Walmart's $74 iPhone 4S discount was a 'pricing error' [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, and a little microSD card wallet to store and organize all the cards... You could even have a master "index" card so you could drill-down to the exact card holding a specific file, app or game...

I think you're onto something, Dick...

I hate it when I find a SD card amongst the junk on my desk and then realize it contains long forgotten photos of some long forgotten event.

• Reply 22 of 49
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe just a loss leader to attract new customers to the stores?

My thoughts exactly.  Anyone know who is the actual wholesale buyer from Apple? Is it AT&T or Walmart?

Either way, I assume AT&T pays a significant  "commission" to Walmart for the resulting contract. I'm guessing AT&T's kickbacks cover all costs at normal price, maybe even with some room for profit.

This new sale is probably a local loss leader to drum up business.

• Reply 23 of 49
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I think that since the US has had the iPhone 4S that they are selling them less because of the drop in demand so they can spurt short term sales until the iPhone 5 gets released.  Now, if Apple does what they have done in the past, when the iPhone 5 comes out, Apple will take the sweet spot iPhone 4S and offer that model after the release of the iPhone 5, because some people don't necessarily want or afford the top end models.

• Reply 24 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You forgot an M... microSD expansion.

I did indeed. And MicroUSB port. And MiniHDMI.

I think that a lot of budget minded music lovers would pass on any phone missing an SD card slot.  There's a big advantage for the manufacturer, in that they have a better chance of selling 16 Gigs of flash for $100 if they leave the card slot out.  But at least some people want the opportunity to add/swap data quickly, cheaply and with huge capacity.

• Reply 25 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What would the trolls say? "The iPhone 4S is being discounted because nobody wants a phone without <niche-attribute /> ?"

I think we can all agree that this is obviously a fire sale.

Maybe a fire sale in the sense of an overstock condition.  

Or maybe they want ot promote the store-in-a-store setups, and this is a good way to get Apple buyers to stop by.

We  don't have enough information to really know.  Could be a combo - They wanted a promotion, and picked this product due to stocking levels.

• Reply 26 of 49
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    (Sigh) For all the snooties who think that iPhones are to good to be sold at a low-life place like WalMart, here's the link for you!

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/
  • Reply 27 of 49
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Wow, this will save you save you $3 a month off your $85+/mo. cell phone bill. If that isn't exciting enough for you, you get to shop at Wall-Mart. Life is good. I wonder if these people will get a $4 fee added onto their bill for YGCP. You Got a Cheap Phone?

This. The real cost of the phone is buried in the monthly contract fee. For all we know, AT&T may be kicking money back to Wal*Mart for each iPhone contract activation.

I'm paying $35/mo for unlimited data and a few hundred minutes of voice with VirginMobile/Sprint. Yes, I have to actually buy the phone, but the cost of the phone is not hidden from me.

- Jasen.

• Reply 28 of 49

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You forgot an M... microSD expansion.

Yeah, and a little microSD card wallet to store and organize all the cards... You could even have a master "index" card so you could drill-down to the exact card holding a specific file, app or game...

Or maybe you buy a 64 gig card to supplement the 64 gigs in your  phone.  They are available cheap.  The  smaller capacities are ultra cheap.  

What you describe was necessary in the bad old days when cards were only a fraction of a gig in size.  Now it is optional, but it wouldn't be so terrible to take 64 gigs of movies with you on vacation on one card, with 64 gigs of music on another.  All while leaving your permanent stuff untouched in the main storage.

• Reply 29 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

UPDATE: This was an error on their part.

• Reply 30 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

So a loss if not a leader then ... LOL

p.s. using the new AI on an iPad sucks!
  • Reply 31 of 49
    cyberzombiecyberzombie Posts: 258member

Quote:

Maybe just a loss leader to attract new customers to the stores?

What he said.

• Reply 32 of 49
    gpdawesgpdawes Posts: 1member

Pricing error with all that pre printed advertising and display material.

If an error the only error is displaying it prematurely.

• Reply 33 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPDawes View Post

Pricing error with all that pre printed advertising and display material.

What 'pre-printed advertising'? Those are the shelf tags.

Quote:

If an error the only error is displaying it prematurely.

Five months prematurely.

• Reply 34 of 49
    jsyedinakjsyedinak Posts: 34member

Walmart in my area has always seemed suspicious when it comes to Apple Products. To this day in their case they display the Ipad1! The Ipods they display are also last years models. Clueless....

• Reply 35 of 49
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

So a loss if not a leader then ... LOL

p.s. using the new AI on an iPad sucks!

I was going to post *  that I thought it was odd that Apple was allowing Wal-Mart to offer a large discount...  Apple is quite firm about its MSRPs... only allowing small discount's.   It doesn't want four stores on every street corner competing for the lowest price... it lowers the perceived value of the product in the eyes of the buyer/public.

* I got busy doing manly things -- writing a Motion Template to add a Karaoke effect to FCP X.  I have a friend that makes music videos in several languages (Hindi, Japanese, French, English, Spanish... Boston).

When we had Apple stores we had to get prior approval for any but a small discount, say 2-5%...  Apple would rather you return the product to them (and would waive or reduce restocking fees) than have authorized dealers engaging in price wars.

I agree that the new AI site [mostly] sucks on an iPad...  But, the new iPad's excellent dictation compensates for most of the downside.

• Reply 36 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

I was going to post *  that I thought it was odd that Apple was allowing Wal-Mart to offer a large discount...  Apple is quite firm about its MSRPs... only allowing small discount's.   It doesn't want four stores on every street corner competing for the lowest price... it lowers the perceived value of the product in the eyes of the buyer/public.

* I got busy doing manly things -- writing a Motion Template to add a Karaoke effect to FCP X.  I have a friend that makes music videos in several languages (Hindi, Japanese, French, English, Spanish... Boston).

When we had Apple stores we had to get prior approval for any but a small discount, say 2-5%...  Apple would rather you return the product to them (and would waive or reduce restocking fees) than have authorized dealers engaging in price wars.

I agree that the new AI site [mostly] sucks on an iPad...  But, the new iPad's excellent dictation compensates for most of the downside.

Just can't get that dictation thing to work on my iPad 2 grrrrr ;)
  • Reply 37 of 49
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Or maybe you buy a 64 gig card to supplement the 64 gigs in your  phone.  They are available cheap.  The  smaller capacities are ultra cheap.  

What you describe was necessary in the bad old days when cards were only a fraction of a gig in size.  Now it is optional, but it wouldn't be so terrible to take 64 gigs of movies with you on vacation on one card, with 64 gigs of music on another.  All while leaving your permanent stuff untouched in the main storage.

iCloud.

• Reply 38 of 49
    jjcisn82jjcisn82 Posts: 1member

This doesn't surprise me at all. I work for Walmart and I am constantly doing price chances from the starting price to a rollback or home office price change and then back to the original price the very next day or my favorite clearance items going back to regular price but the item still being on clearance. Apparently there is a flaw in pricing system software. If only Walmart would use Macs haha.

• Reply 39 of 49
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

The iTV (Interactive TV) will be a powerful iOS STB that allows you to interact with a connected HDTV using companion iPads...

Apple will never release a product called 'iTV'. Maybe Apple HDTV, or the iPanel, but not iTV.

• Reply 40 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Apple will never release a product called 'iTV'. Maybe Apple HDTV, or the iPanel, but not iTV.

Sure they won't, mister "I live in the UK".