Cnet announces Mac Pro EOl!

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74

Just out of curiosity, can you upgrade the Mac Mini's HD through the new 'easy access' black slot twist on the bottom?

Can't think of easy access to upgrade the gpu or cpu on the laptops or the min or the iMac.  But hey, the ram is upgradeable, right?

You can't upgrade the GPU in the Pro either, mind. ;)  Despite it's 2k entry price for 'easy access' to all parts...

'Churn.'

You know, Wizard...I'm sure I remember Steve Jobs doing a key note where he demonstrated how easy it was to access and service the chin iMac...*scratches head.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 62 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Just out of curiosity, can you upgrade the Mac Mini's HD through the new 'easy access' black slot twist on the bottom?

Yep, you can get to it.

Notice how carefully I worded that. Granted, it's not hard; you're not going to break anything, but it's basically the same difficulty as getting to the hard drive in a pre-unibody aluminum MacBook Pro.

Quote:

You can't upgrade the GPU in the Pro either, mind. ;)  Despite it's 2k entry price for 'easy access' to all parts...

It's a laptop. Name me any laptop to which you can do that.

• Reply 63 of 74

I suppose on the Air a ram and HD access is fair enough.

But I would have liked the iMac to have the Z's access and be able to swap in better MXM GPUs (is that the 'portable' gpu standard for laptops and AIOs?) as time goes by.  

Are we just entering a commodity era of 'closed' access computing devices with nominal access for ram and HD on 'some' Macs?  The universal access of the old Blue and White tower, the Pro tower seems to be creeping into Mac history books.  (The latter's universal access comes with quite the price tag...)

Access to the Mac's internals seems sporadic.  Depends on the Mac.  Depends on what you're trying to upgrade.

Still, it's not something that's overly bothered me.  I didn't even access the internals of my Power Mac in all the time I had it.  So I was pretty brave to replace the HD in my iMac.  (An almight faff with soft metalled torque short arse screws needed 'special' screw drivers...  Apple retailer wanted to charge me £200 to do the work and another £200 for a HD...  £400!  Screw that.  It took an hour-ish to take the iMac apart and back together...in fact, the longest amount of time was the chasing down the 'special' screw driver or nipping to PC World for the 7200rpm HD instead of the crappy 5400rpm thing Apple had put in a 'top end' iMac...)

:)

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 64 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep, you can get to it.

Notice how carefully I worded that. Granted, it's not hard; you're not going to break anything, but it's basically the same difficulty as getting to the hard drive in a pre-unibody aluminum MacBook Pro.

It's a laptop. Name me any laptop to which you can do that.

Yeah.  I heard the HD was tricky to get to.  Which was kind of what I was alluding to. ;)

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Pro isn't a laptop... ;)

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 65 of 74

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Pro isn't a laptop... ;)

Okay, so then you're just outright wrong and I'm confused.

• Reply 66 of 74
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

I suppose on the Air a ram and HD access is fair enough.

But I would have liked the iMac to have the Z's access and be able to swap in better MXM GPUs (is that the 'portable' gpu standard for laptops and AIOs?) as time goes by.  

Are we just entering a commodity era of 'closed' access computing devices with nominal access for ram and HD on 'some' Macs?  The universal access of the old Blue and White tower, the Pro tower seems to be creeping into Mac history books.  (The latter's universal access comes with quite the price tag...)

Access to the Mac's internals seems sporadic.  Depends on the Mac.  Depends on what you're trying to upgrade.

Still, it's not something that's overly bothered me.  I didn't even access the internals of my Power Mac in all the time I had it.  So I was pretty brave to replace the HD in my iMac.  (An almight faff with soft metalled torque short arse screws needed 'special' screw drivers...  Apple retailer wanted to charge me £200 to do the work and another £200 for a HD...  £400!  Screw that.  It took an hour-ish to take the iMac apart and back together...in fact, the longest amount of time was the chasing down the 'special' screw driver or nipping to PC World for the 7200rpm HD instead of the crappy 5400rpm thing Apple had put in a 'top end' iMac...)

:)

Lemon Bon Bon.

It's silly isn't it? Making it that expensive to replace a drive just irritates me. 

Quote:

Okay, so then you're just outright wrong and I'm confused.

Here's a picture of a group of sea otters.

seaotters1.jpg

• Reply 67 of 74
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

The most expensive version of that Z1 only has 4 cores.  This might work for some people, but this is not "power" without the tower.  A powerful tower these days has at least 8 cores, but 16 is the new standard for high end work stations.  

• Reply 68 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mike fix wrote: »
    <p> The most expensive version of that Z1 only has 4 cores.  This might work for some people, but this is not "power" without the tower.  A powerful tower these days has at least 8 cores, but 16 is the new standard for high end work stations.  </p>
    Power is different things to different people. While I have to agree that 4 cores should be a minimal configuration these days for a desktop, it isn't always the number of cores that count. Some would rather have vast quanities of RAM, massive secondary storage or high clock rate cores.

Some people look in the mirror and see a power user and then demand that every power user look like them. The problem with that is the infinite possibility with which a computer can be put to use. Not everybody needs those sixteen cores to do valuable work. In a nut shell this is why Apples desktop line sucks so much and is a sales failure in light of the laptops. Apple has very niche desktop hardware, that unfortunately leaves many a professional user cold.
  • Reply 69 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In a nut shell this is why Apples desktop line sucks so much and is a sales failure in light of the laptops. Apple has very niche desktop hardware, that unfortunately leaves many a professional user cold.

Are you saying there aren't niche laptop users and/or that Apple IS catering to a wide variety of laptop users? I wouldn't say either is the case.

• Reply 70 of 74
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Some would rather have vast quanities of RAM, massive secondary storage or high clock rate cores. Not everybody needs those sixteen cores to do valuable work. In a nut shell this is why Apples desktop line sucks so much and is a sales failure in light of the laptops. Apple has very niche desktop hardware, that unfortunately leaves many a professional user cold.

My thoughts exactly, Dave.

• Reply 71 of 74
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    bjny wrote: »
    iMac Pro, please<br /><br /><a href="http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/17/hp-ships-27-inch-z1-all-in-one-workstation-pricing/" target="_blank">http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/17/h...ation-pricing/</a>

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HP-Z1-Teardown/8840/1
  • Reply 72 of 74
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

The only development team that has left any building is AIM's and the AIM building.

The only thing that's about to die for certain is iChat's functionality?

I disagree. It's not certain that iChat will die. At least not totally. They seem to be moving it into one program with Messages and eventually also FaceTime. 

• Reply 73 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I disagree. It's not certain that iChat will die. At least not totally. They seem to be moving it into one program with Messages and eventually also FaceTime. 

I mean what we used to call "iChat", the AIM protocol, through which people would get an "iChat" account. They've been basically synonymous since its release in aught four, but if AIM is shut down, all we'll have left is iMessage and Jabber support, among the few others.

That means no file transfers, no 2-10 person audio chats, no 2-4 person video chats…  Not unless Apple buys up the AIM patents and fleshes out iMessage into an actual replacement for it.

And seriously, FaceTime. Why is it still a separate application in Mountain Lion? I'm rather worried that they're not planning on combining the two. I already know that they'll never give me the option to list my iMessage contacts visibly in Messages… 

• Reply 74 of 74
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

Apple with its riches, should buy AIM.  Heck, they wouldn't even need to change the acronym!  But that's not why they should buy it.  The multi-person video conferencing still can't be beaten, and when you have a really good Internet connection, the quality is incredible.  The file sharing aspect is killer.  I would hate to see it go away!