Apple testing Remote Desktop 3.6 with IPv6, new reporting attributes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple released a new developer preview of its Remote Desktop management software on Friday, bringing support for the IPv6 protocol and a host of new items available for fault reporting.

The Apple Remote Desktop 3.61 "Build 360A16" beta is required for compatibility with Macs running the upcoming OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and boasts the same features seen when it was originally released alongside the first developer preview of the new operating system.

Fixed from previous betas are screen control issues with NVIDIA graphics cards and OS X Mountain Lion, as well as reliability improvements when copying a duplicate item to and from a client. Certain tasks are now functional in the new build like "copy to computer," "create client installer," "upgrade client" and "chat," among others.

From the release notes:
Support for IPv6
Apple Remote Desktop supports the IPv6 protocol. You can add computers using an IPv6 address as well as view IPv6 addresses when performing a Get Info on the computer.

New Reporting Attributes
Apple Remote Desktop 3.6 can now report on several new attributes and settings about your Mac and the devices connected to it. Information about the following new items can be viewed when generating a System Overview Report:
? Battery
? Trackpad
? Thunderbolt
? DisplayPort
? Displays with Thunderbolt
Apple Remote Desktop 3.6

Known issues for the latest beta include a non-functioning "Share Screen" feature for Mountain Lion clients and the appearance of graphical artifacts during multi-observe window cube rotations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Well that's about time.

Now how about bringing IPv6 back to AirPort Utility? Not that I care; I still have to use the old utility because you chose to stop supporting 802.11g AirPort devices.

• Reply 2 of 6
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

Apple Remote Desktop needs to be completely rewritten.  It's been a useful app, but it needs a lot of work.  It crashes a lot and corrupts lists.

• Reply 3 of 6
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Apple Remote Desktop needs to be completely rewritten.  It's been a useful app, but it needs a lot of work.  It crashes a lot and corrupts lists.

I agree...its an absolute awesome app, when it works. I've had a couple of corrupt lists and now ever since upgrading to the latest version it crashes a lot. The ARD client also causes issues when remoting into OS X Lion Server via VNC where it locks up on the login screen. I've almost thought Apple has given up on this app. It would be nice if they'd just totally rewrite this app and call it Apple Remote Desktop 4. It would nice to also make it so ARD can remote into iOS devices as well. As someone who manages Macs, and iOS devices in a school district this would be a very nice feature. 

• Reply 4 of 6
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member

The worst part of this app by far is how it uses IP addresses to store information about computers on your network.

In a DHCP environment, this is obviously terrible. As a result, you regularly need to delete data otherwise it auto fails to connect.

Maybe one day they will use a physical MAC address to store this information.

• Reply 5 of 6
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Good idea, suggest it!:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/remotedesktop.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

The worst part of this app by far is how it uses IP addresses to store information about computers on your network.

In a DHCP environment, this is obviously terrible. As a result, you regularly need to delete data otherwise it auto fails to connect.

Maybe one day they will use a physical MAC address to store this information.

• Reply 6 of 6
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

I don't know about anyone else here but I've made many suggestions to the Apple Feedback link & have gotten no response nor have any of my requests been incorporated.  I made a lot of my requests for Apple Remote Desktop in 2005 & 2006.  I don't know what the **** Apple is doing with the feedback.  But my suggestions were constructive, polite, and pithy.