Apple to kick off 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    marcusj0015marcusj0015 Posts: 200member

Yeah, But SVG's are huge files compared to PNG, and they take ALOT of processing power. :/ It would be awesome if it happened though.

• Reply 62 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Yeah, But SVG's are huge files compared to PNG, and they take ALOT of processing power.

Are they? Do they? You can't just go by viewed size; you have to go by "comparable resolution". In terms of file size, I'd imagine SVG is far smaller than PNG would be at that level of quality. Though I don't know about processing power required to open them. I've just never had trouble with any. 

• Reply 63 of 70
    marcusj0015marcusj0015 Posts: 200member

There are no "Quality levels" with PNG< they're ALL lossless, and SVG is about ~200kb, depending on detail, a comperable PNG is about ~20kb.

• Reply 64 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

There are no "Quality levels" with PNG< they're ALL lossless, and SVG is about ~200kb, depending on detail, a comperable PNG is about ~20kb.

I don't believe we're talking about the same thing, and that's quite probably my fault.

I'm saying you have to look at equal visible quality in PNG and SVG and base their file sizes off of that.

As for 'no quality levels', tell that to Adobe.

• Reply 65 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Vector support is already used by Apple in the form of PDF for resolution independent icons - PDF is good in that it can embed more than just vector paths. They have support for SVG natively in webkit so it's already available to any webkit view. Canvas is hardware-accelerated though. Even though it renders to a bitmap, any vectors drawn inside will scale.

In terms of size, SVG etc are uncompressed so they can be big but you can gzip SVG content (.svgz) or for Canvas, just use a Javascript compressor. A 2048 x 1536 pixel PNG can be quite large. Take, even the following vector:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Eiffel_tower.svg

It's about 260-270KB. A PNG version of that at 2048 x 1536 is about 270KB. The gzipped SVG is only 40KB.

They have different uses though. JPG for photos, SVG/Canvas for items than can be drawn with paths and may require transforms e.g maps or animation, PNG for items that should be lossless or require an alpha channel but have too much detail for vectors or have no vector representation.

The technology is already here, I think WWDC will just be talking about using it more and the benefits such as having scalable UIs across phones and tablets.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

1. If you don't like them, don't use them.  Most Android users I know list Widgets as their top feature and why they won't use an iPhone.  So just because YOU don't like them, doesn't mean you aren't in the minority.

2. How is biometrics worse security than a PIN?  You think someone is going to cut off your finger or eye to hack into your phone?

12.  If by "one of those" you mean "one of the majority" then you would be correct.  Take a look at ALL of the other smartphones and you'll see that they are trending towards larger screens.  Since phones with larger screens are selling in larger numbers, the natural conclusion is that it's what people want.  Even if you don't.

14.  Again, that's just your perspective.  Another perspective is that if I sent a call right to VM, the other person knows this.  So if I can send them a courtesy text while still on my other call, it shows I'm not blowing them off.

17.  Not to my knowledge as these are Android innovations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. Well there's that. What about the rest of us?

2. Ah, you mean worsened security.

7. Nope. Legitimate worry.

10. Nope. Common sense.

12. Ah, you're one of those. image

13. Seems rather arbitrary, don't you think?

14. That's idiotic. I'd be offended if you responded to my call with a text, and I certainly wouldn't call again. Costing me freaking money with that crap.

15. Yeah, that'd be nice.

16. Hmm. It would depend on the data, I guess.

17. Can't they already do that?

• Reply 67 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

1. If you don't like them, don't use them.  Most Android users I know list Widgets as their top feature and why they won't use an iPhone.  So just because YOU don't like them, doesn't mean you aren't in the minority.

2. How is biometrics worse security than a PIN?  You think someone is going to cut off your finger or eye to hack into your phone?

12.  If by "one of those" you mean "one of the majority" then you would be correct.  Take a look at ALL of the other smartphones and you'll see that they are trending towards larger screens.  Since phones with larger screens are selling in larger numbers, the natural conclusion is that it's what people want.  Even if you don't.

14.  Again, that's just your perspective.  Another perspective is that if I sent a call right to VM, the other person knows this.  So if I can send them a courtesy text while still on my other call, it shows I'm not blowing them off.

17.  Not to my knowledge as these are Android innovations.

1. You're implying that users could actually turn them off. Just give me live tiles.

2. No. They don't need to. They can use a PICTURE of me, or even their own faces.

12. If by "one of the majority" you mean "nowhere near", then you'd be correct. Take a look at all of the other smartphone… SALES… and you'll see that people are just dandy buying iPhones.

14. Your phone beeps. "Oh, could you hang on; I have another call." *beep* "Hey, can I call you right back? This is important. Thanks." *beep* "Apologies, where were we?"

• Reply 68 of 70
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

1. Yep.

2. rumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumbleRUMBLERUMBLERUMBLERUMBLE

3. No.  

4. … 

5. They'll have been out for about a month.

6. Same with these, unless the Air chips take longer, then both might come out the week before WWDC.

Not really. They're not going back to stripes any time soon. I rather like the single color, minimalistic design.

I can't believe they'd wait, given that the iMac should easily be out by then and the MacBook Pro chips will have been out for over a month. We haven't had new hardware at WWDC for six years, so I can't imagine there being a reason for it. Except the Mac Pro, of course. It should show up at WWDC.

Can you please start to perma all dolts who refer to the sixth generation iPhone as iPhone 5?

• Reply 69 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Can you please start to perma all dolts who refer to the sixth generation iPhone as iPhone 5?

Oh, that's no bannable offense. I fought the fight early and we seem to be winning; the key now is to just correct it when you see it.

If they keep calling it that after October, then we can give 'em a good-natured ribbing about it. Unless they KEEP doing it, then… what, make sure they're not trolling, I guess.

Why do I get the feeling that the only thing the anti-Apple brigade will be able to troll about the next iPhone is to keep calling it "iPhone 5"? I guess that's me being too optimistic about the specs. image

• Reply 70 of 70

Quote:

Are they? Do they? You can't just go by viewed size; you have to go by "comparable resolution". In terms of file size, I'd imagine SVG is far smaller than PNG would be at that level of quality. Though I don't know about processing power required to open them. I've just never had trouble with any. 

With Gzip compression, it becomes a much closer fight for the crown between SVG and PNG, and the render times I would imagine are far slower than PNG, having to calculate where each pixel is, and how the interact, instead of just displaying them like PNG.