Intel & Microsoft hope to push iPad's global market share under 50% in 2013

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Don't underestimate Microsoft. They have been hamstrung the last 10 years by antitrust monitoring but that is over now. Meanwhile Tim Cook is demonstrating weakness by letting every pressure group and their dog push Apple around. I expect MS to make a comeback soon.

Well, that's certainly one take. Delusional, but a take nonetheless.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    philgarphilgar Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

A few models will be priced that high not all. They will most likely have high speed processors and more memory for CAD work.

I think one of the things people forget, particularly with these "$1000" machines, is the "convertible" laptops. These will function similar to ultrabooks in that they'll have a small lightweight form factor, and run traditional desktop computing applications. Then, if the user is on the go, or wants just a tablet they can disconnect the screen and use it as a tablet, along with the battery life benefits a tablet affords them.

This is something apple currently has no counter for, and eventually people will get tired of paying $1200 for a laptop, and another $600 for a tablet when a single device can offer the functionality of both. Whether or not it will be a success has yet to be told, but I do think there will be some threat to apple with this new platform. My feelings as always are "bring on the competition", make me want to change away from having to pay the apple tax for what I think are the best products. I'd love them to help drive down apple's prices, or actually release a product that's better than apple's. I know it's blasphemy in here, but I just want awesome new toys to play with, and don't really care whose logo is emblazoned on it.

Phil
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Price? Top of the line Android phones cost the same as iPhone. Some actually cost more, e.g. Galaxy Note LTE subsidized ATT price $300 vs. $200 iPhone.

And then think about it: many people would not wait 18 month just to fix antenna issue and get minor spec updates. Apple is beating the old horse over and over but a lot of people expect more regardless sleek design and rigorous marketing hype.

So.... you live in some kind of fantasy world where Apple is falling behind, losing sales, and generally being eclipsed by competitors? Interesting. Good luck with that.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

A few models will be priced that high not all. They will most likely have high speed processors and more memory for CAD work.

"CAD work", eh? Who's going to write the touch friendly CAD software?

One thing these discussions always seem to ignore is how hard it is to translate desktop productivity mouse and keyboard based software to touch. Some folks act like it's enough to provide horse power (at whatever cost to battery life), but Microsoft's sorry track record with "touch sort of" devices suggest no one really wants that.

I also hear that MS is going to run away with this market because they're providing a "real OS", but in fact Metro is even less a subset of Windows than iOS is a subset of OS X. iOS isn't designed like it is because Apple can't figure out how to make it "real" or "powerful", it's designed like it is because it provides a user experience tailored to multi-touch. Apple could undoubtedly put "full OS X" on ARM tomorrow, but why?

The problem with running CAD software on a tablet isn't CPU heft, it's translating all those finicky little parameters, menus and keyboard shortcuts into something that works with fingers. Apple has been working on this problem for a while, and has a pretty good lead with creating a consistent, extensible touch UI language. The idea that MS just kind of shovels Windows stuff onto tablets and wins, without any further insight into how they plan to manage the UI transition, is just random speculation.

And if we're talking about Metro ARM tablets, really? Do you see that as a promising start for CAD work?
  • Reply 65 of 74
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Intel will never ever make ARM designed cpus. Its like apple putting android on its own hardware. Never going to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_by_revenue

Didn't intel own own xScale? I think Intel has sour grapes over getting rid of their own Arm based processor just as someone found a profitable use (iPhone) for Arm processors.

I bet every time Paul Otellini sees an iPhone he gets a bit pissed at the missed opportunity.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

So they have app and media stores ready to go? They have licensing agreements with all the major studios and other content generators? They have a mature and "developer friendly" development environment (this one they do with Visual Studio)? They have a cloud storage solution ready to go? They have a revenue sharing plan ready for developers (IMHO, they ought to make it an 80-20 split to give developers better return than Apple.)? They have extremely strict hardware spec requirements (screen resolution, storage, GPU performance, connectivity, etc.) to avoid the splintering that has occurred with Android? They have a way to keep OEMs from gumming up the systems with adware?

iOS is so much more than a hunk of hardware and an OS.

IMHO, Microsoft ought to become more like Apple and make their own tablet - hardware, OS, everything. Partner with some manufacturers if you must, but make it a MICROSOFT device. (Although the Zune didn't work out so well for them, but the XBox has.)

- Jasen.

Why do people keep pointing to the xbox as a success when in fact MSFT has lost BILLIONS on the xbox????? That is not how I would measure success...
  • Reply 67 of 74
    It's funny how the majority here completely understimates what windows represents.

The fact of the matter is that the 70% market share that apple represents is actually not that big of a deal.

The vast majority of people out there don't actually own a tablet.

In the period it took apple to sell 50 million ipads, microsoft has sold 530 million windows 7 licenses.

If windows 8 "flops" just as hard as windows vista, then win 8 will instantly burry both apple and google. Combined.

For microsoft NOT to surpass apple's market share, it would require for windows 8 to be the worst selling windows OS since like... ever.

Even if it flops, it will still sell millions upon millions.

Just wait and see till people start to realise that if they buy a windows 8 tablet... they won't actually need a desktop or laptop anymore... because that tablet will be a FULL pc.

I don't know a single person who only has an ipad or android tablet. Reason is simple: these things are consumption devices. Companions for an actual computer.

Apple doesn't even want an ipad that can replace a full pc, because apple wants to also sell macs and macbooks.

Microsoft doesn't care about that... they just need to push the OS and who cares what it runs on.

The very nature of the model of iOs is doomed to become a niche product. Any OS that is couple with specific hardware is always doomed to become a niche product.

Android doesn't have that problem, but android is disadvantaged because of massive fragmentation. Android also isn't capable of actually taking the place of a full pc either.

Also... Dell, Lenovo, HP,... etc etc are big massive companies. These enterprises are not going to build 32+ tablets without doing some market research first. The very fact that so MANY tablets are going to flood the market is a key indicator that their market research was positive. That there really IS demand for a good windows tablet.

If that wasn't the case, there's no way that we would see so much of these devices being announced.

I feel like all of you are heavily underestimating what microsoft is capable of while also really overestimating apple's tablet market. It really isn't that big.

Here are some numbers to illustrate this:

92% of all computers run windows (that's well over 1.5 billion pc's)

77% of all computing devices connecting to internet with a browser are windows pc's (well over 1 billion machines)

Half of those machines are windows 7 machines (around 530 million)

Meanwhile... the apple has sold what... like 55 million tablets? In the same period as 530 million windows 7 licenses, making it the fastest selling OS (perhaps even "product") in all of history.

And all that happened under Ballmer's watch.

Considering those numbers.... anyone who tries to state that "microsoft is history" or "microsoft is in decline" or who laughs at microsoft stating that they plan to bring back ipad market share by a ridiculous 20%... that person deserves nothing but ridicule.

Apple will be successfull for a long time for sure. They have their public and their fans and they do a good job for sure. But please, let's be realistic here...

I think it's safe to say that Apple's glory days are over now, they reached their peak and this is pretty much where they will stay. This would be a good time to start cashing out on apple stock.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

I also hear that MS is going to run away with this market because they're providing a "real OS", but in fact Metro is even less a subset of Windows than iOS is a subset of OS X

But Metro is not windows 8. Metro is INCLUDED in windows 8. Your windows 7 desktop is also in there.

So your point is kind of void.

Quote:

iOS isn't designed like it is because Apple can't figure out how to make it "real" or "powerful", it's designed like it is because it provides a user experience tailored to multi-touch. Apple could undoubtedly put "full OS X" on ARM tomorrow, but why?

Apple won't be doing this for only ONE reason: they want you to buy a mac and/or macbook as well. Apple making a tablet that can actually replace your desktop/laptop would be shooting in their own foot and making their imacs etc obsolete.

It doesn't take a college degree to realise why they won't do that.

Quote:

The idea that MS just kind of shovels Windows stuff onto tablets and wins, without any further insight into how they plan to manage the UI transition, is just random speculation

Actually, it just shows that you don't get what windows 8 is all about.

It's about giving you a tablet that can actually replace your pc.

It's about actually realising that there are some things that favor/require a keyboard and mouse and some other things don't.

Win8 tablets will come with dockings and/or HDMI outputs. You'll run fully featured desktop software and "dumbed down" metro companion software. Which one you use will be determined based on your needs, location, available form factor, etc.

Quote:

And if we're talking about Metro ARM tablets, really? Do you see that as a promising start for CAD work?

ARM tablets are toys, meant for consumption first.

Having said that, I have reason to believe that windows 9 (or 8 sp1-2?) will introduce a new "metrofied" application model for the desktop wich will allow engineers to develop "metrofied" sandboxed desktop applications that will run on both ARM as well as x86, and which will be distributed through the store. Look at Zune desktop software and compare the animations, UI style etc to metro apps. It's painfully obvious.

And eventually, this will completely replace win32.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

1. The original windows tablet failed because they tried to run full blown desktop apps on it and no tablet buyer really wants that kind of punishment. Why would that be a reason for success now?

Think of using an 11" MacBook Air with a removable screen that, when detached, worked like an iPad.

That's Windows 8.

Windows 8 is aimed at the market segment that wants something like an iPad, but also needs something a bit more like a PC. The theory is that this segment is enough to make Windows 8 successful; although most estimates put its eventual market penetration well below the iPad.

• Reply 70 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Why do people keep pointing to the xbox as a success when in fact MSFT has lost BILLIONS on the xbox????? That is not how I would measure success...

Most people care about great products, not how much money someone has in the bank.

If Apple were totally broke it wouldn't somehow make the iPad a worse product.

• Reply 71 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScientificBob View Post

I think it's safe to say that Apple's glory days are over now, they reached their peak and this is pretty much where they will stay. This would be a good time to start cashing out on apple stock.

There is still plenty of potential growth in Apple before they plateau.

Consider:

1. A larger iPod (i.e. 7") to take on the cheap media tablet\eReader market.

2. Media content, both TV and movies. Perhaps not an actual TV but a new way of delivering content.

3. Audio. A Sonos-like audio system tied into AirPlay and iCloud would sell like crazy.

4. In-built in-car entertainment. These systems often sell for many thousands of dollars and are not as good as a first gen iPad.

5. Payments. Not just an NFC powered "Apple Wallet" but an Apple version of PayPal that is used to perform in-app payments of physical products.

There is probably a bunch more.

Apple has enough momentum to take the share price to $1000 over the next 5 years.

• Reply 72 of 74
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

I tried the W8 developer preview on my laptop when it was first released. I was pretty underwhelmed by the metro interface experience on a non touch device.

Recently, some bloke in the pub let me play with his intel viewsonic tablet running the latest incarnation of W8 and I was impressed. The fisher price interface was actually usable, albeit hampered by the fact that the marketplace is limited. Even though the tablet (1gb ram) was "optimised" for W7, programs such as Word opened faster than on my own W7 (i7 6gb ram). My experience was rather short and I have no doubts that batter life etc would have been crap but for the first time ever I stopped looking at tablets as being overblown phones.

Personally, an Arm device would not interest me but I can see the allure of a £1000 intel tablet that really will give me the processing power of my laptop and the convenience of Metro.

• Reply 73 of 74
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igorleandro View Post

"Microsoft and Intel try to take over the world"

And the news is?

It's not current news but it sure is different from when wintel already owned the world.

• Reply 74 of 74
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Think of using an 11" MacBook Air with a removable screen that, when detached, worked like an iPad.

That's a brilliant concept I'd love to own.  As long as it didn't suck.

See, that last part is kinda tricky.