One in four iPad purchases are made by first-time Apple owners

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Does this mean that these people didn't even have an iPod? image

I'm not sure. I am almost surprised their figure isn't even higher. The ipad seems to have become one of those iconic devices much like the ipod was early on.

• Reply 22 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I'm not sure. I am almost surprised their figure isn't even higher. The ipad seems to have become one of those iconic devices much like the ipod was early on.

I'm not so sure.  I feel like a lot of people still don't have iPads as it doesn't really fit a mold of a device with obvious practical uses.  In the case of the iPod, it was a device that filled a role that already existed (in the form of walkmans and portable cd players) and leveraged modern technology to really take the idea of a portable music player to the next level. 

The iPad on the other hand is creating its own space.  

However, I think that perception ties in somewhat to the statistic as well.  As it's carving that space, I think a lot of non-Apple consumers are seeing unique uses for the device.  Of course that is assuming that this statistic truly is an anomaly, and not just pointing out a figure that isn't particularly unusual but sounds shocking.  I mean, what are the normal rates of preexisting company buyers for products like this?

Case in point is the quote: "82 percent of iPod owners polled said the media player was their first Apple product"  So here the article is, presenting the 1/4 statistic like it's remarkable, when not too long ago the same statistic would have said 82% of buyers instead of 25%.  Obviously Apple's place in the market is very different then from now, but I think this figure is pretty worthless without more context.