Real time mobile usage data sees iOS dominating Android

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

People use what they enjoy using. Nobody enjoys using Android.

This is very close to a troll since multiple customer satisfaction surveys have shown that Android users are largely happy with their devices.

Is Android customer satisfaction as high as iOS customer satisfaction? No, but to say that "Nobody enjoys using Android" is patently false.

• Reply 22 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Some day, if and when actual sales numbers are revealed (as Apple currently is the only one to do so in this sphere), we'll discover that Android's vaunted market share was badly exaggerated (48%? No way).

Until then, we'll have to contend with silly debates over made-up, piecemeal facts -- i.e., debates that will never end.

You callin' Andy Andy a liar? That's 850 million activations PER SECOND. image

• Reply 23 of 36
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

The data shown above lends support to the 48% number.

That's absurd. Plenty of android users enjoy using their devices.

Not if you measure marketshare in any meaningful way.  As a compatible mobile platform on what most people would consider smartphone hardware, it is nowhere near 48%.

• Reply 24 of 36
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Not if you measure marketshare in any meaningful way.  As a compatible mobile platform on what most people would consider smartphone hardware, it is nowhere near 48%.

Not sure what data you're reading or how you're reading it, but I'm referring to the graph posted above.

It's showing android (green) at slightly more than ~25%, iOS, split 3 ways-- iPhone (medium blue) at slightly less than ~25%, iPad (light blue) at ~40-45%, and the iPod touch (dark blue) at ~5%-- and all others (orange) at ~5%.

Ok, let's consider smartphone hardware. So remove the iPad and iPod touch from that graph.

What you're left with is Android and iPhone at roughly equal amounts, and a tiny bit of orange for everything else. That mirrors the 48% Android and 43% iPhone smartphone marketshare split that you and others are doubting.

• Reply 25 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The Chitika Insights study represents both Google Android OS and Apple iOS.  The actual device isn't necessarily important and isn't compared in this study, the number of unique ad impressions is measured.  While this may be upsetting to some, this is extremely valuable information for developers and advertisers to know which platform to target. ...

Yes, I can see the value of measuring ad impressions and comparing them by platform. I wasn't complaining about either Chitika's methodology or Nielsen's methodology. (Nor am I upset by Chitika's results; I'm an AAPL shareholder who's been enjoying Apple's products for over 30 years.) Rather, I was criticizing AppleInsider for comparing Chitika's numbers with the wrong set of market share numbers.

Let me try a slightly different approach. AppleInsider wrote:

Android is still leading the mobile market and recent numbersfrom Nielsen see Google's OS taking a steady 48 percent share of the market. Apple has been catching up and now holds a 43 percent stake at the expense of RIM's BlackBerry and other smaller smartphone operating systems.

But the Nielsen data that AppleInsider reported (see the article linked at "numbers" above) is just for the smartphone segment of the mobile market. If Nielsen had included tablets and MP3 players, as Chitika does, then Apple's market share would probably be significantly higher than 43%, since Android is relatively weak in those areas.

Thus, the data AppleInsider presented here does not support its statement that Apple owns "only a fraction of the mobile market share enjoyed by Android" -- not even if you count 43/48 as a fraction. That doesn't necessarily mean the statement isn't true (although I doubt it). That just means that AppleInsider made a rather careless error in reasoning.

• Reply 26 of 36
    <p> Seems to me that people are using their Android smartphones as regular phones and somehow enjoying paying $30 a month for something they don't use.</p>

I personally know at least 10 people walking around with android bricks not knowing what to do with them besides play angry birds and constantly charging them. The sets were sold to them but they did not realize what it entailed. I have helped a couple set up their email, but for the most part they don't use these things at all.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member

I believe that many Android user are similar to my dad. He is using his phone more as a dumb phone than anything else.

He wants to make calls, type some texts and take some snapshots of his grand children when no camera is near.

Absolutely no need for any data. No ads to be displayed on his phone.

That's why he has an Android: cheap phone with touch screen and acceptable camera and absolutely no need for data!

• Reply 28 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by copeland View Post

That's why he has an Android: cheap phone with touch screen and acceptable camera and absolutely no need for data!

What Android phone can you have that lets you not have a data plan?

• Reply 29 of 36
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Simple question;  What is a "mobile"?

• Reply 30 of 36
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What Android phone can you have that lets you not have a data plan?

I live in Austria. For some unknown reason we have really good rates on mobile phones.

The phone is paid up front at ~€80.- and then he has got a cheap plan with €-cent 4.9/min. In Austria you just pay when you call someone.

I have a two year contract with my iPhone with 2,100 free minutes 1,000 free texts and 3GB free data incl. tethering for € 30.- a month (pre tax).

• Reply 31 of 36
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

It would have been nice to see an overlay of iOS devices versus Android versus other to be able to correlate this. It would also be nice if AI clarified if this tool was for ALL traffic or just their ads -- if it is just their ads it is very hard to use this in any reasonable way.

• Reply 32 of 36
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

And where is Microsoft?  No where to be found.  I'll bet Steve Ballmer blows a head gasket when he sees these reports.  In fact, I haven't heard much out of Steve Ballmer in the news, he is awfully quiet these days.  I guess they don't have much to discuss.

you assume someone actually shows him this kind of data. M$ statistician probably manipulate the data to tell him a different story of how well M$ is doing

• Reply 33 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Everyone I know that (still) uses Android phones for the most part uses the Internet pieces of it minimally.  All for the same reasons... the user-experience is just downright horrible.  I've used them and while it's acceptable, I just shake my head in disappointment at how Google's standards are so low in terms of giving users a polished and efficient experience.  There's a reason their phones have such high-end specs because they need it just to make the gui-stuff tolerable, and even then it still sucks compared to iOS with "lesser" specs.  **** shame.

Similar experience, which is why I don't doubt Windows Phone has a chance unless Google follows through with cleaning up the forking issues.  Google is used to pushing beta products into the market that take off because they are such a cheap alternative, but looks like same issues with Android that when you get down to it you start to realize it really is beta & Google is more interested in pushing features than fixing issues.

• Reply 34 of 36
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Not sure if this would have an impact, but on Android's browser, you have the option to change the User Agent header. You can update it to make the requested website think you are on an iPhone, Android, Desktop, etc. Personally, I have my User Agent set as Desktop because I hate getting the mobile versions of sites when I'm on a 10+ inch screen. Because of this, my web surfing would not even show up in these mobile statistics. Makes one wonder how many other Android users may be doing the same.

• Reply 35 of 36
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Not sure if this would have an impact, but on Android's browser, you have the option to change the User Agent header. You can update it to make the requested website think you are on an iPhone, Android, Desktop, etc. Personally, I have my User Agent set as Desktop because I hate getting the mobile versions of sites when I'm on a 10+ inch screen. Because of this, my web surfing would not even show up in these mobile statistics. Makes one wonder how many other Android users may be doing the same.

Thank you for mentioning that.  Your statement reminded me that I use a User Agent on my Mac.  Makes me wonder how many Mac users may be doing the same.  I will assume that Macs are, in fact, 85% of the computer market which is in direct contrast to all those reporting that Apple Mac has approximately 6% market share.

• Reply 36 of 36
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Thank you for mentioning that.  Your statement reminded me that I use a User Agent on my Mac.  Makes me wonder how many Mac users may be doing the same.  I will assume that Macs are, in fact, 85% of the computer market which is in direct contrast to all those reporting that Apple Mac has approximately 6% market share.

Your comment makes it appear that you are talking over your knowledge level. What exactly is 'User Agent' for Mac and why would you use it? Your words of 'use a User Agent' seems to imply that it is some sort of 3rd party application, but if so, why are you comparing use of a 3rd party application that no one has heard of to a simple settings change on a default stock Android browser? I know that you have the ability to change your user agent header in Safari, but it is on a site by site basis in the Develop menu.

Also, what would be the reason for changing your HTTP request header on a Mac? Are you trying to make a web server believe that you are surfing on IE instead of Safari??? As stated previously, the purpose for changing your user agent header on an Android tablet is to avoid being served mobile versions of websites, and well known in the Android community.

Considering that the user agent string is how Chitika is deriving these figures that vary so vastly from other analysis such as Nielsen, I would think that this topic would be very relevant to the conversation.