2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why spend any at all? 

This nonsense needs to be illegal.

When I read this, I desire context. What does the figure include? We have sort of a fuzzy public definition of lobbying, but I'd like to know what they considered lobbying dollars when it came to forming this statistic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Greasing the axles might get a little better valuation out of Apple.  Apple has enough money to spread around, so I don't see why it doesn't spend more than Google.  It might help Apple get a few more devices in the government.  Apple isn't going to go anywhere at this rate.  The Feds will be jumping on Apple for every little thing.  Apple needs to get a bit more clout in high places.  As a shareholder, I think it should be done.  Go with the flow.

While you're entitled to your opinion, we need less of this kind of crap, not more. The solution isn't to bring Apple down to Google's level.

• Reply 22 of 27
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Thank you for my check Tim.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member

Until it becomes possible to do no business whatsoever with corporations which subvert the democratic process, Apple is the best of a bad bunch

• Reply 24 of 27
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

I guess I am naive, but is lobbying just paying congressmen? Is it that if they contribute to a congressman's campaign fund, or his favourite charity, it is lobbying, but if they contribute directly to his bank account, it is a bribe?

From the article we can infer that the less you lobby, the less friends you have. That is a little blatant right? I'm sure the politicans in India are every bit as corrupt as those in the US, but all lobbying is kept strictly under the table and behind closed doors. The Indian rats at least try to keep up a facade.

• Reply 25 of 27
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I guess I am naive, but is lobbying just paying congressmen? Is it that if they contribute to a congressman's campaign fund, or his favourite charity, it is lobbying, but if they contribute directly to his bank account, it is a bribe?

No, that's not what lobbying is, at all. That's bribery. Neither is it necessary to do with procuring government contracts (that's a sales thing). Think more like trying to steer proposed legislation a certain way, that is beneficial to your company, or detrimental to the competition.

Then think about the enormous amount of privacy and IP legislation that has been discussed in recent times, and it'll become obvious how disconcerting that enormous amount of money Google spends on lobbying really is.

.tsooJ

• Reply 26 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Modern dictionary.

lobby (verb) to corrupt

example: The corporation lobbied Congress.

Was just about to ask what it meant. Thanks for a brief explanation.

So, in short, Google Pay big law man lots o' Benjamins so they no get cock slapped?

• Reply 27 of 27
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wednesday's report featured comments from Jeff Miller, who was previously a senior aide for 8 years on the Senate Judiciary Committee's Antitrust Subcommittee. He said he never had a meeting with any lobbyist representing Apple.

"There have been other tech companies who chose not to engage in Washington, and for the most part that strategy did not benefit them," Miller said

"engage in Washington"  WTF!!

Sounds like extortion of the highest order.