Universal Pictures now available to re-download on Apple's iCloud

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You'll notice I'm not talking about that.

Please explain how we are legally entitled to a product or use of a product that was not paid for.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Please explain how we are legally entitled to a product or use of a product that was not paid for.

You're not. But fortunately, again, I'm not talking about piracy.

Ownership of a video entitles you to a backup of said video by definition of ownership. You don't have to pay extra to get the "digital copy". As breaking disc DRM on legally-owned discs is presently illegal, you need to get said copy in other ways.

None of which have to involve paying extra for something you are already entitled to have.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:

You're not. But fortunately, again, I'm not talking about piracy.

Ownership of a video entitles you to a backup of said video by definition of ownership. You don't have to pay extra to get the "digital copy". As breaking disc DRM on legally-owned discs is presently illegal, you need to get said copy in other ways.

None of which have to involve paying extra for something you are already entitled to have.

Please... Making a backup copy and converting a DVD or Blu to a different format for use on different mediums and platforms are completely different things.

Distributing software within the U.S. that has the capability to copy a DVD or Blu-ray is not legal. I do not think there has been a challenge beyond that other than copying for distribution.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Please... Making a backup copy and converting a DVD or Blu to a different format for use on different mediums and platforms are completely different things.

Distributing software within the U.S. that has the capability to copy a DVD or Blu-ray is not legal. I do not think there has been a challenge beyond that other than copying for distribution.

Honestly, are you just ignoring the actual argument here on purpose, or do you really not known what we're talking about? You have to narrow your focus. We're talking about the legal ability to have a backup copy of media you own. Not any specific way to do it.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:

Honestly, are you just ignoring the actual argument here on purpose, or do you really not known what we're talking about? You have to narrow your focus. We're talking about the legal ability to have a backup copy of media you own. Not any specific way to do it.

My focus is "Digital Copy" as it relates to iTunes and Blu-ray which means something very specific. The post you replied to asked if all Blus came with Digital Copy. It's not me who is ignoring what "Digital Copy" IS or making an attempt to expand the definition. You're the only one making an argument that "Digital Copy" is a method of backup.

What Blu-ray owner considers an iTunes version (or Ultraviolet for that matter) of a Blu a backup?
  • Reply 46 of 48
    jdmac29jdmac29 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

So everything should be available yet I still have 7 movies from iTunes that are not available for re-download:

Batman: Year One

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Lady and the Tramp

The Nightmare Before Christmas

We Are the World: The Story Behind the Song

White Christmas

Zombie Prom

The Harry Potter movie is real weird since films 1-6 (except 4) are showing up for me. Nightmare Before Christmas is another odd one as it shows up for re-downlond for a friend of mine. Obviously there are still some kinks to work out. Until this "just works" it's not much of a selling point.

Weird thing is I have all Harry Potters but mine will not show Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince & Harry Potter and the Deathly Halllows Part 1. The rest show up.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:

Nope, that costs extra.

Yes, that fact is hilarious, by the way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmac29 View Post

Weird thing is I have all Harry Potters but mine will not show Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince & Harry Potter and the Deathly Halllows Part 1. The rest show up.

I have an odd problem with Ratatouille where it keeps showing a cloud icon for redownload when the current version is on my machine. I've removed it completely and redownloaded and it remains. Still getting kinks out I'd imagine.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Yep but we all do it. I always make a copy using DIVX of every DVD and Blue Ray we buy or rent. Kids are so destructive of those things. So I always copy the media into our media NAS server so that way everyone can enjoy them scratch free. Don't really care if this is illegal or not, I've already lost hundreds of dollars to scratched media in the past. As far as TV shows are concerned, I will never, ever buy something that was free from the start. We download all of our shows, Hulu is great although I have to use a proxy server in the US as they only stream there. Music, I never ask where my daughter or son gets their's from but I'm sure it's threw sharing with friends and torrents. My husband and I collect records.