Greepeace stages protest on roof of Apple's European HQ in Ireland

12346

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


    Actually natural gas IS renewable energy. It's the end result of the decomposition of biological material into oil which releases the gas with the earth trapping it in pockets.



    All living things die therefore will inevitably become oil. The idea of renewable energy pretty much applies to everything. The difference is that oil isn't being renewed as quickly as other fuel sources but it does get renewed.







    Ah, So "renewable energy" sources include coal plants. And gasoline is renewable energy too. That makes it all so much more clear.



    You should work for Apple's PR department. They can use clear-thinking people like you. You could issue a press release saying that Apple uses ONLY renewable energy. That would be good.



    Next, you could tell us that the iPad is available in one color: Black and white. Because they are really the same.



    /s
  • Reply 102 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post


    Are we supposed to take them seriously when they target a single company out of the entire IT industry?



    ...with an exclusive contract with the the coal fired power industry???



    Hey idiots at Greenpeace, if all the coal fired power stations were immediately shut down, the world would collapse as power shut off to most of it.
  • Reply 103 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    Hey idiots at Greenpeace, if all the coal fired power stations were immediately shut down, the world would collapse as power shut off to most of it.





    Does Greenpeace advocate that we immediately shut down all coal fired power stations?



    If not, they why did you bring it up?
  • Reply 104 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Apple's fuel cells should not be called renewable energy, given your claim:









    Listen - any gas fueled power plant could run on biogas. But nobody would call the output of gas turbine plants "renewable energy".



    And Apple should not call the output of its natural gas generators "renewable energy".



    Aren't the Greenpeace hippies whining about coal?



    Natural gas is not coal.



    Besides coal and natural gas are renewable on the geological time scale, it's just a small matter of degree.
  • Reply 105 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    Besides coal and natural gas are renewable on the geological time scale, it's just a small matter of degree.



    Yes. A definition of "renewable energy" which includes coal and petroleum is the best way to go about defining the term. It makes the meaning very clear.



    And it lets Apple claim that it uses ONLY renewable energy.



    /s
  • Reply 106 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Does Greenpeace advocate that we immediately shut down all coal fired power stations?



    If not, they why did you bring it up?



    Apple's <20 MW usage at North Carolina is a drop in a bucket.



    The actual average generated power from coal in the USA in 2006 was 227.1 GW.
  • Reply 107 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Yes. A definition of "renewable energy" which includes coal and petroleum is the best way to go about defining the term. It makes the meaning very clear.



    And it lets Apple claim that it uses ONLY renewable energy.



    /s





    We should start by burying rain forests, wait a few thousand years and you'll have coal.



    Renewable energy.



    I reject the Greenpeace definition.
  • Reply 108 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    Interesting that Apple has a European HQ in Ireland but no Apple Store.



    It's a tax thing.
  • Reply 109 of 122
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,445member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    We should start by burying rain forests, wait a few thousand years and you'll have coal.



    Renewable energy.



    I reject the Greenpeace definition.



    try 100 of millions of years and large shift in the plates driving oil and coal producing material 100's to 1000's of feet below the surface. Yep the human race will be long gone by the time it renews itself.
  • Reply 110 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post




    Renewable energy.



    I reject the Greenpeace definition.



    Words and phrases have meanings. You can reject anything you want, but it will not affect reality.
  • Reply 111 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post


    Are we supposed to take them seriously when they target a single company out of the entire IT industry?



    i haven't taken them seriously in a decade. apple gets them in the news. losers.
  • Reply 112 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Words and phrases have meanings. You can reject anything you want, but it will not affect reality.



    Geological time scale has meaning, oil, natural gas and coal are renewable in relation to it, according to some the geological time scale is less than 5,000 years if you accept the definition of the bible belt crowd...



    ...but they're more fucked up than Greenpeace.
  • Reply 113 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    apple gets them in the news. losers.



    Apple is a loser only in cellphone market share. Otherwise, I don't think the word applies.
  • Reply 114 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    Geological time scale has meaning, oil, natural gas and coal are renewable in relation to it, according to some the geological time scale is less than 5,000 years if you accept the definition of the bible belt crowd...



    ...but they're more fucked up than Greenpeace.





    Black and white look exactly the same in the absence of illumination. I guess that is similar to your point?
  • Reply 115 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post


    try 100 of millions of years and large shift in the plates driving oil and coal producing material 100's to 1000's of feet below the surface. Yep the human race will be long gone by the time it renews itself.



    The Bible says it isn't so and many people give credence to an Earth that is less than 5,000 years old, that teamed with the "eternal life" myth puts paid to your statement.



    (This statement is presented in the interests of equal time for crackpots just as credible as Greenpeace.)



    Besides we can rely on peat as we wait for the coal, time to start bulldozing swamps.
  • Reply 116 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Black and white look exactly the same in the absence of illumination. I guess that is similar to your point?



    To Greenpeace's point, actually.
  • Reply 117 of 122
    nhtnht Posts: 4,386member
    What we have in this thread is some posters failing basic internet skills:



    1) The Ignore Trolls Skillz Failure - anyone lambasting Apple for using the word "renewable" in the context of fuel cells while ignoring GP's 100MW vs 20MW overestimation is an obvious troll. Fail.



    2) The Google-Fu Skillz Failure - anyone who actually tried to Google "Apple Fuel Cell" would find that Apple has stated it will be 100% biogas. This is widely reported and can be taken directly from the horses mouth from their 2012 facility ENVIRONMENTAL UPDATE (note the clue in the title that it might have some bearing on the topic).



    "Apple is building a fuel cell installation that, when online later in 2012, will be the

    largest non-utility fuel cell installation operating anywhere in the country. This

    5-megawatt facility, located directly adjacent to the data center, will be powered

    by 100 percent biogas
    , and provide more than 40 million kWh of 24x7 baseload

    renewable energy annually."



    http://www.apple.com/environment/rep...eport_2012.pdf



    Not shutting up the troll about Apple "lying" with such an easy fact that also shows he's an idiot at the same time is a double fail.



    3) The Don't Make Stupid Statements Because Trolls Piss You Off Skillz Failure - Using geologic timescale in the context of renewable energy is like worth 10,000 lolz to the troll because he made you say something completely stupid. This is an epic failure that tragically overshadows the troll's own innate lameness.



    WTF? Who thinks this is ever a good idea? This is not fighting fire with fire. You cannot fight dumb with dumber.



    4) The Don't Ignore Annoying Threads and Get An Infraction Point Failure - This is my fail for this thread but seriously people...can AI threads get any dumber? You guys have made my ignore list nearly worthless.
  • Reply 118 of 122
    nhtnht Posts: 4,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    The actual average generated power from coal in the USA in 2006 was 227.1 GW.



    That would let you time travel around 187 times.
  • Reply 119 of 122
    Whoops! Someone just fell off the side of the building! I'm sorry, what protest are we talking about?
  • Reply 120 of 122
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,126member
    Greenpeace should have taken a cue from the Chinese Foxconn workers and threatened to jump unless their demands were met. Oh wait... bad idea... nobody would have cared if the Greenpeace people jumped,
Sign In or Register to comment.