Rumor: iPhoto '12 for Mac coming this summer with features from iOS

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    richwrichw Posts: 2member

Good points. I am interested in a replacement for iWeb. Any word on that…at all? Seems NO ONE has a viable replacement with the feature set, ease of use and integration that Apple demonstrated with iWeb. 

• Reply 22 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    richw wrote: »
    <p> Good points. I am interested in a <strong>replacement for iWeb.</strong> Any word on that…at all? Seems NO ONE has a viable replacement with the feature set, ease of use and integration that Apple demonstrated with iWeb. </p>

Totally agree with you there. For simple stuff it is great.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    richwrichw Posts: 2member

I thinkI got a lot out of its capabilities on my extensive nature website (www.njnaturenotes.com). There IS a lot you can do with it if you're creative. What's the alternative with this ease of use and integration? 

• Reply 24 of 37

Apple needs to fix iPhoto for iOS.  Manually-changed dates entered on the Mac version of iPhoto don't come across to the iOS version.

• Reply 25 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just to clarify for the people who don't know who you are, that's not what Apple's doing. For heaven's sake.

Well it does look as though Apple is transitioning away from the pro app Aperture in favor of this consumer friendly, featureless (pro features that is) app. 

• Reply 26 of 37
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Yep, an update to iPhoto is a given, although where the heck the new version of iWork got to I'll never know, talk about long in the tooth......

• Reply 27 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

That would be brilliant.  There's many things that could be detected via software and suggestions could be made.

Things like "The backlighting is so strong that the faces are shadowed.  Try retaking with a darker background so the subjects are brighter."  or "you have centered the subject.  Try putting the subject 1/3 of the way into the frame instead for a stronger composition."  

I don't know if AI is good enough yet to be of a lot of help, but maybe some basic stuff could be done.

How about "The whole scene is beige.  A brighly colored object could be a focal point"?  or "everything is small.  Try zooming in on some objets, in order to provide a stronger subject and less visual clutter"?  Is that stuff possible yet?

Because there are a million YouTube videos out there that explain this as well as free tutorials. Why make an already not great app that much worse? Not a smart idea...

• Reply 28 of 37
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

He did nothing to deserve an infraction. It's a valid question.  Get off your power trip or people will find a blog where the mods don't need to get over themselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

infraction given.  This post serves nothing but to be an incendiary target.   We value insightful commentary here even if it runs 

counter to what Apple fans like but look at your post here and ask yourself "what value did I bring"  

I think you'll find the answer too close to zero.  

• Reply 29 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

He did nothing to deserve an infraction. It's a valid question.

I seriously hope you're joking, considering the source and the context.

Quote:

Get off your power trip or people will find a blog where the mods don't need to get over themselves.

I seriously hope you're joking. image You want to talk "power trip mods", talk about MacRumors' mods.

• Reply 30 of 37

They just added the beam wifi feature to iPhoto for iOS...allowing users to beam photos from an iOS device to any other device running iPhoto on the network.  Via wifi I can now transfer a single photo without using photo stream.  I am sure they will add this same feature to the new iPhoto.

• Reply 31 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Presumably Aperture would get similar iCloud based galleries, hopefully with pro templates for business use rather than home style ones. I'd be happy to pay for this if it were reasonable.

I hope Aperture gets the ability to stream photos to the ATV just like iPhoto. While this feature may be more consumer based, I can see some Pros using it to display client pictures on a HDTV.

(Even better, stream photo galleries to the iPad)

The lack of this feature is the only thing that kept me from switching to Aperture ages ago. I use Aperture 3 now, but miss this feature.

• Reply 32 of 37
    So even Apple is copying Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I hope Aperture gets the ability to stream photos to the ATV just like iPhoto. While this feature may be more consumer based, I can see some Pros using it to display client pictures on a HDTV.

(Even better, stream photo galleries to the iPad)

The lack of this feature is the only thing that kept me from switching to Aperture ages ago. I use Aperture 3 now, but miss this feature.

How would a pro do this without their client having an ATV? I tend to keep my photos on my iPad and use the "Retina Display" as the viewing device. Again, why make a complicated app even more complicated? In case you missed it Aperture is a resource hog and is miles behind Lightroom at this moment. Unless Apple releases a major upgrade to Aperture soon, I am afraid I will have to move over to Adobe which seems to view their pro apps as viable.

• Reply 34 of 37
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Why not just kill OSX all at once?  Why this slow and painful transition to iOS on the desktop?

There is plenty to differentiate the two OSs. iOS is after all a subset of OS X with some touch specific controls that don't really make sense for OS X.

I have differing uses for both and have owned a Mac since Early Mar 1984. It has changed a lot and is a powerhouse now. iOS is not intended to be able to manage projects within projects or multi-million lines of code compiles.

I think you are way off base in saying " Why this slow and painful transition to iOS on the desktop?".

• Reply 35 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

How would a pro do this without their client having an ATV? I tend to keep my photos on my iPad and use the "Retina Display" as the viewing device. Again, why make a complicated app even more complicated? In case you missed it Aperture is a resource hog and is miles behind Lightroom at this moment. Unless Apple releases a major upgrade to Aperture soon, I am afraid I will have to move over to Adobe which seems to view their pro apps as viable.

I'm talking about clients who go into a Pro's office/showroom. Not a Pro who visits a client in their home/workplace.

How is viewing the photos on ATV, ala iPhoto, making Aperture more complicated? 

While Aperture may be a resource hog, it works well enough for our needs (I'm not a pro), especially with plugins from Topaz labs.

• Reply 36 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I'm talking about clients who go into a Pro's office/showroom. Not a Pro who visits a client in their home/workplace.

How is viewing the photos on ATV, ala iPhoto, making Aperture more complicated? 

While Aperture may be a resource hog, it works well enough for our needs (I'm not a pro), especially with plugins from Topaz labs.

Sorry for the delay to your reply. Was a bit busy...

1.Fair enough but usually I have seen most situations where a client might see your site and you go to THEIR office with your portfolio. But okay.

2. I see Aperture as one massive resource hog. It just is. Has been this way from day one it seems. Adding anything to it will only make it worse.

3. Aperture is missing some major features that LR has that are needed by pros, advanced enthusiast, etc... Aperture is simply not up to LR's standard...

• Reply 37 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Sorry for the delay to your reply. Was a bit busy...

1.Fair enough but usually I have seen most situations where a client might see your site and you go to THEIR office with your portfolio. But okay.

2. I see Aperture as one massive resource hog. It just is. Has been this way from day one it seems. Adding anything to it will only make it worse.

3. Aperture is missing some major features that LR has that are needed by pros, advanced enthusiast, etc... Aperture is simply not up to LR's standard...

I found that Aperture does indeed stream to the ATV. You need to go to the Advanced Menu option in iTunes and under "Choose Photos to Share" you can select Aperture.

Not that obvious, but it's there. 

As for resources, I've found that Aperture has used up to 8GBs of my 12GB memory. Hasn't been an issue yet, but it will be interesting to see what happens when I import 46,000 images into it. :-)