Australian government, Apple can't reach deal on branding of 4G LTE iPad

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I have no idea what your comment about Steve being dead has to do with anything.

Really? Steve was always the spearhead behind those pushes. Steve told Intel to make a smaller chip. They made a smaller chip. Steve told his guys to get the iPhone working in two weeks. They got it working in two weeks. Steve told Corning they could build their product idea. They did it.

The RDF worked because Steve had the ability to push people to their limits. I'm saying that doesn't have to stop being true about Apple even though he's not around anymore. Apple still has people with the charisma to get that done for new projects in the future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jivemaster View Post

Its lucky people in the USA have Apple to think for them by selling 4G iPads linked to a carrier so they can't make mistakes. Derp.

What does this even mean?
  • Reply 82 of 90
    augustyaaugustya Posts: 109member
    Looks like Apple has learnt its lesson from the Australian Incident of advertising 4G LTE when there was no 4G in Australia ! In India when it is scheduled to Launch April-27th the Indian Apple Site makes no mention of 4G LTE in its description :-)

http://www.apple.com/in/ipad
  • Reply 83 of 90
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mightymike View Post

What about cars that are advertised to go 100+ mph when you can't drive that fast? Do cars come with a disclaimer?

Give me a break! Apple has already offered a full refund and clarified the text on their website.

Small minded gov types just need their 15 min of fame to remind themselves that their still relevant. Unfortunately the judge is also employed by the gov, which does not want to lose face so Apple may not get a fair shake.

If I sell you a car that is capable of doing 100+ mph, It is up to you to abide by any local traffic laws. You will however legally be allowed to travel in excess of 100mph on suitable private land.

If I sell you a car and tell you that it can fly but forget to add the caveat that it can only fly on the moon then I'd expect you to be pretty irked.

Your last point just smacks of paranoia.

• Reply 84 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

If I sell you a car that is capable of doing 100+ mph, It is up to you to abide by any local traffic laws. You will however legally be allowed to travel in excess of 100mph on suitable private land.

There we go. We've finally trimmed the fat on the car analogy to something quotable whenever this comes up again. Kudos. 

• Reply 85 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Months"? No, no. This is the model we have until next year.

Which is exactly why it's not happening… They're not going to pop out a new model "months" after the current one. They have a nice year-long update policy.

Agreed, but if the chips didn't exist, the chips didn't exist.

Fortunately, in most cases, the networks there don't exist, either.

How can you be so sure that Apple will not update until next year?

Anecdotally I don't know anyone who has been convinced to upgrade their iPads/iPad2 to the newipad. As far as they are concerned the new screen is not enough reason, but the screen and 4G would be. With W8 and country specific LTE being likely towards the end of the year, Apple might lose a few customers.

• Reply 86 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

How can you be so sure that Apple will not update until next year?

Common sense and history.

Quote:

With W8 and country specific LTE being likely towards the end of the year, Apple might lose a few customers.

To what? Apple isn't going to lose real customers to 4G.

• Reply 87 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

To what? Apple isn't going to lose real customers to 4G.

Loyal customers, probably not but how do you define a loyal customer?

There are many households that only own one iPad and no other Apple devices. Once more countries roll out/develop their LTE networks those looking for tablet devices may be swayed by the hype surrounding 4G.

(IMO) Currently W8 is the biggest potential threat to the ipad. If it proves popular it is likely that it will drive WP8 sales, thereby threatening iphone sales. Although the Metro interface represents a learning curve people will expect the devices to play nicely with their existing Windows product. Many W8 devices, particularly the intel based ones, are expected to ship with LTE/WIFI Direct/NFC/Intel Wireless Display from day one.

N America may well currently have the largest LTE subscriber base but by the end of the year Asia is expected to usurp it

• Reply 88 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Looks like Apple is moving to WiFi + Cellular which answers my question about "How does it make sense to say it can't connect to 4G but still it call it 4G? It either is or isn't. You have to go all in or not at all."

[LIST][*]http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/select_ipad [/LIST]
  • Reply 89 of 90
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Looks like Apple is moving to WiFi + Cellular which answers my question about "How does it make sense to say it can't connect to 4G but still it call it 4G? It either is or isn't. You have to go all in or not at all."

Would have been so much better if they had just done this in the beginning.

• Reply 90 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Would have been so much better if they had just done this in the beginning.

People would have sued because you can't get "cellular" anywhere.