Apple predicted to discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 199
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I hope this news is true. The 17" MacBook Pro annoys me. These are supposed to be portable machines ffs. Consumers don't want to carry these huge laptops around with them. 15" should be the maximum.

It was always aimed at people who use them for work. You don't understand them because you were never the target market. While this may not make sense to you either, I knew may people who owned both a mac pro and a 17" macbook pro. By the way, it's actually weird that you'd want them to cancel it because you don't want one. How egomaniacal are you?

• Reply 22 of 199
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jims1973 View Post

As hard as this may be for you to hear, you are not everyone. Speak for yourself!

+1

• Reply 23 of 199
    womble2k2womble2k2 Posts: 118member

The 17" MBP is a great desktop replacement machine for those who;

1. Don't have the space for a desktop computer

2. Like to have occasional portability

I'm very doubtful it wlll be dropped, for 3 reasons;

1. It is a high price tag item, so even with low volumes still mean a decent amount of revenue

2. There is a risk that larger screen laptop users will then switch back to the PC.

3. There is no good reason to discontinue it! The cost of having it in the line up is easily met by the revenue and profit generated.

A retina/HiDPI displayed 17" MBP is what I believe is unlikely. More likely to be a bump to current specs, maybe 2880 x 1800, but 3840 x 2400 (9.2 Megapixel) would be amazing!!

Phil

• Reply 24 of 199
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's idiotic. I seriously doubt it.

Discontinue the 13" MacBook Pro, they mean.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, hope so.  :)

13" is the most popular unit they make

and (apologies to those above) but ...

17" is mostly for poseurs and doesn't sell in large numbers.

Very few customers looking for a laptop want big, bulky and heavy.  It's a niche part of the portable market for sure. 

• Reply 25 of 199
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

/sigh. I seriously seriously doubt this. They can't call for desktop replacements without there being a true desktop replacement. I know many many professional developers that use these. I doubt apple wants to go there. 

See signature.

• Reply 26 of 199
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    I agree with dropping this. I've had a 17" since 2008 and especially now with the ipad, there is no reason to move this monster around and there is every reason top substitute an imac with a larger screen. 17" is just too bulky to be portable in today's world.
  • Reply 27 of 199
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I hope this news is true. The 17" MacBook Pro annoys me. These are supposed to be portable machines ffs. Consumers don't want to carry these huge laptops around with them. 15" should be the maximum.

What kind of person writes "I hope XXX company stops building this product other people buy because it doesn't fit in my idea about what people should be allowed to buy"?

Please emigrate to North Korea, thank you very much, good bye.

• Reply 28 of 199
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nope.

So? The iPod mini was their most popular iPod. Discontinued. The MacBook sold more than the MacBook Pro. Discontinued. They don't care if there's something better than what they're discontinuing.

Quote:

17" is mostly for poseurs… 

Say that to their face. image You're not apologetic at all, you just don't get why it exists.

• Reply 29 of 199
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Who is Ming-Chi Kuo and where did he get sales figure from? I'm so sick of every utterance from a wall street analyst being considered news these days and picked up on every rumro site/blog. One day it's a TV rumor, the next an iPad mini. Another it's a new iPhone in June with a liquid metal casing. The next is an October iPhone with in cell technology (most people, including myself, probably don't even know what in cell means). Now it's killing off the 17" MBP based on no evidence other than some analyst making a prediction. I'll take my cues from Apple's earnings call tomorrow.
  • Reply 30 of 199

The 17" is the only one I would consider buying.  I'm writing this on a 17" MBP.

• Reply 31 of 199
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member

One thing I like Apple for...they know what to cut, and eventually, you'll get over it.  I mean what are you gonna do..buy a PC? 

The only reason I had a 17" was for the Express Card slot.  Now that thunderbolt has hit the market, 17" is extra screen that somewhat defeats portability.  I work with a team of 3D modelers, I edit 1080p video, use lots of windows simultaneously, and we do fine with a 13" on the road until we plugin into the cinema displays in the lab.  

• Reply 32 of 199
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

17" is mostly for poseurs and doesn't sell in large numbers.

Very few customers looking for a laptop want big, bulky and heavy.  It's a niche part of the portable market for sure. 

1-  17 inches is a very expensive machine, one of the reasons I don't have one (other reason is, I got the latest MBA 11 inches with all upgrades I needed, CPU, RAM... and it's perfect, if slightly slow on video games I play. Then again, I'm hardly running the latest games). Hence it explains why it comparatively sells less than machines that cost half its price.

2- Any reasonning that says "people who disagree with my opinion are mostly poseurs" is untrustworthy. Plus, these guys actually disagree with their wallet instead of with an internet messageboard, how annoying for you that they actually put their money where their heart is. Definitely poseurs... heh.

3- WHY does anyone listen to that analyst? Am I mistaken to think he's the one who's said many times the Mac Mini is going away (well, given a long enough timespan he'll end up being correct)? He's also the one saying Apple's going to sell iPad Mini this fall, right?

• Reply 33 of 199
    I couldn't imagine trying to work on any of my photos on an screen smaller than 17". I need the extra screen size and actually consider it easily portable. Discontinuing the 17" because it isn't as popular would be like Ford discontinuing the F-250. Just because the main consumer market isn't buying something in drones doesn't mean it is bad for business. A company with limited/no options for power/professional users will lose out when those buyers leave and take all of their other business elsewhere too.
  • Reply 34 of 199
    thx607thx607 Posts: 14member

Quote:

So? The iPod mini was their most popular iPod. Discontinued. The MacBook sold more than the MacBook Pro. Discontinued. They don't care if there's something better than what they're discontinuing.

It's not about something "better" it's just that Apple is not afraid to cannibalize a market to make a bigger push elsewhere. For example, the iPod to iPhone, most business' would have never cannibalized the iPod.  I would imagine that the Macbook Pro 17in is purchased mainly by the "Pro" market, and it appears Apple is slowly moving away from this space.  Apple's decision to move away from this market is a whole another thread, but not one I agree with. :)  I think apple needs to excel in this market rather than pull away.  I would think success there helps the consumer market. However, Apple beats it's own drum and thats why I like Apple. Don't want that to change.

• Reply 35 of 199

Quote:

Drop the ODD in the 13" Pro and what do you have? A MacBook Air with a slower hard drive. So if there's a redesign, there's little point to keeping the 13" Pro around. 

Tally, Tally, Tally !!  You gotta think a little before posting.

The 13" Air has been around for a while.  Yet, the 13" Pro is Apple's best-selling notebook.  Why do you think that is?  In a word - price.  As long as the cost of an SSD is significantly higher than the cost of an equivalent HDD, there will be a need for both a 13" Air and a 13" Pro.  Different needs of different market segments.

• Reply 36 of 199
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

I used a 17" PowerBook G4 for many years.  It was purchased for IT work and later was "retired" for personal use at home.  While the huge display was great for IT work (and gaming), the mass and cumbersome nature of the large laptop was always annoying.

These days I use a 13" MacBook Pro and it's more than plenty fo rmy needs.  Whenever I need more screen realestate, I simply plug in a monitor or TV.  Not having to lug around a large screen full-time is a good thing and makes travel and bedtime use much easier.

The 17" MacBook Pro won't be missed so long as they make its CPU/graphics options available on the 15" (and maybe also the 13"!).  People that need a big screen are likely the same people using a keyboard and mouse/tablet at a desk and can simply plug in a monitor.

• Reply 37 of 199
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope it sticks around for those that want it but 17" MBP users do need to consider the possibility since it's always been their worst selling Pro notebook and consumers have been moving toward smaller and lighter machines.

I would bet against the end time being near but at some point the cost to produce the 17" MBP in relation to the number of buyers — how long you've been an Apple customer has no logical barring on their decision — will likely see it disappear.
  • Reply 38 of 199
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

As long as the cost of an SSD is significantly higher than the cost of an equivalent HDD…

This will be the case until the day spinning disk drives are discontinued. Apple doesn't have a history of waiting around for crap, nor should they.

• Reply 39 of 199

Hope not. My first MBP was a 15" and though it was a great first machine, the screen real estate was inadequate. A 17" screen is a necessity for me in a laptop. 

Really! The 17" MBP is too big and heavy? Fits perfectly in a backpack, unless you prefer the laptop fit in your little girl's pink backpack she carries her lunch to school in.

And it's 6.6 lb. It's only 6.6 lb. Really! Please. Lose the 20 lb of extra fat you carry around and hit the gym a couple of times a week. 

• Reply 40 of 199

IMHO I think this is how it will/ought to shake out.

MacBook Pro - 13", 15" & 17" all Ivy Bridge Quad-core, 13" using Intel HD4000, 15" & 17" using discrete GPU, all capable of 16GB RAM, SSDs from 128GB-512GB, 128GB standard on 13", 256GB standard on 15" & 17". 4GB standard on all. No ODD. All having Mag-safe, Gig ethernet, FW800, Thunderbolt & 2 USB3 capable ports. 17" to retain ExpressCard slot, 13" & 15" to retain SD slot. 17" to have 3 USB3 ports. All to have Retina displays.

MacBook Air - 11", 13" & 15" all Ivy Bridge Dual-core & using Intel HD4000. All with 4GB RAM up to  8GB RAM (BTO). SSDs throughout - 128GB on 11" & 13", 256GB standard on 15". No ODD. All having Mag-safe, Thunderbolt & 2 USB3 capable ports. 13" & 15" to have SD card slot. All using displays similar to today.

So in essence the main differences between the Air & Pro lines will be Quad-core, retina display, max RAM, more port Pro's & Dual-core, standard res, lower max RAM Air's.

Agree or not?