Australian government questions Apple over digital content 'price gouging'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member

They are asking many the same questions in Canada where its dollar is also stronger than the U.S. one. Pricing can be complex, and many factors can be involved.

• Reply 22 of 60
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It wasn't always like that and there is no guarantee that it will stay like this. It is not a big deal for customers to pay a dollar or two more but it is for developers. Before Apple adjusted their rates a year or so ago I used to get less money from other countries for the same apps. You have to look at this from the other party perspective as well.

No, actually you don't need to look at this from the other side. Pricing is something that has to be done at the market level. Every global company selling goods and services defines a pricing corridor that is viable for across markets. Regulators in countries are not going to let companies gouge customers. Yes, exchange rates change but in the AUD/USD situation the change has been drastic over the last 6-7 years. Companies can't just leave the old pricing model in place and be surprised when regulators step in.

• Reply 23 of 60
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

No, actually you don't need to look at this from the other side. Pricing is something that has to be done at the market level. Every global company selling goods and services defines a pricing corridor that is viable for across markets. Regulators in countries are not going to let companies gouge customers. Yes, exchange rates change but in the AUD/USD situation the change has been drastic over the last 6-7 years. Companies can't just leave the old pricing model in place and be surprised when regulators step in.

Apple just updated their apps price matrix few months ago. They did lower the Australian app store pricing more than 30% based on exchange rates. Do you expect them to change their pricing every month?

• Reply 24 of 60

Quote:

Maybe they have to  something like currency exchange rate and how it affects pricing?!

Perhaps it might have been a good idea for you to check the exchange before making such a comment?!

• Reply 25 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Why are they singling out Apple for this?  

Apple can charge anything they want.  

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.  Problem solved.

They aren't, Microsoft is also included in this.

• Reply 26 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I'm truly happy for Australia and all Australians.

It appears that all of the other important issues that country and its citizens face have been resolved so that the government is now able to focus on the pricing (and alleged price "gouging") of things like music, games and applications for the iPod and iPhone.

Well done Australia!

Uhh so you think international companies charging double, if not many time more, for digitally downloaded content is not an important issue? Maybe if it was happening to you then you might give a crap.

• Reply 27 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Yeah, so... there has always been markup associated with the importing of goods.  There are all sorts of middle-men along the way that demand a cut.  Australia is the furthest from anywhere and most likely to feel the brunt of this effect.

So it sounds like the Australian government just wants everyone to do the math for them, on the record.  But... then what?  Will they try to enforce how much of a cut everyone gets?  Try to minimize the number of middle-men?  Don't we usually depend on the major tenets of capitalism to naturally bring these facets of business into check?

Well sure, I don't know anything about government, but I'm prone to think that this sort of thing is a public show to appease the masses and to make the government look better.  This won't amount to much.

Umm how does this apply to downloaded content? This is what is being investigated.

• Reply 28 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

"Why are they singling out Apple for this?  

Apple can charge anything they want.  

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.  Problem solved."

How about the other way around? Let the Autralian government set/regulate the prices and then Apple can decide whether or not to continue doing business down under. Why not let all governments set/regulate the price of everything? That's basically what some are proposing when they yammer on about fairness and entitlement and rights. Do people have a right to buy non-essential, optional products at a price they "feel" is fair? Price gouging on gasoline, water, food, housing is one thing. I believe there is no such thing as price gouging when it comes to entertainment like music and movies. Le the market decide.

• Reply 29 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I believe there is no such thing as price gouging when it comes to entertainment like music and movies. Le the market decide.

Probably because it's not happening to you I imagine....

• Reply 30 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Perhaps it might have been a good idea for you to check the exchange before making such a comment?!

Maybe you should check the exchange rate when Apple changed their price matrix before making such comment! Apple did reduce their overall Australian app store prices more than 25%.

• Reply 31 of 60
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Maybe they have to  something like currency exchange rate and how it affects pricing?!

Maybe it has something to do with the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA), our movie and software industries and book publishers who have fought for years to stop parallel imports and have a major influence in setting prices, which is what should be looked into.

Although the pricing is higher, it has improved in some area especially Apps which have lined up with American prices after our dollar gained parity.

Music prices suck, Jack White's new album is $9.99 in the US and $16.99 in Australia, we still pay $1.69 a song, the US pays $0.99.

• Reply 32 of 60

Quote:

Maybe you should check the exchange rate when Apple changed their price matrix before making such comment! Apple did reduce their overall Australian app store prices more than 25%.

I don't need to since I actually live in Australia and know what the exchange rate has been for the last couple of years. Reduced it 25% but it's still a lot more than the US pays so your argument has no weight.

• Reply 33 of 60

Quote:

I don't need to since I actually live in Australia and know what the exchange rate has been for the last couple of years. Reduced it 25% but it's still a lot more than the US pays so your argument has no weight.

Really?! Do you pay GST over that price you paid for that app? How much is that tax? The US prices do not include sales tax. 

• Reply 34 of 60

This is a good thing in my opinion but at least Australia gets the iBookStore.

How many years has it been going now and still nothing here in New Zealand. Same with TV content.

The weird thing about it is the NZ iTunes Store is actually run from Australia. Work that one out.

• Reply 35 of 60

Quote:

Actually for Apps it the same.

If Apple dropped their music prices to match the US, ARIA would step in whining on how unfair it is to "the artists".

Our pricing is higher because the pricing of physical media is higher and the old industry stalwarts do not want to compete with lower digital pricing, which they say would wipe out Australian industries.

I'm working on a new song:-

"torrents are free,

with iTunes they work quite,

nic-e-leee"

• Reply 36 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Adobe are the worst offenders by far.

I'll say. For a $1299 product they are charging $1400 more. At least, according to the article.

"Also mentioned in the story is Adobe, which announced its new Creative Suite 6 last week. The Standard Design version of the package costs $1,299, but customers in Australia will pay up to $1,400 more for the same software, the report said."
  • Reply 37 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'm working on a new song:-

"torrents are free,

with iTunes they work quite,

nic-e-leee"

Thief!

• Reply 38 of 60
    likkielikkie Posts: 43member

This headline of this story completely misrepresents the original SMH article which it apparently references.

It is NOT specifically about Apple.

Apple has NOT been questioned.

They MAY be INVITED to appear before a Parliamentary Enquiry along with other vendors who fall within the terms of reference of the enquiry.

The truth is that the Government has announced that they PLAN to setup an enquiry into alleged price gouging of digitally delivered content.  This isn't a law suit, no one is actually accused of anything.  This is the Government, on behalf of the Australian people (of which I am one), wanting some answers to a various legitimate questions.  Thats all!

With regard to Apple, The Parliamentary Enquiry will find, what I already know, that for Apps we pay essentially that same as our US brethren, give or take a little for exchange rates and taxes.

And that Music costs more here because of the different agreement Apple has with local music companies.

On the whole I think this article is rubbish which, at best, misrepresents the truth and at worst seems to attempt to foster some kind of AUS/US dissent.

• Reply 39 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Thief!

My song is called, "Fair use, a work of fiction".

• Reply 40 of 60

The australian consumer has been complaining about this for ever and largely been ignored...

We now have a government in trouble with extremely poor popularity ratings and a very slim majority in parliament, who are about to introduce a budget, and a new carbon tax.  To top this off there will be an election next year.  So perhaps they have announced this enquiry to divert attention from all the other issues that are not going well.