The new forums seem to be rather nice!

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

Quote:

Now, I have to go to each individual forum to catch up on the latest.

But you don't need to do that. Something you couldn't do with vBulletin was bookmark (or Top Site) the "new posts" page at all. You can do that now with Huddler! That's the ONLY page I ever view in the forum! 

I'm not familiar with Huddler. Googling it was no help.  Where do I find it and how do I use it?

• Reply 62 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I'm not familiar with Huddler. Googling it was no help.  Where do I find it and how do I use it?

It's this link right here, unless I'm misunderstanding what you want.

• Reply 63 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

It's this link right here, unless I'm misunderstanding what you want.

It says new posts and the first one is dated today; however, the second one is dated back in '09 and the rest are mixed dates. I'd like the last 24 hours or at least in some kind of date order. Is there a way to access that?

Edit: when I went back and looked, they were mixed in a different way. 

• Reply 64 of 75

Quote:

It says new posts and the first one is dated today; however, the second one is dated back in '09 and the rest are mixed dates. I'd like the last 24 hours or at least in some kind of date order. Is there a way to access that?

Edit: when I went back and looked, they were mixed in a different way. 

Weird. Do you have anything turned off (or on), by chance? It always shows up properly for me (newest first, descending). Not sure why (or how) it would mess up post dates. 

• Reply 65 of 75

Re-booted computer. Red face. Don't know if that were the problem or not, but New Posts seems to be working now. 

Thanks for your patience.

• Reply 66 of 75

I'm being repetitive, but I still can't find a way to see the new posts I haven't read before.  I can find new posts, but having to guess as to which ones I've already read is not user friendly.  In the last version of AI, unread posts for the last 24 hours or the last week were available.

Is there a way to bring up JUST the posts I haven't read yet?

• Reply 67 of 75
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    That's not very helpful. What would you change?

I just posted (indulge me this one cross-post)... I suggest AppleInsider get a full refund from the forum developers and start again.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    I just posted (indulge me this one cross-post)... I suggest AppleInsider get a full refund from the forum developers and start again.

I agree. Unfortunately, even us moderators don't seem to have any pull with those who make that decision.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I am not a fan of the new forums to much lost space.  and they seem very slow also.  I like some of the new features for post editing but two many ad's eating up space on the screen. 

Can't really use it on the iphone like to could the just not a good use in screen space.

This was a daily stopping point for me on the web but not anymore.

I agree. Who wants to stop and wait for the forum to catch up with their typing? When it get's bogged down that way it's almost unusable. 

• Reply 70 of 75

While the new (and improved???) AppleInsider may be pretty, it left out the aspect that made it user friendly to me.  The previous version allowed the user to find the latest posts for the last 24 hours; one week; etc.  It wasn't perfect as you had to wade through the stuff you weren't interested in.  If there had been a way to ask and receive just what you were looking for, it would have been almost perfect. At least, all the latest posts were in ONE place.

Why does new and improved have to mean leaving out great aspects of the previous version?  I see that Apple itself does that.

Now one must go to each individual forum and guess which posts he has already read.  

Fuggedaboutit.  I find it much too time consuming and UNuser friendly.  I quit trying to find the posts I haven't read and only go to AI when I have a problem or suggestion.  The new version has taken all the fun and life out of reading the posts.  I will not struggle through the maze again.

I have repeatedly mentioned this but to no avail.  

I wonder if AI's advertisers are aware that some (many?) members have turned their backs and refuse to jump through the hoops of the new AI version?  It's too bad I can't contact them all and tell them how AI has been spoiled and their advertising money is going down the drain. Not a great advertising ploy.  AI, you've shot yourself in the foot.

Maybe I'm alone in this. Maybe the rest of you don't care.  Maybe you don't mind hunting through layers to find a few nuggets.  If so, mea culpa.  

Thank you for allowing me to let off steam again.  I'll find another forum that is more user friendly and just occasionally come back to hear what old friends have to say. 

• Reply 71 of 75

The previous version allowed the user to find the latest posts for the last 24 hours; one week; etc. 

Sorts by time, newest first.

If there had been a way to ask and receive just what you were looking for, it would have been almost perfect. 

MacRumors (vBulletin) had the Forum Spy, which wasn't good for looking at posts when you weren't around, but could be customized to ignore whatever subforums you didn't want to see while you were there. 

I don't think there's a forum software that combines the two and gives you what you want. I'd sure love to never see PO crap. image

• Reply 72 of 75

Quote:

The previous version allowed the user to find the latest posts for the last 24 hours; one week; etc. 

I understand.  Is there a way to show what I've read previously? The old version did.

• Reply 73 of 75

Quote:

I understand.  Is there a way to show what I've read previously? The old version did.

• Reply 74 of 75

Screwed that up and made it worse by trying to fix it.

• Reply 75 of 75
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 433administrator
    asdf