significant number of Android purchasers are simply anti-Apple and would probably migrate to Windows Mobile. I would hate to guess how large that portion is.

Oh get off it, there is no Android vs. Apple conflict. People buy phones according to price first, functionally second and how it looks third. I hope more people migrate to Windows Mobile as it is a wonderful OS and I would hate for it to disappear. If there was a group of people who are anti-Apple then it would be extremely small. I think some of you guys need this fantasy conflict to make you feel like some sort of minority group that is being persecuted. The fact is you are the majority, Apple has won the market , enjoy the victory.
  • Reply 85 of 121
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

People buy phones according to price first, functionally second and how it looks third.

So you bought your Note based on price?
  • Reply 86 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So you bought your Note based on price?

The Galaxy Note now costs 540 US dollars vs. the 720 US dollars the iPhone commands here in Switzerland. That is an incredible price for what you get but no I received my Note threw work. They replaced our Blackberry's with them. I actually would have never bought a Note if wasn't for that. I even thought it was ridiculous when I had it my hands but after using it for a night I now think it is one of the best phones for business on the market.

I think you were trying to tell me that the Galaxy Note is very expensive in the States. That is AT&T's doing I even think that version of the Note isn't really a Note. The CPU doesn't hold a candle to the international version and it's filled with crap ware from the provider. I always recommend buying the unlocked original version, it's always cheaper in the long wrong.

I really wanted to buy the white Nokia N9 with 64GB last year but the price they wanted for was beyond that I wanted to pay. So yes price is always number one unless your very wealthy. I finally got my white Nokia N9 just last month but at half the price. What an amazing phone she is but that is for another day.
  • Reply 87 of 121
    I know a lot of you shun the idea of a 250 dollar tablet from Google but I think it's the start of Google finally realizing that if they want their dream of making the perfect tablet come true they are going to have to do it themselves. These manufactures are destroying the Android platform with all of these stupid customization.

If company's would just focus on the hardware side and leave the OS alone there wouldn't be this fragmentation problem.

The one negative thought that every reviewer has with Android is with the company's custom shells, everyone of them is bad, unbelievable bad.
  • Reply 88 of 121
    Quote:

The Galaxy Note now costs 540 US dollars vs. the 720 US dollars the iPhone commands here in Switzerland. That is an incredible price for what you get but no I received my Note threw work. They replaced our Blackberry's with them. I actually would have never bought a Note if wasn't for that. I even thought it was ridiculous when I had it my hands but after using it for a night I now think it is one of the best phones for business on the market.

I think you were trying to tell me that the Galaxy Note is very expensive in the States. That is AT&T's doing I even think that version of the Note isn't really a Note. The CPU doesn't hold a candle to the international version and it's filled with crap ware from the provider. I always recommend buying the unlocked original version, it's always cheaper in the long wrong.

I really wanted to buy the white Nokia N9 with 64GB last year but the price they wanted for was beyond that I wanted to pay. So yes price is always number one unless your very wealthy. I finally got my white Nokia N9 just last month but at half the price. What an amazing phone she is but that is for another day.

I don't think price is #1. To you, maybe, but for the majority of iPhone buyers I would say that functionality would be #1. As you pointed out... the iPhone is expensive and yet Apple still sells millions of them. If price was the first consideration then people wouldn't buy an iPhone... you said it yourself. Besides... I would imagine that your office didn't buy Notes because they are the lowest priced phone on the market. Functionality would be my guess. I mean, we are just guessing, right.
  • Reply 89 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Oh get off it, there is no Android vs. Apple conflict.

Baloney. With over 1700 posts, you know better.

All you have to do is read the threads here to see that there are people who absolutely refuse to buy an Apple product - no matter how good it is - just because it's from Apple. And reading articles and blogs elsewhere, it's clear that it's not just AI where those people hang out.
  • Reply 90 of 121
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    In regards to a smaller iPad:

We know Steve wouldn't do it. This usually means one of two things; either it's a stupid idea (which, considering the not-entirely-irrelevant 7-inch device sales, doesn't look hugely likely at this point), or the technology wasn't there to do it credit.

So, on that note, what technology?

Edge-to-edge screen would need some extra work on multi-touch to block out unintentional touches... this has been done with trackpads, and some iOS apps exhibit interesting behaviour in regards to multiple touches, being able to hold down a button, which when released performs an action, whilst flicking through a list with another finger... and it remembers which one is which. Ignoring gripping hands would be great for a little iPad, as would a decreased footprint (?) to screen-size ratio.

What we're looking at here is the paperback to the iPad's hardback, the pocketbook to the iPad's magazine... but what's the "killer app"? Is it an iPod, an iPad, or (heaven forbid) an iPhone? What's the aspect-ratio? Developers? 3... "4G"? Home button?

Looks like there'll be time for much rampant speculation
  • Reply 91 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Biased much?

Yes and he is a troll too.
  • Reply 92 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Google Schmoogle. I don't take Google seriously on any level when it comes to anything. It is a flawed business model. They don't have much experience with putting out Operating Systems and hardware so they'll learn very quickly to get out of that industry and to STAY out.

So what multi billion dollar company are you running?
  • Reply 93 of 121
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It will be interesting to see what they come up with. They certainly have the server-side infrastructure to support come cool apps.
  • Reply 94 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Yes and he is a troll too.

Can one be a pro-Apple troll on a pro-Apple forum?
  • Reply 95 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If he's not making an attempt at a cogent argument and instead is intentionally trying to roil the seas with personal attacks, insults or wild unsubstantiated claims then yeah I think he could be acting trollish.
  • Reply 96 of 121
    Quote:

I think it would be fairly difficult to be too pro Apple on an Apple forum. The only people that would get really upset are the people who, for the most part, shouldn't be here in the first place.
  • Reply 97 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

If he's not making an attempt at a cogent argument and instead is intentionally trying to roil the seas with personal attacks, insults or wild unsubstantiated claims then yeah I think he could be acting trollish.

Yes, that's a valid point. I've seen something like that a few times from him, but it's almost always directed outward from the forums, so it falls within our current rules.

Quote:

I think it would be fairly difficult to be too pro Apple on an Apple forum. The only people that would get really upset are the people who, for the most part, shouldn't be here in the first place.

Also valid.
  • Reply 98 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Agreed that, for the most part, it's hard to be too pro-Apple on an Apple fan site (is that what AI wants this forum to be??), but not impossible. There's a particularly pro-Apple ][, oops meant too, that has made it to several ignore lists for his wide-cast attention-getting posts that some other pro-Apple members find just too much even for them.
  • Reply 99 of 121
    Quote:

Agreed that, for the most part, it's hard to be too pro-Apple on an Apple fan site (is that what AI wants this forum to be??), but not impossible. There's a particularly pro-Apple ][, oops meant too, that has made it to several ignore lists for his wide-cast attention-getting posts that some other pro-Apple members find just too much even for them.

I don't think it's the "too pro Apple" part of his/her posts that get him on the ignore lists... but I can also guess that most of the people who have put him/her there are not pro Apple.
  • Reply 100 of 121
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

If you're excessively for the topic of a site then it's hard to imagine how one can be an internet troll on that subject since a troll is "someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response."

Quote:

Apple][ easily crosses that line of being too pro-Apple. It's not that his pro-Apple it's that never seems to be objective about his reasoning. But that's beside the point, we do see a lot more anti-Apple posters who sign up just to incite the forum members. That's trolling.

edit: Fuck! Gatorguy and I are in agreement again. Note to self, get head examined on Monday.