Apple's iPad projected to control 61% of tablet market in 2012

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can people afford to NOT get an iPad?

You can buy a $70 Android tablet at Big Lots. They don't call it an eReader, they don't call it a media player, it's a "real tablet".

Uh huh.

Runs 1.6, even.

No silly I'm not talking about a 70 dollar tablet but you can pick up a Samsung 8.9 wifi for 300 bucks now. That's a really nice tablet. Not everyone needs a iPad, surfing and email works perfectly fine on the Samsung. Things like Evernote and all those free news apps, games and other stuff like Instragram and Facebook make for a very decent experience not to mention it plays pretty much every codec out of the box without any special expensive app. DLNA support so you can stream your HD movies to a TV wireless, lighter and thinner then the iPad with 8 hours of battery. It's nice, real nice anyone would be happy with it. Yes, yes except for you guys because your Apple junkies.

I swear it's like some you think that no other company can manufacture a decent product.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I continue to chuckle at Gartner. Those long term projections are hilarious.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Remember guys there were tons of kindles and Sony e-readers sold way before the iPad went on sale.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

You mean like the new iPad that has broken Wi-Fi or like my one that can't switch to 3G without a reboot?

The same iPad that has a 98% customer satisfaction rate.

http://www.changewaveresearch.com/ar..._20120402.html
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Apple has 90%+ marketshare of tablets actually being used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm sorry and you know this how?

It's a guess... but I can agree with it too.

Every time the new market share numbers come out... they paint Apple as "losing" market share to Android.

By definition... "market share" is all the products on the market for a particular time period.... all sold and un-sold products. This includes all products simply shipped from the factory to Best Buy.

So yes... every quarter there are more and more tablets being pumped into the channel... yet Android manufacturers rarely share actual sales numbers.

The other metric is "installed base"

That's all the products in use today by actual consumers. I think Apple really has 90%... or at least pretty darn close to it.

Apple's last public statement was that they had sold 55 million iPads since April 2010. Then they sold 3 million more during just the first 3 days of the new iPad's launch.

And that was a month ago...

I think it's safe to say that of the tablets in consumer's hands right now... the iPad is an extremely high percentage of them...
  • Reply 46 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Remember guys there were tons of kindles and Sony e-readers sold way before the iPad went on sale.

The iPad redefined what a 'tablet' is, so anything pre iPad (and a ton of them after) should really be in a separate category IMHO, along with Etch-A-Sketch.

No political connection intended!
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:

really nice...perfectly fine...decent experience...pretty much...It's nice

Remind me not to let you write my ad copy for me. I usually buy products for the superlative experience, not the "meh, it's generally okay" experience. I save my money until I can afford a top rated product. Android is the race to the bottom. Sure it sells but what it really says is "I was too cheap to buy an iPad, but this is almost as good as an iPad."
  • Reply 48 of 53
    I predict Apple will control about 80% of the iPad market through 2016.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    It really is irrelevant how many Android tablets are out there. China is busy pumping $80-100 Android tabs and they all run pirated stuff.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

You mean like the new iPad that has broken Wi-Fi or like my one that can't switch to 3G without a reboot?

I don't have any of those problems. You can take yours to the genius bar amd they will either fix it or replace it.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I?ve wondered the same thing about current tablet share numbers I?ve seen claimed. I see iPads everywhere; once in a blue moon I see a Kindle Fire. I?ve seen any other tablet maybe 3 times in the past 18 months.

I think the answer my lie with a) too much optimism for Android, but also b) Kindle Fire. Sold at a loss, not compatible with mainstream app markets, and maybe ?Android? in name only. Even Google themselves is allegedly looking for a way to counter the Amazon Fire ?problem.? But I expect most Android tablets sold will be from Amazon. Bad for Android, bad for people expecting great Android tablet apps. But OK for people who want little more than an e-reader with color pictures; and OK for Amazon, as long as they recoup their loss.

True that! The Kindle fire is the most applianced device I've seen. None of that SD slots, bunch of ports and customization "freedom" that rabid android fans point to all the time. I'd say the kindle fire is as anti-android as they come. The fact that android runs under the hood, makes little difference since they don't offer that android "experience".

I know three people who have them, but after the initial honeymoon phase, they don't even carry them around anymore.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

I swear it's like some you think that no other company can manufacture a decent product.

Sure they can. I just don't buy decent products, I buy the best. Too me, that is still the iPad. Although without 4G here in The Netherlands there isn't really that much reason for me to have this 3rd gen. Like it just the same. And ok, photos do look better, but it turned out to not be a 'requirement' for me.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Wafts of Sweet Grass gently stir the minds at Garner Research.

One can only stand in wonder at the augural Tables revealed by GR. I see rooms full with crystal balls, wild incantatory screaming from whirling dervishes, gypsy palm readers leading focus groups, and tables levitating in somber séances led by Carolina Milanesi.

Caps off! Stand Tall! Awe swells at legacies past of Gartner predictions gracing this short century.