Apple extends MobileMe subscribers' free 20GB of iCloud storage until September

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Remember when iCloud was supposed to be this big new thing for Apple (to charge people money for)....  while providing basically no value.  LOL

No, I don't recall talk of iCloud ever being paid. Unless you're talking about just the upgrades, but you don't build a business model around that.

• Reply 82 of 113
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member

I abandoned apples storage offerings when it abandoned me. It doesn't deserve my patronage for a half-baked service.

I now use Dropbox for my online storage/hosting needs.

• Reply 83 of 113
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

Yeah well...  given that network speeds are about equal with 1998 level (I can remember getting 800k/sec in 1998) and files these days about about 1,000 times larger....  the whole idea is just stupid.  There, I said it.

• Reply 84 of 113
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member

What is the point of this?

You can't store anything in iCloud that is not specifically created by an app that links to iCloud - such as Pages.  You can't store arbitrary files of your own.  You can't store Microsoft Word, Excel files in iCloud.  The work-arounds were warned by Apple that they may not be supported.

The extra storage just sucks up and wastes your money.

I wish Apple would keep the iDisk feature of MobileMe.  This gave Apple a Drop-Box feature that they are now giving up for no reason.  Apple did not have to buy Drop-Box.  It already had it in the form of iDisk.

• Reply 85 of 113
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    And NO one has answered the question, 'if Apple offered 'free' Snow Leopard for some users to upgrade to, and then they HAD to immediately upgrade to lion (of which MANY COULD NOT DO) , what happens to them???.Everybody just seems to be ignoring this monster gulch that"s got to be breeched !!!!!

Got any suggestions??.
  • Reply 86 of 113
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I'm glad that Apple didn't buy Dropbox. One of its best features is that it's cross-platform.
  • Reply 87 of 113
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmamatic View Post

Why are you waiting for people to say they can't live without their iDisk? Anyone with any concern about that has been going to apple.com/feedback, scrolling down to the bottom, clicking on iCloud, then leaving a request to keep iDisk. I've done it every two weeks since June. What have you done to implore Apple to keep iDisk?

Out of curiosity, why don't you move to a better/faster syncing environment like Dropbox?  Dropbox is way faster than iDisk.  I resisted the change for a while, but have been blown away by the speed and robustness of Dropbox.

• Reply 88 of 113
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    richl wrote: »
    I'm glad that Apple didn't buy Dropbox. One of its best features is that it's cross-platform.

As is iCloud. As was MobileMe. As was iDisk. (not to mention iTunes, Safari, etc).

What makes you think that Apple would have dropped Windows support if they had bought Dropbox?
  • Reply 89 of 113
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmamatic View Post

Oh. You're one of those people. No need to post anything more. Clearly your opinion is the only valid thing on the Internet. I'm such a jerk. How did I not know that already?

HEY EVERYBODY! DEFER ALL COMMENTS TO SolipsismX. Stop having opinions of your own, they're not valid. Stop! Don't form that opinion. It's not valid. Regardless of how you work or how well things work for you YOU ARE WRONG.

Sorry. My bad.

What is "those people"?

Solipsey has never said anything like that.

If you think he (she or it) is wrong about something, speak up...it's what the forum is for.

• Reply 90 of 113
    What is "those people"?
    Solipsey has never said anything like that.
    If you think he (she or it) is wrong about something, speak up...it's what the forum is for.

Actually, Solipsism did say almost exactly what Suddeny Newton said. Go back to post #28 to see what SN was responding to.

Solipsism said flat out that he rejected anyone's opinion if they thought iDisk was OK. He believes that it's useless so anyone who disagrees with him is automatically wrong. Clearly, that's wrong since many people were happy enough with iDisk to want to see it retained in iCloud.
  • Reply 91 of 113
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'm still using iDisk even though I do have a Dropbox account. I always liked the way iDisk appeared as just another hd on SL but now in Lion you have to go find it in a menu so it is not as convenient. I need to start using Dropbox since the deadline for iDisk is approaching even though it may be a little later than first announced. I have not migrated to iCloud yet but I also use Back to My Mac almost daily so I need to get that sorted out pretty soon as well.
  • Reply 92 of 113
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you honestly think that a writer with a vocabulary of tens of thousands of words or a businessman who can navigate a complex financial planning investment application cannot be bothered to understand a relatively simple hierarchical file system which is extremely logical? Just driving around town and remembering where various streets and businesses are located is far more complex than a file system.

It may sound silly to you but ... yes.  I see it every day.  

It's not necessarily that the concept of a file system is beyond their ken, but more that they have trouble using it and don't want to use it or have to be forced to use it.  

These are generalisations of course but in my experience:

- almost all computer users keep their files in a big messy pile on the desktop.  

- almost no one but obsessive types even file things into folders more than one level deep. 

I see this as a parallel to the non-virtual world where large numbers of folks (and here I don't have a true sense of the numbers), keep their physical files and papers in a big messy pile on the physical desktop.  There are filing cabinets of course, but unless one has a secretary to do the filing for them, these generally are just a big storage area for "stuff I don't need to see anymore" and might as well be shoe boxes for most people.  

I see the computer in this sense, as a sort of "magic secretary" that keeps track of things and files them away for you.  If an OS can be developed (hint: iOS), that does all this filing for you and one doesn't have to worry about what folder anything is in beyond one level at the top ... why not?  It seems like a perfect magical solution to me.  

With a regular desktop OS one is sort of the "king/queen of one's own filing cabinet."  I would still argue that most people don't want to worry about that however and would opt for the magic secretary.   

• Reply 93 of 113
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    gazoobee wrote: »
     I would still argue that most people don't want to worry about that however and would opt for the magic secretary.   

I'm fine with the magic secretary option as long as I can opt out. That is my main complaint with iOS. That is why I don't use it for anything other than casual browsing and one liner emails.
  • Reply 94 of 113
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

can't store Microsoft Word, Excel files in iCloud.

Pretty sure those are issues with Microsoft not iCloud.

• Reply 95 of 113
    patranus wrote: »

Pretty sure those are issues with Microsoft not iCloud.

They are issues with Microsoft, but they're also issues with iCloud.

iCloud's usefulness depends on all apps (or, at least, all the ones you use) using the feature. Given how slowly many developers accept Apple's new features, that is a mistake. iCloud should be set up so it can be used whether or not the software developer supports it.
  • Reply 96 of 113
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Hey Solips, I'm curious as to why you picked Skydrive over Dropbox?
    I was a heavy iDisk user up until Apple decided to EOL it. I share your criticisms of it. Dropbox is so much more useable for me.
    So why Skydrive?

Well I don't know about the other person but I really like the online Office apps, every photo I take get's uploaded automaticly, the upload speeds are some of the fastest I've seen and you can mount any directory as a normal folder in Windows, OSX and Android. iCloud is getting better though, I can't wait till I can use it like a filemanger for my iPad. Hopefully iOS 6 brings that. 2OGB is awesome, so nice of them to do that. Though Box is still the winner with 50 GB.
  • Reply 97 of 113
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I use Dropbox. That was jragosta (post #4) that stated he choose SkyDrive.

I've tried all the ones I mentioned in a later post, and they all have their pros and cons, but I prefer Dropbox for reasons that come to do the user experience. Plus so many people I know use it and I have 9.5 GB of free space from signing people up for the service.

SugarSync offer the most features and versatility for users that want to micro-manage, as well as giving you a lot more free space than Dropbox (5GB v 2GB), but the user experience suffers greatly. I'd say Dropbox is to iOS as SugarSync is to Android but that's an insult to SugarSync.

SkyDrive gives you even more space with 7GB free and has nearly all the features that SugarSync does and a pretty good user experience to boot, including their Mac app. If you don't go with Dropbox then I say go with SkyDrive.

edit: Wow Found a great review of 13 different services (didn't know half of these existed) from The Verge from less than 2 weeks ago.

Sorry Solips... with all the dialogue going on between you and jragosta, I got it mixed up.  I have much more data than the 2GB free option so I decided to pay for the 50GB version.  It's used for my business so it's a write-off. :)  I also think they are the gold-standard for cloud storage.  iCloud has a lot of promise in terms of iOS App integration but for those that need more flexibility, I think Apple prefers folks like us go the 3rd-part route for that.  I'm okay with it.

Thanks for posting the link.  I didn't realize there were so many competitors out there.  That's a good thing!

• Reply 98 of 113
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I abandoned apples storage offerings when it abandoned me. It doesn't deserve my patronage for a half-baked service.

I now use Dropbox for my online storage/hosting needs.

I use Dropbox, MobileMe, iCloud, SkyDrive and any other free service that takes my fancy.

Since when did one have to exclusively use one service.

Maybe Apple could look into expanding the amount of storage they give, HTC offers 23 extra GB with Dropbox with the One X, Samsung will be offering 50 GB with the Galaxy 3 or III, although I wonder how many people will actually use that much.

• Reply 99 of 113
    jhromerorjhromeror Posts: 46member

You just can't compare an engineering team focused on 1 product vs. another that does multiple products. At some point SJ approached DrobBox, it was because he felt they made it better than Apple did with iDisk. I think everyone can recognize that and it would be very helpful if DropBox could fill the small gaps within OSX that iDrive will leave. I am sure Microsoft and Amazon won't be interested in doing that.

• Reply 100 of 113
    jhromeror wrote: »
    You just can't compare an engineering team focused on 1 product vs. another that does multiple products. At some point SJ approached DrobBox, it was because he felt they made it better than Apple did with iDisk. I think everyone can recognize that and it would be very helpful if DropBox could fill the small gaps within OSX that iDrive will leave. I am sure Microsoft and Amazon won't be interested in doing that.

Ultimately, that's undoubtedly what's going to happen. I would have preferred for Apple to continue to offer an iDisk solution (I really don't care whether they did it internally or bought Dropbox). But since they are apparently unwilling to do so, then people will have 4 choices:
    1. Settle for the limited capability of iCloud
    2. Don't do internet storage at all
    3. Use one of the third party services like Dropbox
    4. Use 'Back to my Mac' to achieve some of the same things or set up a server to do what iDisk or Dropbox do.

I'll probably do #3 with Dropbox, although I will be exploring whether Back to My Mac might do what I need it to do.