One in five Macs harboring Windows malware - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    charlituna wrote: »
    So why haven't they set up their software to find and remove it. They talk like it is there allowed to run free thanks to the stupid Mac users. but isn't the real fault that they haven't done anything with their software,which folks were 'responsible' enough to install. </p>

I run Sophos and they DO have their software setup to detect and remove treats that ONLY affect the Windows side. I see this at least a few times a week in the form of an email attachment (always an exe) on junk email. Sophos alerts me to the threat and as I have it set to automatically cleanup, it does so. I might add that Sophos must be set to remove threats automatically, but it will ALWAYS alert you to the problem.

david
  • Reply 22 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyaron View Post

What anti-virus software do you all recommend? (or none?)

You have the right answer right there in your question!

• Reply 23 of 56
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

Quote:

Some of us are forced by our employers' policies to run anti-virus software. Right now I'm running ClamXav because it's the least intrusive solution, and that "free" price tag doesn't hurt either. But I fear they're going to make me change to Symentec later this year. So much for system performance....

• Reply 24 of 56
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

What they said :

The firm noted that Windows malware on Macs will not cause any symptoms, unless users utilize Apple's Boot Camp software to run Windows in addition to OS X.

SO, if you utilise Bootcamp and you have windows malware somewhere on OSX you WILL be infected.

This is NOT true. Unless you install some extra software, the Mac partition is READ-ONLY when running windows from bootcamp. So even if windows becomes hosed from downloading a virus, there is no possible way your Mac can become infected.

The only way I can think of that you can even actually infect a windows machine is if you download something on your mac that has a virus with it, and then you send it along to someone else via email or whatever. Which is essentially the same thing as if they downloaded the virus themselves. I don't see how the mac contributes to the problem. It's windows users that don't have protection that are at fault from bad downloads, NOT macs. The mac is a carrier, its not the source of the infection.

• Reply 25 of 56
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nyet. Nein. Nope. Don't. Bother.

While I agree, I believe it is important to ensure your system isn't openly inviting malware.  There are a few ways that will help secure your Mac.

• Ensure you have your system set to automatically perform Software Updates

• Disable automatic Log in

• Use long (minimum of 8 characters), complex (combinations of caps, numbers and special characters), unique passwords for each application or website (1Password for password management)

• Do not use an Administrator account as your default account

• If you use your Mac in a public location (your worksite) ensure you lock your computer when stepping away from your computer

• Use FileVault to encrypt your data on your computer

• Activate the Firewall (You may use a third party application to configure such as NoobProof)

• Use a third party Firewall such as Little Snitch for very fine grain control

• If you are concerned about privacy on the Internet use tracker blockers (AdBlock, Ghostery, Safari's Do Not Track option, Do Not Track Safari extension)

• Deactivate the Safari setting "Open safes files after downloading" 

• Activate "warn me when visiting fraudulent websites" in Safari (TrafficLight provides a third party option as a Safari extension)

• Disable Java in Safari

• Change the default SSID in your Wi-Fi settings and disable SSID broadcasting

• Use WPA encryption for Wi-Fi rather than WEP

• Disable or remove Adobe Acrobat Reader

• Disable Adobe Flash or use a Flash block plugin (Click to Flash)

• If you are concerned about DNS spying, spoofing or man-in-the-middle attack use DNSCrypt

• If you are seriously concerned about privacy on the Internet then use NetShade advanced proxy server for anonymous browsing 

• Reply 26 of 56
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

eh, naw..

What they said :

The firm noted that Windows malware on Macs will not cause any symptoms, unless users utilize Apple's Boot Camp software to run Windows in addition to OS X.

SO, if you utilise Bootcamp and you have windows malware somewhere on OSX you WILL be infected.  Thats a bit of a fucking leap, but its what they said.

Then they said

While one in five Macs were found to have Windows malware, just 2.7 percent of machines studied by Sophos were infected with malware specifically tailored to OS X. And nearly all of that malware ??75.1 percent ? came in just one form: "Flshplyr," a variant of the "Flashback" Trojan.

1 in 5 macs in the study apparently had windows malware on them, this has nothing to do with bootcamp.  They were stating, as per their original point that Mac users unknowingly were carrying windows malware, not that they were running it etc.

I agree that this is oddly worded (if not outright illogical). Having said that, the situation is different if one were running Windows under Parallels or VMWare.

Also, although I am in the camp that savvy Mac users have little to worry about, I believe it is misleading to categorically inform others that some form of anti-malware protection is unnecessary. Sure, abstaining from questionable installation is very effective prevention (also true on Windows 7 systems, BTW). But some folks here take care of more than their own machines.  They cannot tell their company that the best corporate policy to malware protection is to stop being idiots. To continue taking or implying that stand is to mislead, IMO.

• Reply 27 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nyet. Nein. Nope. Don't. Bother.

While I agree, I believe it is important to ensure your system isn't openly inviting malware.  There are a few ways that will help secure your Mac.

Ensure you have your system set to automatically perform Software Updates

Disable automatic Log in

Use long (minimum of 8 characters), complex (combinations of caps, numbers and special characters), unique passwords for each application or website (1Password is a great third party application)

If you use your Mac in a public location (your worksite) ensure you lock your computer when stepping away from your computer

Use FileVault to encrypt your data on your computer

Activate the Firewall (You may use a third party application to configure such as NoobProof)

Use a third party Firewall such as Little Snitch for very fine grain control

If you are concerned about privacy on the Internet use tracker blockers (AdBlock, Ghostery, Safari's Do Not Track option, Do Not Track Safari extension)

Deactivate the Safari setting "Open safes files after downloading" 

Activate "warn me when visiting fraudulent websites" in Safari (TrafficLight provides a third party option as a Safari extension)

If you are concerned about DNS spying, spoofing or man-in-the-middle attack use DNSCrypt

If you are seriously concerned about privacy on the Internet then use NetShade advanced proxy server for anonymous browsing 

Sheesh.  That's a lot.  Most Windows users don't need to do all that!

• Reply 28 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

This is NOT true. Unless you install some extra software, the Mac partition is READ-ONLY when running windows from bootcamp. So even if windows becomes hosed from downloading a virus, there is no possible way your Mac can become infected.

The only way I can think of that you can even actually infect a windows machine is if you download something on your mac that has a virus with it, and then you send it along to someone else via email or whatever. Which is essentially the same thing as if they downloaded the virus themselves. I don't see how the mac contributes to the problem. It's windows users that don't have protection that are at fault from bad downloads, NOT macs. The mac is a carrier, its not the source of the infection.

After further reflection, I think that's what the article says. The Mac is a carrier. So if someone sends out an email which is infected with a Windows virus and one of the recipients is a Mac user, they can forward that email to other Windows users without becoming infected themselves.

Since that's what they article appears to be saying, I have to wonder what the big deal is. Are Macs supposed to magically remove all viruses - even those that don't infect them? If the Windows users are so concerned, they should take steps to ensure that their system is protected.

• Reply 29 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Which probably explains why there are so many millions of infected Windows computers out there.

Not to mention, that Mac users don't NEED to do that, either. It's just that if a Mac users wants to go out of his way to protect Windows users because they're so vulnerable to infection, those are the optional things that can be done. None of them is necessary.

• Reply 30 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Which probably explains why there are so many millions of infected Windows computers out there.

Not to mention, that Mac users don't NEED to do that, either. It's just that if a Mac users wants to go out of his way to protect Windows users because they're so vulnerable to infection, those are the optional things that can be done. None of them is necessary.

Exactly.  I just happen to be extremely security conscious.  I enable virtually identical security settings on every customer's Microsoft Windows system.

• The Wi-Fi recommendations apply to anyone using Wi-Fi.

• As far as Adobe Flash and Java are concerned those products are riddled with vulnerabilities and use of such should be criminal.

• Concerning firewalls, Microsoft Windows has built-in firewalls and many third party security applications provide additional firewalls.

• DNSCrypt?  How many people use DNS encryption (other than me)?

• Reply 31 of 56
    How many layers of aluminum foil should my hat be made of in order to keep me safe?
  • Reply 32 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Correction:

Most Windows users don't need to do all that!

To be fair however, most OS X users don't do those things either. And yet, the percentage of infected Windows devices is much higher than the percentage of "infected" OS X devices.

However, replace the OS X specific names/terms with Windows relevant ones, and yes, they should ... they very, very should do every one of those things ... and then a few more. Then they'll only be a few orders of magnitude more likely [than OS X users] to have malicious software on their device(s).

• Reply 33 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Sophos is actually pretty good anti-virus despite what you may read above.  Sophos is free and no one should ever *pay* for anti-virus that's for certain. 

*ALL* anti-virus companies subsist by spreading FUD a bout viruses and malware.  They have to to maintain their market.  If they don't scare folks with over the top stories about threats, no one would use their stuff. 

• Reply 34 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

“Infected?” Do they mean “sitting in your un-emptied spam mailbox”? Infected these Macs are not! It’s like saying one in five children have a rust problem because they got rained on today.

All that’s need to responsibly NOT pass on to your contacts an infected email attachment from some stranger is to NOT pass on to your contacts an infected email attachment from some stranger. Which you wouldn’t do anyway, even if you thought it was “harmless” junk mail.

Or is it that their Windows partition is infected & Sophos found that malware on their NTFS partition.  That's hardly the same as the Mac being infected & is in fact no different than any other PC that is infected with malware.

There is no way for Macs to spread malware for Windows that I'm aware of, though if you run Office for Mac you can spread Windows viruses in documents without knowing.  

Malware doesn't replicate itself like a virus does, if you have it worst case is it's using your machine as a server & since it's Windows malware it's absurd to accuse Mac users who have it on their drive of spreading it.

• Reply 35 of 56

like Earl replied I am taken by surprise that someone able to profit $8213 in one month on the computer. have you seen this web site http://keyfind.us/0h

• Reply 36 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

Correction:

Most Windows users don't need to do all that!

To be fair however, most OS X users don't do those things either. And yet, the percentage of infected Windows devices is much higher than the percentage of "infected" OS X devices.

However, replace the OS X specific names/terms with Windows relevant ones, and yes, they should ... they very, very should do every one of those things ... and then a few more. Then they'll only be a few orders of magnitude more likely [than OS X users] to have malicious software on their device(s).

What he is really saying is that Microsoft Windows lack a large number of security features since most of the list was simply activating or ensuring that a security setting is active.

So, Microsoft Windows security fails in these areas?:

• Automatic software updates

• Disk Encryption

• Firewalls

• Ads can't be blocked

• No warnings when visiting (possibly) fraudulent websites

• "Safe files" are automatically opened after downloading

• Java can't be disabled

• Adobe Flash can't be disabled

• Adobe Acrobat Reader can't be disabled or removed

• No option to use WPA rather than WEP

• Use of proxy servers isn't allowed

This explains why I see so many customers with viruses on Microsoft Windows.  I probably wouldn't have a business today without all the vulnerabilities plaguing Microsoft Windows.

• Reply 37 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sophos is actually pretty good anti-virus despite what you may read above.  Sophos is free and no one should ever *pay* for anti-virus that's for certain. 

*ALL* anti-virus companies subsist by spreading FUD a bout viruses and malware.  They have to to maintain their market.  If they don't scare folks with over the top stories about threats, no one would use their stuff. 

I don't think the issue of viruses & malware is overblown for PCs, I think it's actually quite serious.  It is overblown for Macs, though it's also under recognized by Apple so there is a lot of blame to go around.  Stopping malware completely will always be impossible so long as there are users who simply refuse to practice any caution when surfing the web.  Even with the new features of Mountain Lion restricting apps to appstore only or even allowing signed apps there will be people who throw caution to the wind and set it wide open so they can install that fun smiley faces app.  I've worked on people's computers who just clicked accept on any pop-up that came up without even glancing at it, I pretty much knew that I'd be back the next month to clean their computer off again.  You have to take every threat from the web very seriously, if you think you don't have time to exercise caution then you must be willing to admit to yourself you consider ID theft or data loss an acceptable risk.

• Reply 38 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sophos believes that Mac owners should be "a responsible member of society" and ensure that their system is not infected with any Windows malware.

This is a bunch of horseshit. If they want to provide Mac users with Windows malware detection free of charge, then great: I might consider it, but I have no need or want to subsidize the Windows environment (or buy unnecessary malware detection products). Microsoft needs to get their house in order and it's simply not my responsibility to gum up my system with their bogus crapware for the sake of alleviating issues that can't seem to fix themselves. Should I be running Amiga malware detection software too? Does Sophos believe that Windows users should go out and buy a Mac-specific malware detection suite also?

This is laughable.

• Reply 39 of 56
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

"One in five Macs are harboring Windows malware "

Sharing is caring! Spread the love! ;)

How old are you?

I might not like my neighbour's choice of car but I would not stand by and watch a gang of kids trash it.

On reflection, your suggestion is akin to phoning the kids and saying "hey my neighbour is out- why not swing by and trash his car whilst I watch you and get a hard on?"

Previously, I had assumed that crayon (signature) boy had been deprived of oxygen at birth, seemingly he is not the only one.... 

• Reply 40 of 56

This is just sad... Trying to sell malware protection to Mac users for Windows malware...