Proview rejects Apple's $16M offer for 'iPad' trademark - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

I'm wondering why Proview doesn't offer the IPAD trademark for any iPad-clone makers and try to sell its right in China?

...if they were right about still having the trademark for China. It seems nobody believes they could win the case, not even the clone makers.

Do you think a buyer would buy something and build a business around it when Apple is on the other side of the table and the ownership of what you're buying is contested?  Really?

• Reply 42 of 98
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

No.  The only thing the offer suggests is that Apple is willing to pay $16M to end this.

So Apple is always willing to pay $16M to end issues that are easy to put to rest? 

Hmm, I've got some real estate for ya, mate ...

• Reply 43 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

So Apple is always willing to pay $16M to end issues that are easy to put to rest? 

The poster you're replying to is not suggesting what you said he is suggesting.  I think you know that.

• Reply 44 of 98

Quote:

Quote:

No.  The only thing the offer suggests is that Apple is willing to pay $16M to end this.

not all.

• Reply 45 of 98

Quote:

Quote:

not all."

Nah I saw it, that word "this" was really "every problem"  i saw it.  You're such a liar ;)

• Reply 46 of 98
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnoel View Post

I tend to agree- that was very sneaky indeed.  Not sure if it's illegal, but definitely shady.   

You want to see shady?

Here's Proview's 'Internet Personal Access Device':

IPAD.jpg

Look a little familiar to you?

Apple should begin legal proceedings against them for copying the iMac just to double their legal costs and make the whole thing look a little more unattractive for all those hoping to benefit from it.

• Reply 47 of 98

I am not a lawyer. but if it is a trademark issue I see a big difference between something called a Internet Personal Access Device (IPAD) and Apple's iPad. One is an abbreviation of 4 words and the other a logo or name in and of it's self. I am suer someone else has an explanation. Sorry or Thanks Dave

• Reply 48 of 98
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

Gold diggers.

• Reply 49 of 98
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnoel View Post

I tend to agree- that was very sneaky indeed.  Not sure if it's illegal, but definitely shady.   

In apple's defense, without the dummy corporation, everyone in the world would not only have known apple was building a tablet, but what the tablet was called. So the dummy corp protected them from losing value in the name before they had even launched a product.

IMHO the value of the mark is the value of the mark, it should not depend on who owns it and if they have deep pockets or not. "Oh it's Apple that wants it? That will be $100 bajillion dollars, please."

• Reply 50 of 98
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    No, there's absolutely nothing shady or illegal about that at all. The shady and illegal part comes when companies would have charged Apple MORE simply because they know it's Apple.

Google Blue Harvest.

Doesnt Apple get things cheaper because they are Apple? Like tax breaks on land. You and I couldn't get that. Its usually called swindling when one party approaches a second party with the intention to buy something not up for sale because the first party sees a worth that the second party is unaware of.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Doesnt Apple get things cheaper because they are Apple? Like tax breaks on land.

Not that I know of.

Quote:

Its usually called swindling when one party approaches a second party with the intention to buy something not up for sale because the first party sees a worth that the second party is unaware of.

But it was for sale.

• Reply 52 of 98

Quote:

Doesnt Apple get things cheaper because they are Apple? Like tax breaks on land. You and I couldn't get that. Its usually called swindling when one party approaches a second party with the intention to buy something not up for sale because the first party sees a worth that the second party is unaware of.

That's not called swindling

• Reply 53 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That's not called swindling

sure it is....

swin·dle

1. To obtain by fraudulent means

That's exactly what Proview is accusing Apple of. 

• Reply 54 of 98
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

... they think they can pull some strings and get things fixed.  And they may be right.  But I suspect eventually China will determine that letting this company die and not fleecing Apple will be in their best interests. 

I sort of agree...this isn't an issue of clear-cut merits.

The question is, whether Apple's "friends" (read, "partners"), in Chinese business have more, or less, influence with the Chinese government than Proview's "friends" (read, "debt-holders").

I 'sort of agree' because I, too, think it would be more in China's long-term interests to support Apple...but, even in China, there must be some version of "the old school tie".

• Reply 55 of 98

Quote:

sure it is....

swin·dle

What Apple is being accused of doesn't matter.  Fraud means something very specific, and Apple didn't commit fraud by hiding its identity.

• Reply 56 of 98
    mac-usermac-user Posts: 110member

Quote:

Do you think a buyer would buy something and build a business around it when Apple is on the other side of the table and the ownership of what you're buying is contested?  Really?

Many people suggested Apple to choose a different name for the product selling in China, especially if the court banned them. If Apple lost the case in Chinese court, it could mean that Proview is still the owner of the trademark of IPAD, for China, so it could sell the name for any clone tablet maker, that produces those clones anyways.

That's why I don't think packing iPad with a different name for Chinese market would be a good idea.

• Reply 57 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Fortunately, Apple didn't and wasn't, respectively.

• Reply 58 of 98

Quote:

What Apple is being accused of doesn't matter.  Fraud means something very specific, and Apple didn't commit fraud by hiding its identity.

I never said they were guilty of it only that they're accused.

• Reply 59 of 98

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Quote:

If Apple has indeed made an offer (and a non-trivial one at that), doesn't this suggest the case is not so open and shut, black and white or easy to put to rest?

Yes.

It is already over.  The trial has concluded.  There is nothing to end.

• Reply 60 of 98

Quote:

I never said they were guilty of it only that they're accused.

I don't understand why I need to you remind you of this.  What you said was "Its usually called swindling when one party approaches a second party with the intention to buy something not up for sale because the first party sees a worth that the second party is unaware of."

I said that that's not swindling.  Then mysteriously you started talking about something totally different.  Make up your mind.

What Apple is accused of has nothing to do with what your incorrect definition of swindling is.