Google looks to replicate iOS Game Center, app purchasing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkingman View Post

Google copying Apple? Well I'm shocked.

What's perhaps as amusing is the implication that Google is going to improve the system by adding multiplayer functions etc but those are in Game Center for developers to use. it's not just keeping scores and those lame 'achievements'. Fruit Ninja is a classic example of real time multiplayer being done via GC. What is lame is that games don't use those options and make us split up across various systems. And when they do include GC they don't always give it the same functions. I remember getting Pocket Frogs cause a friend was raving about it. It had GC for tracking score stuff but if I wanted to trade frogs and such I had to sign up for their other network. No thanks. Double if that network uses Facebook for signing in. Every network that does that wants to get into all my info and I don't want a  'girls around me' stunt going on. I know developers would hate it but I wish that Apple had put in a rule that if you use something else you have to also put in GC with the exact same functionality so folks can choose which they want to use without penalty. 

• Reply 22 of 26

Well let's all take the time to wave goodbye to Game Boy and PSP's.  With everyone already carrying phones in their pockets, it's continually evident that their day are numbered when mobiles get up to speed on gaming.

• Reply 23 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papal Insider View Post

Well let's all take the time to wave goodbye to Game Boy and PSP's.  With everyone already carrying phones in their pockets, it's continually evident that their day are numbered when mobiles get up to speed on gaming.

Phones don't have squat on dedicated handhelds. And, particularly in the case of Nintendo, "It's the software, stupid." They've the best franchises in the industry.

• Reply 24 of 26

It's not very good journalism on Business Insider's part, the headline: "

GOOGLE AIN'T PLAYING: Will Clone A Key iPhone Feature

Is pretty telling of how they feel on the subject.  CLONE has a lot of implications that I'm doubtful are true.

• Reply 25 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Phones don't have squat on dedicated handhelds. And, particularly in the case of Nintendo, "It's the software, stupid." They've the best franchises in the industry.

Sure, for now, I think the majority of games on mobiles are weak.  But the market is growing rapidly, and more serious "real" games are being developed and released on the platforms.  I loved my game boy when I was younger but carrying a device dedicated to gaming just doesn't make sense for me.

• Reply 26 of 26
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Google copying Apple who copied Microsoft.

Now that is shocking! :)

I thought the same thing.

Are we pretending that Game Center wasn't at least inspired by Xbox Live?